This discussion is closed.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well first of all heart bleeds I think you are the w****r. Ok its not life or death but your future career is pretty darned important I suspect you are just jealous because you didnt have the brains to make it into oxford. Most of us dont you know but you dont here the rest of us complaining.

Ok now to the question, well I think it really depends on what year you are in. If you are a first year or even an early second year you can prob change at least part of your choice to choose modules that might give you a better mark.
If you are a third year well it is still near the start of term. Have you seen your tutors to discuss your concerns?
Maybe there is something fundamental you are getting wrong that they could help you with. If not why cant you do the course have you had problems from the start or is it just with specific aspects. If it is aspects of the course have you thought of getting some extra tuition I am sure there are some people out there who wouldnt mind explaining problematic areas to you.
To be honest employers will still regard a third from Oxford as better than a first from some of the ex polys BTW there is nothing wrong with Hallam it is actually one of the best new unis.

There is still nothing to say that you cant change your mark and I wish you luck but i think you need to be pro-active rather than getting yourself into a state of panic. See your tutors to find out whether you get to the route of the problem.
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
--To be honest employers will still regard a third from Oxford as better than a first from some of the ex polys BTW there is nothing wrong with Hallam it is actually one of the best new unis.

Misconception...a 3rd class 'honours' has a similar effect to a criminal record on the C.V. Despite ex poly degrees being easier, in getting a first you are often right in the top cohort of people, possibly top 5%. Now, you may argue that you're only the best of a bad lot, but....no matter how bad the univ., finishing in the top 5% takes some doing. Basically, there's no comparison.

Although I agree with the rest of your post.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Well I know people with thirds from top unis who have found grad jobs far easier to find than a first in a mickey mouse degree from the joe bloggs university of crap (I'm not naming unis )
Maybe then thats got more to do with not what you know but who you know. I guess Oxford and Cambridge Grads are in a better position to network.

Besides you cannot deny that some of the degrees in the ex-polys are easier. I saw a friends disseration last year (she went to the joe bloggs university of crap.) It was completely biased, one sided and the English didnt even make sense and she got a 2.1. It just makes me feel that my 2.1 that I worked my arse off for was completely pointless. If i'd gone to her uni I could have got a first.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
Well I know people with thirds from top unis who have found grad jobs far easier to find than a first in a mickey mouse degree from the joe bloggs university of crap (I'm not naming unis )
Maybe then thats got more to do with not what you know but who you know. I guess Oxford and Cambridge Grads are in a better position to network.

Besides you cannot deny that some of the degrees in the ex-polys are easier. I saw a friends disseration last year (she went to the joe bloggs university of crap.) It was completely biased, one sided and the English didnt even make sense and she got a 2.1. It just makes me feel that my 2.1 that I worked my arse off for was completely pointless. If i'd gone to her uni I could have got a first.
The latter paragraph I agree with, entirely. As for people with 3rds finding work, they're either exceptions to the rule, or people who are working in fields that are not particularly competitive. The general rule is: if you have a 2:1 life can be hard, but you ought to eventually find something worthwhile....with a 2:2 you're in trouble, and with a 3rd you're dead. That's if you've studied at a good university, it works along those lines even if it's Oxbridge, LSE et al. The hilarious, "a 3rd from Oxbridge has the value of such n such", is just plain wrong. Just imagine applying for a job where a handful of people are choosen out of several thousand applicants!

A first class however will always command some degree of respect, even if it's from some unknown university. Of course some first class degrees are of far higher value than others.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Heart bleeds)
Oh how my heart bleeds! Which year are you in? If you have only just started then it's time to pull your thumb out of your backside and get your head down isn't it? You wouldn't have been accepted if they didn't think you had the potential to succeed, so stop whinging and crying about it and start working. The only person to blame is yourself if you don't do well enough. No offence, but what a ****! There are people starving, murdered, raped, little children dying from terminal diseases in the world and you're complaining about getting a third class degree at Oxford. I have no sympathy for you only contempt. No offence, but what a w***er.

The amount of anger in this post is astounding. I'm not sure exactly why, must come from some deep insecurity.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I am sorry to say that I have little feeling for the original poster other than to let them know that I am studying 2 A-levels in one academic year whilst working full time and I will be happy and feel I have achieved just if / when I get to University.

The red-brick that I think will be my 1st choice have made me an offer of "B" and "C" in my A-Levels to study my chosen subject of a qualifying Law degree with Politics.

For some one who is at one of the top 2 Uni's in the country they may have plenty of academic ability but he / she appears to be lacking in the common sense department.
UnregisteredP
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
I am sorry to say that I have little feeling for the original poster other than to let them know that I am studying 2 A-levels in one academic year whilst working full time and I will be happy and feel I have achieved just if / when I get to University.

The red-brick that I think will be my 1st choice have made me an offer of "B" and "C" in my A-Levels to study my chosen subject of a qualifying Law degree with Politics.

For some one who is at one of the top 2 Uni's in the country they may have plenty of academic ability but he / she appears to be lacking in the common sense department.
Perhaps the original poster is a bit depressed. Away from home maybe for the first time, feeling overwhelmed by the work load, thinking maybe he doesn't deserve to be there. For heavens sake, if it's his first year he and many, many others feel like this. One is very fortunate if one settle in straight away and has total confidence in everything the experience offers.
Where's the spark of understanding,empathy, compassion and encouragement?
unregister
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)

Are you a mature student? Which subjects are you taking? Night-classes I presume if you are working full-time. Good luck to you, I have alot of respect because A-Levels are hard enough without having to do a full-time job as well.
Unregis
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Well if u really do come out with a 3rd, thats fine. Those who can't....teach. And, although teaching gets stick, its a good job. You going in at 18 grand a year +, it has great promtional oppurtunities (head of year, head of departments, deputies, head teachers blah blah blah) Your post uni results are excellent and an employer would have to be a complete TIT to think you werent good enough.

And, as corny as it sounds, its never to late! Just go for it!
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Damien, I suggest you read this post:

http://www.uk-learning.net/t14776.html
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
To the original poster.
Are you just in your first year? If so have you considered the possibility of changing course/university. Perhaps you are not as suited to doing maths at this level as you thought? Why not chat to your tutor and get his opinion of how youre doing? It could be that youre just in a panic and maths is a bugger of a subject if youre stressed! If he feels that things are going badly you might change to a different course or even take a year out and reapply elsewhere for next year. Maybe a course with a mathematical content but less depth might suit you.Good luck.
Unregistered123
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Why doesn't he just quit and get a job in McDonalds. Because he is obviously thick and not cut out for higher education.
FudgeMonkey
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
In my previous life as an unreg i always wondered why every1 hated unreg's so much. Now i know why. How can some1 be able to get away with saying D**CKHEAD things, without people knwoing who they are.
Unregistered123
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by FudgeMonkey)
In my previous life as an unreg i always wondered why every1 hated unreg's so much. Now i know why. How can some1 be able to get away with saying D**CKHEAD things, without people knwoing who they are.

Because he asked for it and is obviously mentally ******ed. Boo hoo get the violons out, he is going to get a third at Oxford why does he expect any sympathy? It's his own fault for not working hard enough. Tough **** life sucks it's his own stupid fault.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered123)
Because he asked for it and is obviously mentally ******ed. Boo hoo get the violons out, he is going to get a third at Oxford why does he expect any sympathy? It's his own fault for not working hard enough. Tough **** life sucks it's his own stupid fault.
Fool! it's not like he don't care, he shows sadness at lacking something here. Why don't you try being in his shoes? But then I suppose you're too stupid, conceited and ignorant.
Unregistered123
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Fool! it's not like he don't care, he shows sadness at lacking something here. Why don't you try being in his shoes? But then I suppose you're too stupid, conceited and ignorant.

Actually, I have three first class degrees with honours from Cambridge in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and a masters degree in Natural Science. I am now doing my Ph.D in Astrophysics at the Calfornia Institute of Technology (Caltech). And I am soon to take up my post as Professor of Astrophysics at Harvard university. So yes I am really stupid aren't I. And yes I am conceited, I think I deserve to be from my academic achievements don't you?
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Actually, I have three first class degrees with honours from Cambridge in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and a masters degree in Natural Science. I am now doing my Ph.D in Astrophysics at the Calfornia Institute of Technology (Caltech). And I am soon to take up my post as Professor of Astrophysics at Harvard university. So yes I am really stupid aren't I. And yes I am conceited, I think I deserve to be from my academic achievements don't you?
*******s. I'd love to see all those degrees.
kildare
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Go home.
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
*******s. I'd love to see all those degrees.
Yeah talk about an eternal student - if it is true then they must have been at uni for at least 13 years already!!!
FudgeMonkey
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
Yeah talk about an eternal student - if it is true then they must have been at uni for at least 13 years already!!!
I like chickens....so sweet. Plus by far the nicest meat..yummy :P
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (73)
12.07%
Virtual campus tours/open days (148)
24.46%
Live streaming events (51)
8.43%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.09%
A uni comparison tool (141)
23.31%
An in-person event when available (137)
22.64%