The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Middle East Studies WebCT resources/doing a module and not going to lectures!

I’m Studying Geography and want to take this optional module in Middle East Studies for the spring semester:
http://winster.nottingham.ac.uk/modulecatalogue/asp/moduledetails.asp?crs_id=016184&year_id=000108

HOWEVER, it clashes with another lecture I can’t wriggle out of as a practical class follows it. I would have to leave half way through the lecture/half an hour before the end to get to Sir Clive Granger in time for my Geog lecture. So, a few Qs:

1) Will I be allowed to pick this optional module in the first place due to the timetable clash?

2) Does anyone know what Webct facilities will be put up for this module or middle east studies in general? Videos of lectures/lecture slides etc. so that if I do miss lectures I can catch up?

3) Has anyone attempted to do a module with coursework assessment like this one having not gone to lectures/missed lots can it realistically be done!?

4) Anyone who has studied this module, is it any good?
Reply 1
Dogfaceguy
I’m Studying Geography and want to take this optional module in Middle East Studies for the spring semester:
http://winster.nottingham.ac.uk/modulecatalogue/asp/moduledetails.asp?crs_id=016184&year_id=000108

HOWEVER, it clashes with another lecture I can’t wriggle out of as a practical class follows it. I would have to leave half way through the lecture/half an hour before the end to get to Sir Clive Granger in time for my Geog lecture. So, a few Qs:

1) Will I be allowed to pick this optional module in the first place due to the timetable clash?

2) Does anyone know what Webct facilities will be put up for this module or middle east studies in general? Videos of lectures/lecture slides etc. so that if I do miss lectures I can catch up?

3) Has anyone attempted to do a module with coursework assessment like this one having not gone to lectures/missed lots can it realistically be done!?

4) Anyone who has studied this module, is it any good?

Technically it doesn't clash if they don't start at the same time, so I don't see a reason why you can't take it. But it's whether you want to be missing out in the material at the end of the first lecture/miss out in the material at the beginning of the second lecture or not.

I highly doubt you'll get vidoes of lectures. I don't know any modules where videos of the lectures are put on WebCT. Lecture slides are usually posted on WebCT I would have thought unless the lecturer handwrites his material.

Can't answer your final two questions as I've not studied it.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Ah okay cheers, we get webct videos of lectures for Geog if they are held in Clive Granger's main lecture hall btw.:cool:
Reply 3
1. More than likely no, you'll be advised to choose another subject. Imagine if the exams are at the same time etc. Speak to your tutor about it, but they'll probably strongly advice against it.
2. More than likely you won't get any videos put up. You're lucky as it is that you're getting your geography ones. It'll mostly be lecture notes/handouts unless the lecturer is one of those that doesn't like to spoon feed in which case, you'll get zilch, which is bad.
3. It probably can be done but it will be very difficult. I've self studied before and it is a very very hard thing to do.
4. Can't answer.

5. I'm tired of studying pff! :hmpf:
Reply 4
Dogfaceguy
Ah okay cheers, we get webct videos of lectures for Geog if they are held in Clive Granger's main lecture hall btw.:cool:

I have some of my Economics lectures in CG A48 too and we've never had videos of the lectures on WebCT! :hmmm:
La Trampa

5. I'm tired of studying pff! :hmpf:

:ditto: Although I have been procrastinating a little too much today which is bad... :sigh:

Best of luck for the rest of your exams! :^_^:
Reply 5
I've been procrastinating the last couple of days,it's horrible. Goodluck to you too. I bloody hate exams :grr:
I studied that module in my first year. I went to the first lecture, half of the second and never went to another one because I found it all incredibly dull (not to say you will). I also got my lowest mark of my university career in it, but probably that had more to do with the fact that I wrote the essay in about three hours and didn't really do any research for it.
Reply 7
Dogfaceguy
Really? That's pretty cool. You mean A48? I've got a few lectures in there and no videos!
I too have lectures in A48 and no videos :frown:
Reply 9
Thanks for the input, guys.

RachelBabyfrog
I studied that module in my first year. I went to the first lecture, half of the second and never went to another one because I found it all incredibly dull (not to say you will). I also got my lowest mark of my university career in it, but probably that had more to do with the fact that I wrote the essay in about three hours and didn't really do any research for it.

Can you remember what resources they put up on Webct in the way of lecture notes, if any?

The attraction for me is a module with no exam, don't mind putting in some shifts in the library if it means one less exam.
Dogfaceguy
Thanks for the input, guys.

Can you remember what resources they put up on Webct in the way of lecture notes, if any?

The attraction for me is a module with no exam, don't mind putting in some shifts in the library if it means one less exam.

There weren't any resources outside of lectures as far as I remember, but this was three years ago so it may well have changed beyond recognition!

Latest

Trending

Trending