Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    No, it's a fair generalisation. The worse the uni (academically), the lighter the workload, and the 'easier' the final exam is (though not that significantly for the latter).

In the 2nd term here I had 2 essays A WEEK. At other unis for the same subject it'd be 2 essays A TERM.

I don't know where you are but you will be doing a slightly 'easier' law degree. And you probably won't have non-stop work for 8 consecutive weeks.

You get 1 chance to resit your 1st year exams here, if you fail again you're kicked out. At QMW you get two chances.

Come on, you know that getting a 1st from Cambridge means a lot more work and harder work than a 1st at Thames Valley, for the same subject.

Agreed. The point on retakes is valid. We too had only one chance. If you were to fail any exam in the 2/3rd years, you could retake, however you'd only be given 40%. In a course like Law, you're in real trouble with that, you'd need 80% (very rare) to turn that 40 into a 2:1...i.e. you are dead and may as well drop out.

It may enrage you if this weren't true at your particular institution, however, from what I know, people are able to retake readily at the former Poly's. Damn, I even know of people retaking AFTER the completed 3 years!!!

(Original post by Jools)
    More OxStu plugging...This Week:
    Prince Leaves for War
    Interview with Prince

and 'Hildabeast' makes the paper again! [Rach, penultimate paragraph]
    Hilda's Single Sex thing
    Nobody gives a ****. The only people that might read it are the people at Oxford. Nobody gives a **** about OxStu so **** off. Sick of hearing about it **** you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OxStu)
    Nobody gives a ****. The only people that might read it are the people at Oxford. Nobody gives a **** about OxStu so **** off. Sick of hearing about it **** you!
    usually v true but jools was referring to the prince of bhutan story which has true global appeal...it has been featured in papers across the globe. and since there are quite a few oxford people on this forum and this thread is about oxford univerisity, id say there are a fair few people who r interested in it so f**** u!

ReputationRep:
    I think it is a fair generalisation. I went to a good uni first time round, dont get me wrong it certainly wasnt a skive. I knew people then from school who went to other unis (ex polys) doing the same course as me who were doing absolutely bugger all work. Sometimes i'd see their essays and they were a pile of shite they would be lucky to get a third where I studied yet they would also end up with a 2.1.
    Now i am doing a postgrad at sheffield and I can safely say that the undergrads here are doing twice the work of the undergrads at my old uni so therefore probably 4 times the work of those people that I know that went to ex-polys. Yet the end up with the same grade. Its not fair it completely devalues the concept of a degree. It will get worse, the government are aiming to get over 50% (I think) of school leavers into university, but you are not going to get all these people passing with good grades at Oxford standard the only way round this is for the courses to be made easier at some unis. This means that the job situation will be harder because it is far harder for firms to judge who is most suitable. More and more graduates are doing postgrads despite the expense because of this and it is going to get worse and worse. I'm sure soon everyone will be doing masters leading to more and more forced to do PHDs this delays getting onto a good income and frankly sucks!

Many people are blaming this on the move away from finals onto coursework but I think that the only way round this problem would be to bring more regulations in place to standardise degrees across the universities. But I'm sure this would lead to higher dropouts rates or easier degrees.

ReputationRep:
    I think employers can tell the difference between where certain people get their degrees. Obviously you'd rather have a UCL graduate than a UEL graduate.
    The trouble is though that anyone can get a degree these days, which devalues them and their entry path (A-Levels). Just as A-Levels are devalued by the fact that anyone with 5 C+s at GCSE can take them (a low benchmark in my opinion).

ReputationRep:
    Well my mum was telling me that she heard on the radio this morning that they are talking about taking A Levels back to 100% exam instead of continual assesment, because they think that modular exams in which you can retake to not offer true indications of a persons aptitude and are not a good indicator for universities. They were 100% exam when I took them. Do all you guys do coursework now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DamianHolt)
    I'm confused. My life was going soooo well,....
    ...onto life's ****-heap at the end, regardless of what real talent you may possess.
    I really feel for you, not necessarily because of the fact that you might get a third and not a 2:2, 2:1 or 1st, but because you seem to believe that you are worthless without a high degree class. This is absolute rubbish. Granted, it may be easier to get on the 'career ladder' with a better degree class, but if you have the motivation (which from your post, it seems you do) anyone can lead a successful and fulfilling career. The best example I can think of is my own father. He failed his Irish equivalent of GCSEs the first time and then passed a few on a second try. He then dropped out of education at about age 17. Education just wasn't for him. He then went into the stamp auctioning business as an assistant before working his way up, albeit slowly, until he decided to start his own company in the stamp auctioning business. However, unfortunately this company was pretty much put out of business by a postal strike so my dad was left with trying to find another career. He moved into IT sales starting at the bottom as a salesperson. Through high motivation and a strong desire to be successful he climbed the ladder and is currently working for Cable and Wireless as a Director of Corporate Sales. Now this is without any formal qualifications of any kind apart from a few very dated Irish leaving certificate/GCSE-equivalent moderate passes. This and other examples provided by some other members in this thread go to show that education isn't everything, in fact it can mean very little. That's not to devalue education in any way, just to say that it's most definitely not the be-all and end-all of your life.

Regards,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DamianHolt)
    I'm confused. My life was going soooo well, and then I left the safety of Gloucestershire to go to Oxford University... Now what?

I'm quite clever, (10 A* GCSEs, 6 A for A-Level, multi-lingual, multi-instrumental), but I'm really struggling with my Mathematical Sciences degree at Trinity College Oxford. Even if I put lots of effort in, I expect I won't get better than a third. I realise that it's not the end the end of the world in that no-one's going to shoot me, but it's disheartening to think that I have no prospect whatsoever of getting any job or onto any postgrad course. Am I really this worthless and unemployable? Don't bother replying to say, "ha ha ha you're completely screwed!", I know that already, but I'd like to hear from anyone who's had a similar experience, or just anyone's constructive thoughts.

I don't want to sound like the spoiled bratt that I in fact am; I know that much worse things have happened to people than going to uni and getting a third. I'm just finding it difficult to come to terms with the fact that my career options consist of manual labourer or binman rather than management consultant or banker. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to work for KPMG even if they were glazed in honey, but it seems so unfair that any pathway to success seems to be blocked by the crushing stigma of this stupid degree, even though I dare venture that I am at least as talented as Joe Bloggs with a 2.1 in media studies from XYformer polytechnic. [No offence intended.]

If you're thinking of going to university, note that only degree class seems to matter to the obtuse set of people who unfortunately for me call themselves employers. Do an easy degree at an average university, have a little bit of fun whilst you're at it, romp home to your 2.1, and then you can get on with a successful life whilst I empty the wheelie bins at the bottom of your driveway on thursday mornings. Otherwise you might end up like me toiling all night and all day with an impenetrable subject, only to be dumped onto life's ****-heap at the end, regardless of what real talent you may possess.

Good chat but its still Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    hi damian holt, or whatever your true identity is...
    guess what?i am the living embodiment of your most horrifying nightmare:i got a third in English from Cambridge. and you know what?i'm absolutely f'ucked, so anyone reading this has got to accept that you really do need to seize the chance to prove yourself, cos after uni there aint no more chances. do your absolute best because both your uni and your grade are definately judged harshly, nobody wants a loser.i know oxbridge is often torture, but you need to be a hard nosed investor, just bite the bullet-get working your arse off because you're only as good as your last movie.i've got great gcses and a levels and i flunked cam cos i was ill, but all my prospective employers see is that big ugly THIRD.
    DONT DO IT,you wouldn't have been accepted if you were incapable of getting 2"1, just remember that dearie.good luck babies xxx
    [incidentally if anyone knows of anyone other than carole vorderman who got a third and went on to do well, let me know]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gail)
    guess what?i am the living embodiment of your most horrifying nightmare:i got a third in English from Cambridge. and you know what?i'm absolutely f'ucked, so anyone reading this has got to accept that you really do need to seize the chance to prove yourself, cos after uni there aint no more chances. do your absolute best because both your uni and your grade are definately judged harshly, nobody wants a loser.i know oxbridge is often torture, but you need to be a hard nosed investor, just bite the bullet-get working your arse off because you're only as good as your last movie.i've got great gcses and a levels and i flunked cam cos i was ill, but all my prospective employers see is that big ugly THIRD.
    DONT DO IT,you wouldn't have been accepted if you were incapable of getting 2"1, just remember that dearie.good luck babies xxx
    [incidentally if anyone knows of anyone other than carole vorderman who got a third and went on to do well, let me know]

Very useful advice for almost anyone that's contemplating university. It's so damn unfortunate, especially as you were ill. Just have to try and be persistent, all the best to you for the future. I sincerely hope you get that second chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Otherwise I'm attracted to big name multinationals and city life, but no idea what specific job... u?
    City life schmitty life

I'm allright jack keep your hands off of my stack!

MONEY

ReputationRep:
    maybe a bit late and OT but my maths teacher graduated with a first and masters from Oxford, then proceeded to the illustrious career of.......... binman. Yep no one would employ him so he had to do this. I guess the point is even if you have a great degree youre not garunteed a great job and the converse is also true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It'sPhil...)
    maybe a bit late and OT but my maths teacher graduated with a first and masters from Oxford, then proceeded to the illustrious career of.......... binman. Yep no one would employ him so he had to do this. I guess the point is even if you have a great degree youre not garunteed a great job and the converse is also true
    Yep - a really good degree can be a disadvantage in certain professions. I'm quite worried because I really want to be a teacher but I heard it can be difficult to get onto teacher training courses because of anti-Oxbridge bias. I hope this isn't the case

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Yep - a really good degree can be a disadvantage in certain professions. I'm quite worried because I really want to be a teacher but I heard it can be difficult to get onto teacher training courses because of anti-Oxbridge bias. I hope this isn't the case

What a horrific thought. Why should this be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Empedocles)
    What a horrific thought. Why should this be?

The good degree bias is just a sheer myth, nothing more. The problem however is that, some people think that having good grades means the world, (esp. in this forum), sometimes you want to laugh at these people, at other times you just feel sorry. If you spend 3 years working and doing little more, your chances of obtaining a half decent job are close to zero (unless you a very good liar and can make it seem as though you have been doing x, y, and z away from university.) The only field in which an excellent degree REALLY does hold its value is in academia, i.e. if you are seeking to become a top flight lecturer, it's essential.

What you need is actually pretty simple and it's almost always the same. Good grades, and a load of extra curricula activities, plenty of confidence in public speaking and also a reasonable ability in numeracy. These things are essential, if you lack them, you will be rejected, that's regardless of whether you have the top first class honours in your university. So, I suppose you COULD say that there's a de facto bias, i.e. most people that obtain firsts haven't participated in many extra curricula activities.

As for teaching, I would be very surprised if there's an anti Oxbridge bias. I want to become a lecturer, and there's a heavy bias in favour of Oxbridge and LSE, cannot imagine why it would differ elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It'sPhil...)

Matey, regardless of what Ive just typed out in the previous post, that's VERRRRRRY extreme, cmon, I'm sure there are other things he could have gotten into!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)

maybe the way to get round that is to go to Cam to do teacher training

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Matey, regardless of what Ive just typed out in the previous post, that's VERRRRRRY extreme, cmon, I'm sure there are other things he could have gotten into!!!!!
    Yeah, come on, what's the story there? It seems incredible. Was he a registered sex offender or something?! [Joking] Are you making it up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gail)
    My cousin's husband's mate got a third from Cambridge and walked into a dirctor's job at some company (can't remember the name of it). Getting a third may count against you if you apply immeidately to top jobs, but you can apply slightly lower down the corporate ladder and spend a little bit longer climbing it to reach the top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meepmeep)
    My cousin's husband's mate got a third from Cambridge and walked into a dirctor's job at some company (can't remember the name of it). Getting a third may count against you if you apply immeidately to top jobs, but you can apply slightly lower down the corporate ladder and spend a little bit longer climbing it to reach the top.

does anyone know what i can do now tho?please help,feel like i've ruined everything for ever-i want to be a lecturer, and do an MPhil, surely some london uni will take me??

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.