The Student Room Group
Excellent selection :smile: English, maths and double science are the core subjects, so you'll need to do as well as you can in those. English lit, history, French and German are all good, academic subjects and then you have art to give you a break. It's good that you're only doing one practical subject though because otherwise you'd get snowed under with coursework. I did 7 of those subjects: English, English lit, maths, double science, French and history.
Reply 2
I thought english lit was compulsary. :redface:

You made good choices on the subjects. I think you can choose anything you want at this stage. When you get to A-levels, the entry requirements are usually 5 GCSEs preferably including maths and english grades A*-C.
trev
I thought english lit was compulsary. :redface:

You made good choices on the subjects. I think you can choose anything you want at this stage. When you get to A-levels, the entry requirements are usually 5 GCSEs preferably including maths and english grades A*-C.

I think it is in most schools. In my school it was compulsory for everyone except the bottom 2 or 3 sets out of 9. I just meant it's not as important as English because that's the one all employers want at grade C or above.
Reply 4
do not do art. do not do art. do not do art.

that's my view anyway. why? well, it takes up too much time, and it's all just an exercise of fulfilling assesment objectives.
Reply 5
kellywood_5
I think it is in most schools. In my school it was compulsory for everyone except the bottom 2 or 3 sets out of 9. I just meant it's not as important as English because that's the one all employers want at grade C or above.

I'm just wondering why schools make students do GCSE eng lit. GCSE english would be enough already though.

If the person wants to do A-level English Lit, they only just need GCSE English and not eng lit.

chewwy
do not do art. do not do art. do not do art.

that's my view anyway. why? well, it takes up too much time, and it's all just an exercise of fulfilling assesment objectives.

It's up to her to choose though. :p: She might be talented so she chose it, you never know. In addition, Art is quite practical (i.e. drawing, painting, etc..) so it might be suitable for her.
trev
I'm just wondering why schools make students do GCSE eng lit. GCSE english would be enough already though.

If the person wants to do A-level English Lit, they only just need GCSE English and not eng lit.

That must depend on the school/college as well....At my school, you need CC in English and English lit, but they're pretty lenient about it. They let quite a few people in with CD, the D being in lit.

Latest