This discussion is closed.
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by gail)
does anyone know what i can do now tho?please help,feel like i've ruined everything for ever-i want to be a lecturer, and do an MPhil, surely some london uni will take me??

If you want to become a lecturer for the purposes of research and are attempting to get into a respected research led institution, I think first class honours would be what's needed. As for just broadly getting into academia, maybe there's sightly better hope. Of course there are universities that accept people with far lower. The only problem is, such graduate schools are often seriously lacking in quality. Also depends on the field, some grad. faculties are incredibly competitive, others are not. What is it that you're looking to do? And which institutions did you have in mind?
neon12
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
Hi
I can tell you that getting a third can be a real set back when looking for a career!Sounds very negative but it's a reality..sadly.

I speak from personal experience!Your situation might seem slightly/alot better compared to mine.!lol! Thankfully i can still laugh about it!!!

Basically i did not get one B/C in any of my academic grades!All the way to university!Ended up going to a bad London poli..who in all honesty are alot less picky when it comes to academic achievements.Not all of them i hastley add..some are are trying really hard to improve there standards.

It wasn't due to lack of abilty..which makes it even more painful!!! Solely to do with not realising how valuable education was and not realising the outcome it could have. Anyway ended up with a third..god knows how...was out at freinds most of the time!

But it has been a real demotivator and has been very difficult esp when the reality hit me that i might end up in the Call Centre at Barclays Manchester,that i was working at, working with people who ...hmmm...were ....different? and having to put up with hidoius Facist working rules!IT'S true what they say about call centres!!the whip and all!Makes it alot worse coming out of a academic institution and working in an enviroment that is totally degrading!But most of the people there did not know any different!

My degree was in marketing and media.

In the end i wasn't on sitting there and accepting it!Out of pure determination,motivation and organisation i managed to get a foot into the media i.e at a top production company.Sometimes people are under the impression that they can get bad grades becuase there raw talent will pull them through easily .Even the creative industries will put alot of emphasis on your grades...they asked me at the interview about the academic lapse...i put a positive spin on it and because some of the ideas i put forward were very good,they offered me the job as programme researcher...it was contract for 7 months..fantastic work.But it's a very unstable industry so im lookin elsewhere.Again having a bad academic record really does hold you back..no matter how much experience you've got..it can simply affect your confidence if nothing else and of course it will limit certain careers you can go into e.g Banking and Law.

So really make the best of it.It might be worthwhile transfering to a institution that will not be so academically harsh.You already have a strong foundation of qualifications.Your at a world class institution,grasp it with both hands..do whatever it takes to achieve your best academiclly.You can combine it with character and other skills that will also be very important to project you as a well rounded candidate.
It,ll be your ticket to alot of comfort,stabilty and ease..as far as the job markets concerned...in the future.

I really hope it works out for you mate.tc.mike

(soz about the typos)

GUESS IF YOU LOOK LIKE HER (Yamila Diaz btw)THEN GETTING A THIRD WON'T MATTER!!(joking girls)
Attached files
fussy
Report 17 years ago
I know personally many people who are currently in good jobs having graduated with 2:2s (Oxford). They may not have managed to get going in their careers of choice but are now comfortably placed in accountancy/ teaching/ civil service work. In fact, there seems to be very little relation between the quality of degree and people's current career. Others with 1sts can be found languishing in minor gvt positions and working at local papers for an absolute pittance. I got a 2:1 and am now bumming about trying to be good at things that don't need a degree at all, while temping (I haven't applied for any grad jobs).

Bear in mind that many of the impressive things that people become known for require no formal qualifications to do well (only some talent and practise) - writing, for instance.

Also, re MA/Phd courses: one can quite easily get onto most MA courses at universities below the top 5 and then go onto Phd. If you have a cracking idea and bust a gut writing a good thesis and networking then I don't see why past 'sins' (2:1 or below) wouldn't be forgotten when academic employers look at your CV. Or am I wrong here? (I certainly know that the quality of Oxford tutors varies from world-beating to just above average, and that many Phd students aren't that impressive at Oxbridge).

Oh yeah, and work your arse off (or switch course?) from now on if you want to get above a third. Those holidays are no more! Good luck and don't lose heart
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I believe Will Self received a 3rd class degree from Oxford University. Look where he is now

p.s. You didn't do the "I'm trying not to sound like a spoilt child" bit well. Sorry.
dsewell
Report 17 years ago
Mate,

I just graduated from the University of London with a 2.1. To make you feel better: I would S H R E D it, without a second's notice, to be able to do the following:

Potential Employer: "Anyways, where did you study old boy?"

You: "Cambridge my dear man."

Pot. Emp.: "Excellent, which College?"

You: "Trinity."

Pot. Emp.: "Super, when can you start?"

Seriously, put things in perspective: YOUVE GOT A DEGREE FROM THE BEST UNIVERSITY IN THE WORLD, and arguably its best constituent College. You can always say you didnt enjoy the subject, had some "personal probs", enjoyed the nightlife to much, or something.

YOU will be fine.

Cheers,
D
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
I believe Will Self received a 3rd class degree from Oxford University. Look where he is now

p.s. You didn't do the "I'm trying not to sound like a spoilt child" bit well. Sorry.
Carol Vorderman got a 3rd class from Cambridge as well..... she didn't end up on the heap - look where she is now...
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
If you are still here, I would really recommend researching actuaries, if you haven't already. A lot of maths graduates go into it. From what I undertsand if you can prove that you can pass the exams, then employers won't really care about your degree. The exams are meant to be very hard, but I expect you would do fine if you could get into Cambridge.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
Carol Vorderman got a 3rd class from Cambridge as well..... she didn't end up on the heap - look where she is now...
So did Richard Whitely, I beleive.
DamianHolt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by Harry Potter)
If you are still here, I would really recommend researching actuaries, if you haven't already. A lot of maths graduates go into it. From what I undertsand if you can prove that you can pass the exams, then employers won't really care about your degree. The exams are meant to be very hard, but I expect you would do fine if you could get into Cambridge.
hmmmn, they all want a 2.1 too as far as I can tell. and anyway, i never want to do maths again as long as i live! but thanks anyway. considering trying to get into accountancy at a **** firm. i've revised my expectations to a 2.2 now by the way!
DamianHolt
Rep:
?
on smack.

I know, that's because i AM a spoilt child.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by DamianHolt)
hmmmn, they all want a 2.1 too as far as I can tell. and anyway, i never want to do maths again as long as i live! but thanks anyway. considering trying to get into accountancy at a **** firm. i've revised my expectations to a 2.2 now by the way!

ahh, that's great, now all that's needed is to 'revise' your expectations one step further
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by DamianHolt)
I know, that's because i AM a spoilt child.
I could reveal your identity to the world wide web, "Damian". But that would be cruel.
Bigcnee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
A Third Class degree from anywhere is worth little.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
A Third Class degree from anywhere is worth little.
What is woth more a 1:1 in Physics from say TVU or a 3rd class in the same from Oxford?
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
What is woth more a 1:1 in Physics from say TVU or a 3rd class in the same from Oxford?
If someone gets a third from Oxford, they are just plain lazy and will never be able to brush that off.
DamianHolt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jools)
I could reveal your identity to the world wide web, "Damian". But that would be cruel.
noooo, don't do that please Jools, I'll be dead embarassed! I'd be intrigued to know how you worked it out! your powers of deduction are strong. send me a private message.
Bigcnee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
The 1:1 from TVU.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
More OxStu plugging...This Week:
Prince Leaves for War
Would this be the same member of royalty who you said got in, slightly suspiciously, with BBC?
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
Would this be the same member of royalty who you said got in, slightly suspiciously, with BBC?
Nope, both him & his brother got top grades to be here. There's more than one set of royalty around this celebrity-fest uni...
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
The 1:1 from TVU.
TVU?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (73)
12.09%
Virtual campus tours/open days (147)
24.34%
Live streaming events (51)
8.44%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.11%
A uni comparison tool (141)
23.34%
An in-person event when available (137)
22.68%