St. Andrews vs. Durham Watch

This discussion is closed.
Patroclus
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Which is the better uni in general, St. Andrews or Durham?
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It depends on the course you want to study there. In addition, do you want to know the gernalisation of which uni is better or by which course you're studying?
Patroclus
I just want to know the general opinion of people in regards to the overall quality of research, teaching and reputation.
RachelBabyfrog
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Depends on the department (I have to say that, or my St. Andrew's bound friend will have my guts for garters), but while they're both well regarded, I'd probably say Durham has the better general reputation... that's just from the impression I've got.
buxtonlewis
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would say that both are fairly equal. St Andrews is better known in the USA apparently. Although, the "older generation" ie parents age and older seem to think Durham is amazing...and I am not doubting that, but people of my generation (well, in Brighton) havent really heard of it, unless they have had parents that went to Uni (neither of mine did). I have also heard that Durham isn't as good now as it used to be, dont know if there is any truth in that...? And if I am honest, I hadn't heard of St Andrews until Prince William went there. And I heard about Durham only last year when a friend said you can live in a castle if u you go there lol!

Sorry, that post wasn't much use... I would say the differences are negligible!

Jump
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'd say Durham but only just plus St Andrews location is pretty poor in my opinion.
Patroclus
(Original post by buxtonlewis)
I would say that both are fairly equal. St Andrews is better known in the USA apparently. Although, the "older generation" ie parents age and older seem to think Durham is amazing...and I am not doubting that, but people of my generation (well, in Brighton) havent really heard of it, unless they have had parents that went to Uni (neither of mine did). I have also heard that Durham isn't as good now as it used to be, dont know if there is any truth in that...? And if I am honest, I hadn't heard of St Andrews until Prince William went there. And I heard about Durham only last year when a friend said you can live in a castle if u you go there lol!

Sorry, that post wasn't much use... I would say the differences are negligible!

Thanks!!! Congrats with your offers. Bristol is amazing. Went there on an open day. I live near Durham, and it's a bit too small for me. Though very friendly and picturesque.
buxtonlewis
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Patroclus)
Thanks!!! Congrats with your offers. Bristol is amazing. Went there on an open day. I live near Durham, and it's a bit too small for me. Though very friendly and picturesque.
Thanks!! Congratulations with your offers too, you must be pleased! I went to Bristol last week and really loved it!! Gotta go and see Durham though. I do think it will end up being Bristol. Although Durham is picturesque, I already live in a nice little village (Durham is a city I know, but only due to the cathedral, I have been told its basically a large village lol) at the moment, so maybe a change would be good..?

Anyways, congrats again with your offers, good luck in making yours choices!

byeeee
retro_x
Report 13 years ago
so in general, is st. andrews bigger or durham?
Patroclus
(Original post by retro_x)
so in general, is st. andrews bigger or durham?
Durham is the bigger of the two. The uni is double the size of St. Andrews. 7K vs. 14K students. The city is also alot bigger. The city centre actually has some good shops and pubs, bars...
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
St Andrews and Durham are both very unique universities, each will offer you an experience you wouldn't get elsewhere. Basically it is difficult to say which one is 'better' than the other because they both have their strengths and weaknesses. Durham City is quite a bit larger than St Andrews and has more stuff in it but St Andrews probably has one of the most closely knit student communities I have experienced, but these things have there advantages and disadvantages.

Basically pick the one you like, a good degree from either institution is very highly regarded so you won't have problems there.

Of course St Andrews is a proper ancient university not just a pretend fake one like Durham, RAH! :evil:
Patroclus
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
St Andrews and Durham are both very unique universities, each will offer you an experience you wouldn't get elsewhere. Basically it is difficult to say which one is 'better' than the other because they both have their strengths and weaknesses. Durham City is quite a bit larger than St Andrews and has more stuff in it but St Andrews probably has one of the most closely knit student communities I have experienced, but these things have there advantages and disadvantages.

Basically pick the one you like, a good degree from either institution is very highly regarded so you won't have problems there.

Of course St Andrews is a proper ancient university not just a pretend fake one like Durham, RAH! :evil:
Thanks, I agree. I've decided on St Andrews. I've lived near Durham for three years now and it's time to get away.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1047)
79.02%
Leave (278)
20.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise