Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    yeah i agree, there are many people who didn't even pass in oxford but are successful today eg Tony Blair. he didnt even pay his fees and hes the Prime Minister.
    anyway does any one no wat gcses u must get to get into oxford or cambridge cause i dont think i will get all A*s - probably all A's and 2 B's.

ReputationRep:
    A levels are far more important as is a good well balanced personal life (i.e extra activities). A and B's are probably ok for Oxford as longs as you get A's and maybe a B at A level in good subjecs.

ReputationRep:
    When I read the starter post in the thread, I felt that I COULD sympathise with the original poster, because I think he represents an overlooked minority of those at uber prestigious unis like Oxford. I don't believe in saying "things will get better.." blah blah.. but I can say that I do understand.

I put myself in his position. Similar to him, I have gotten 6As for AS so far, and by now I am certain that I will get As for A2Maths and F Maths. Maths and F Maths at A Level is a breeze.. my maths class averages 90% with many of us getting 95%+ for all modules. HOWEVER, I can safely say that I would not be able to do a Maths degree at any university..forget Oxford even!

What I'm trying to get at is that Damian may have been a wonderful mathematician at A Level, but maybe now at uni when standards are upped many fold, he's having a real hard time. Also, many people have said that he's lazy because he had the 'potential' to achieve but didn't. Hmm.. I think we must realise that 'potential' isn't quantifiable and Oxfords entry tests are NOT foolproof! If I had applied to Oxford and hadbeen accepted (by some weird chance) I would be in a similar situation. Damian's situation is probably worsened by being surrounded by geniuses who are really good at uni Maths. It's really demoralising.

I believe that it still isn't the end of the world though. If Damian is in his 1st or 2nd year, there is still lots he can do about it. But he's gotta start believing in himself first. Someone who writes a post like that must really be in despair. After Oxford, there's still a chance to take up a second degree after serious thoughts of where his talents lie.

Well, this is a very disjointed post. I just felt I had to say something coz' I was quite disappointed to see the few expletives thrown at him. Well *Damian*, take care! It really isn't the end of the world. xoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    "if a guy of your intelligence cant get a fisrt class degree",
    "should get a fist class degree".
    However... a man of your intelligence Mr DamianHolt gets a first class degree be proud.

But you've got all of the education behind you. I'm sure you could talk to someone and get some help and push your way up to the 2.1 level. You obviously got in on brains and not money, so you have a chance.

And I'm pretty sure that there's plenty more jobs in life between management consultant and binman.

ReputationRep:
    and its not that bad being a binman either, im sure that u get paid alot for being bill gates' binman :confused:

ReputationRep:
    And we shouldn't be putting down the job of garbologist after all you can do a degree in Garbology.

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly sure nobody cares and nobody will read this, but in case anyone does, the good news is that I got a 2.1 in my degree, thanks to bloody hard work. Thanks to all the people who were nice and encouraging, and up yours to all of those who were disparaging and said i couldn't do it. Hurrah

ReputationRep:
    Well done mate. I'm not sure anyone said you couldn't do it. Just that you'd have been up **** creek had you actually got a third.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muncrun)
    Well done mate. I'm not sure anyone said you couldn't do it. Just that you'd have been up **** creek had you actually got a third.
    i was referring mainly to my tutors, who told me i'd get a third and basically abandonned me completely from the beginning of the second year onwards.

ReputationRep:
    Nice one mate Just read your first post now

ReputationRep:
    To be fair even if you go to Oxbridge as a third is a **** degree - it says I went to uni and either a) got pissed 24/7, b) am stoopid. You can possibly scrape by with a desmond, but in today's world of work you need a 2:1 to be considered a true "graduate". Glad the guy got his 2:1 as it shows that a bit of effort does pay off.

ReputationRep:
    Fair play to ya mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DamianHolt)
    i was referring mainly to my tutors, who told me i'd get a third and basically abandonned me completely from the beginning of the second year onwards.
    Well, I guess what your tutors said that scared the daylights out of you eventually worked!!

You ought to buy them some presents

ReputationRep:
    don't have a lot of experience with the whole oxbridge thing so could be posting a load of bull but my cousin went to cambridge, did maths, got a third but still got hired by an actuarial firm (towers perrin). according to him, employers do understand that a third in maths from oxbridge is still an achievement, far better than a first from many other uni's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    To be fair even if you go to Oxbridge as a third is a **** degree - it says I went to uni and either a) got pissed 24/7, b) am stoopid. You can possibly scrape by with a desmond, but in today's world of work you need a 2:1 to be considered a true "graduate". Glad the guy got his 2:1 as it shows that a bit of effort does pay off.
    No offense (you can probably see the insults coming now but Thats bull a degree is a degree even if its not with honours it is still a degree, so what you might not get on a grad training scheme, but you can still get a better job than someone with out a degree.

And are you saying that becouse someone gets a 2:2 or a 3rd they're not a graduate? And can't get a decent job? Its like when people say if you get anything lower than a C at alevel thats it you might as well give up now and work in a dead end job for the rest of your life.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.