This discussion is closed.
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by FudgeMonkey)
I like chickens....so sweet. Plus by far the nicest meat..yummy :P
We had all this last night - I'm not gonna get into it all again!!!!
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I like chickens....so sweet. Plus by far the nicest meat..yummy :P
Oi we've been there already!
FudgeMonkey
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Oi we've been there already!
I am very sorry!
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I am very sorry!
No need to be sorry dude(tte), you ain't done nothing wrong.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by unregister)
Are you a mature student? Which subjects are you taking? Night-classes I presume if you are working full-time. Good luck to you, I have alot of respect because A-Levels are hard enough without having to do a full-time job as well.
Yes, I am a mature student doing night-classes in Government & Politics (1 subject) and English Language.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
Yes, I am a mature student doing night-classes in Government & Politics (1 subject) and English Language.
As well as Full time employement!
FudgeMonkey
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
No need to be sorry dude(tte), you ain't done nothing wrong.
dude
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered123)
Actually, I have three first class degrees with honours from Cambridge in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and a masters degree in Natural Science. I am now doing my Ph.D in Astrophysics at the Calfornia Institute of Technology (Caltech). And I am soon to take up my post as Professor of Astrophysics at Harvard university. So yes I am really stupid aren't I. And yes I am conceited, I think I deserve to be from my academic achievements don't you?

Hmm, then you must be one in a million, literally. Of course you may well be a total fraud...? However, I am interested, what did you get in your GRE? A first class from Oxbridge and a poor GRE would most likely entail rejection. So, I am assuming you asbolutely ACED it.

Haz....I agree it does have value, not getting a 2:1 that is. Although, I have seen many people with 2:1's from Oxbridge being rejected without interviews at many top firms. Also, as for university academia (i.e. the guy above) life is very difficult if you have anything less than a first. In many other fields, a 2:2 is worth something, particularly from Oxbridge. However, do not be mistaken into assuming it places you very far down the pile.

J.S.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I'm sorry but this guy is a complete and utter a**hole. You have no idea why this person is averaging a third. They have said that they are working hard. You have no idea about a persons personal problems and things like that. They obviously wouldnt be posting in the forums unless they were concerned. People like you make me sick. And I'd just love to see your degrees you are so full of s**t!!
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered123)
Actually, I have three first class degrees with honours from Cambridge in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and a masters degree in Natural Science. I am now doing my Ph.D in Astrophysics at the Calfornia Institute of Technology (Caltech). And I am soon to take up my post as Professor of Astrophysics at Harvard university. So yes I am really stupid aren't I. And yes I am conceited, I think I deserve to be from my academic achievements don't you?
well that's strange, last time I checked, Cambridge have never given any undergraduate degrees in 'biology, chemitry or physics.'
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by DanMushMan)
well that's strange, last time I checked, Cambridge have never given any undergraduate degrees in 'biology, chemitry or physics.'
Hahaha! You suck! (Not you Dan...)
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
"Life can be hard with a 2:1"??? Nonsense! Get a 2:1 from Oxbridge and you're sorted. Get a 2:1 from any university in the country, and provided you're likeable (ie employable - evidence that you did something more than just study eg sports, societies) you're sorted. Get a 2:2 and you're OK provided you cane the interview. Get a 3rd and it's not necessarily the end of the world. There's people at college on their way to getting a 3rd who're going to land bloody good jobs, due to spending their time gaining prestigious Union positions instead of studying.

Didn't Richard Whitely get a 3rd from Oxford?
And Margaret Thatcher?

Anyway, there are no mathematicians at Trinity called Damian Holt.

There's nobody in the university called Damian Holt.
vorderman was in the 'nines club' (3rd in each of the 3 years) at Cam.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It isnt true actually that you are ok with a 2.1 I know plenty of people from different unis with 2.1s who graduated when I did 2001 with really crap jobs, some are still working in bars. The jobs market for grads has been really bad since sept 11th 2001. I think it is slowly getting better but it is still bad. Plus in recent years there have been an increased number of grads. Just check out a site for grads such as www.doctorjob.co.uk
to see that there is still a widespread problem with getting grad jobs, thats why there are such an increase of people doing masters degrees or teacher training.
This problem is ongoing. I have contacted some companies and graduate placement agencies already this year about jobs and placements and have been told even before they've seen my CV that places are really limited this year because of the economic situation.
Dont be fooled as well by the universtities employment statistics. You can be temping with an agency and they will count you on the stats as being in full time employment. You need to apply for jobs whilst you are in your third year because it can takes months of applications even to get decent interviews. Dont assume you are going to walk into a job if you graduate with a 2.1 it isnt the case at all and you could do with gaining other skills such as the clait and business technology skills because employers look for this as an extra.
It is really tough out there at the moment. I know people from unis such as Birmingam, Leeds, Durham who have got good degrees but no permanent job.
Sorry to be a pessimist but there we are.
DamianHolt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago

Of course not, i'm not really called 'Damian Holt'. Wow i can't believe that so many people have replied to this and not ****ged me off! Thanks, some helpful thoughts.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
"Life can be hard with a 2:1"??? Nonsense! Get a 2:1 from Oxbridge and you're sorted. Get a 2:1 from any university in the country, and provided you're likeable (ie employable - evidence that you did something more than just study eg sports, societies) you're sorted. Get a 2:2 and you're OK provided you cane the interview. Get a 3rd and it's not necessarily the end of the world. There's people at college on their way to getting a 3rd who're going to land bloody good jobs, due to spending their time gaining prestigious Union positions instead of studying.

Didn't Richard Whitely get a 3rd from Oxford?
And Margaret Thatcher?

I cannot even count the number of people I know from Oxford who have struggled with very good 2:1's. Especially in Law and I Banking, many get rejection without an interview...very common. Also, have a look at the postgrad requirements, i.e. LSE's MSc in Econ, also many of the PhD's at Cambridge...see what they ask for. LSE wouldn't consider you without a first for its MSc/PhD in Econ. You need a lot more than a mere 2:1 to get to the top. However, what I am saying is eventually you will find something worthwhile. Sorry, but the Oxbridge 2:1 and the world is your oyster view is crap...there's simply too much competition for that. The world may turn out to be your oyster, yes...however that will require a 2:1 and a lot of effort after it and that's just to get in.

As for a 2:2, you can rule yourself out of the above fields, unless you know a hell of a lota people. As for the people you mention, indeed....but it's 2003 now

J.S.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
Wow. I'm still living in this world where if I get a 2:1 the world's my oyster. But there's so many here who do nothing but work and don't have social skills; I think it's other stuff like work experience and elected committee positions that'll pull me through.

Yeah defo. You're absolutely right, what you do in your spare time is critical. It's a shame that there are people who only ever study, and see this as a passport to success. What are you looking to do?
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
Got a foot in every door, but no idea. Not journalism, don't think it'd be a gd profession - I sent a press release which was featured in BBC News & Telegraph yesterday, but they took out my name! Could do something UN or international relations related, I'm running for President of UN for the uni society later this term. Otherwise I'm attracted to big name multinationals and city life, but no idea what specific job... u?

Well, rather like you there are numerous things I'd like to do. Primarily, I want to go into academia, as lecturer in Development Economics. Perhaps in addition, work for some int. organisation, etc.

Well done on the press release!
wardz
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Despite ex poly degrees being easier"

That is the largest generalisation I have ever heard. I suppose you think every person that goes to one does "meeja studies" too?

I must get back to doing my easier law degree. After I have watched Trisha, Big Brother and The Salon first though..

Good Day!
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well, in all honesty, I have certainly come across far more sweeping generalisations than the above.

As for ex poly degree's, I don't think the original claim was to suggest that they're easy, just easier. If you do disagree, explain how you can maintain similar standards across such a diverse array of universities?

Lets consier: Department A: average A level grades 29.1 points
Department B: average A level grades 14 points

This is typical, statistically, the former is a traditional law school, the latter an ex poly. How could you possibly maintain similar standards...?
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by wardz)
"Despite ex poly degrees being easier"

That is the largest generalisation I have ever heard. I suppose you think every person that goes to one does "meeja studies" too?

I must get back to doing my easier law degree. After I have watched Trisha, Big Brother and The Salon first though..

Good Day!
No, it's a fair generalisation. The worse the uni (academically), the lighter the workload, and the 'easier' the final exam is (though not that significantly for the latter).

In the 2nd term here I had 2 essays A WEEK. At other unis for the same subject it'd be 2 essays A TERM.

I don't know where you are but you will be doing a slightly 'easier' law degree. And you probably won't have non-stop work for 8 consecutive weeks.

You get 1 chance to resit your 1st year exams here, if you fail again you're kicked out. At QMW you get two chances.

Come on, you know that getting a 1st from Cambridge means a lot more work and harder work than a 1st at Thames Valley, for the same subject.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (73)
12.07%
Virtual campus tours/open days (148)
24.46%
Live streaming events (51)
8.43%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.09%
A uni comparison tool (141)
23.31%
An in-person event when available (137)
22.64%