Schoolgirl wins appeal to wear jihab at school Watch

This discussion is closed.
Weejimmie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by technik)
normally its applied back 1 or 2 generations. not millions of years.
By people who arrived three or four generations ago, yes- they are all equally arbitrary.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
normally its applied back 1 or 2 generations. not millions of years.
Not according to the left. They're forever reminding me that I am in fact African. :rolleyes:
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Weejimmie)
By people who arrived three or four generations ago, yes- they are all equally arbitrary.
who arrived 3 or 4 generations ago...?
Weejimmie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
who arrived 3 or 4 generations ago...?
The ancestors of many people who regard people whose ancestors arrived one or two generations ago as still foreign.
yawn
Badges: 13
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Not according to the left. They're forever reminding me that I am in fact African. :rolleyes:
But Howard, to be fair - you DID say you were black some months ago on this forum - don't you remember - to shut up some person who was accusing you of being anti-black.
technik
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The ancestors of many people who regard people whose ancestors arrived one or two generations ago as still foreign.
which people are they?

3 or 4 generations back would be WW1 times no?
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
But Howard, to be fair - you DID say you were black some months ago on this forum - don't you remember - to shut up some person who was accusing you of being anti-black.
That's true. A bit underhand wasn't it? Actually I'm Chinese.
Weejimmie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
which people are they?
Varies from country to country.

3 or 4 generations back would be WW1 times no?
Depends on age, parental age etc: c. 1850 to 1920.
Three or four generations is an equally arbitrary limit.
yawn
Badges: 13
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
That's true. A bit underhand wasn't it? Actually I'm Chinese.
Prove it!
technik
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Varies from country to country.Depends on age, parental age etc: c. 1850 to 1920.
Three or four generations is an equally arbitrary limit.
id say quite a substantial proportion of the UK populations ancestors have been here many hundreds of years, perhaps even more.

i know 1 rough and incomplete family tree for my lot has us in the ulster region of ireland going back to the late 1700's at least, and judging by my surname, coming from scotland sometime before that.
Spoon
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I completely disagree with this girl's request, even though i am a practising Muslim. From her speech it appeared to me that she was a fairly naive girl ('look at me i'm being discriminated against because of 9/11' attitude) , who as pointed out has been used and influenced by the teachings of an extremist group Hizbul Tahrir. The school accomodates muslims in so many aways including the provision of halal meals, wearing the shalwar kameez (which is acceptable Islamic dress as is Western Clothing), prayer times etc

The UK is by FAR the most tolerant western nation to Muslims . It's a crying shame that some do not appreciate this fact and continue to push the establishment for outlandish requirements which they then attribute to the faith. "It is amazing that in the so called free world I have to fight to wear this attire"(Shabina Begum) So if she calls this "oppression" god knows what states such as Saudi Arabia are perpetuating then! Attention seekers really annoy me, she should have quitely gone to an Islamic School. Oh and she is also asking for compensation...
Ding Dang Doo
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Agent Smith)
With regard to DingDangDoo; I would not call it a misunderstanding. Au contraire: it is a very pragmatic worldview. On the other hand, I find the disregard for the value of human beings obnoxious. That's just my opinion, and it can sometimes be hard to explain. While I am disgusted by the acts he has caused, I nevertheless believe that even Usama bin Laden has a right to live. Other people - supporters of the death penalty, for instance, assert that some humans either forfeit this right by their actions or simply prove themselves to be inhuman.

I would be interested to see DingDangDoo's take on soldiers. Given that they kill so for a living, would they count as deserving of torture?

More to the point: Even if one accepts the questionable statement that some people deserve to be tortured, what of the torture of innocent people?

Finally I would ask if DingDangDoo has any personal experience of torture, or of having his/her/its own fundamental rights taken away.
No, i dont think that innocent people should be tortured, thats insane. It should be the people who do this / people who kill on mass like leaders of terrorist organisations that deserve to be tortured. Why should they end so many lives and ruin many more through the loss of families, and disabling injuries / burns, just to be left to live an easy life in a prison?

Soilders fighting for us shouldnt be tortured, the enemy, maybe. They could have useful information that could prevent the suffering of many others. Plus, they should know what they are getting themselves in for before they sign up to the front line. And why should there be rules in war, it is not a game!

And no i have never been tortured, i have never done anything that deserves it. And dont know what all my fundamental rights are, but i doubt they have been taken away.

How long have these rights been around for anyway? Didnt people live fine before they were dreamt up?
technik
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Spoon)
I completely disagree with this girl's request, even though i am a practising Muslim. From her speech it appeared to me that she was a fairly naive girl ('look at me i'm being discriminated against because of 9/11' attitude) , who as pointed out has been used and influenced by the teachings of an extremist group Hizbul Tahrir. The school accomodates muslims in so many aways including the provision of halal meals, wearing the shalwar kameez (which is acceptable Islamic dress as is Western Clothing), prayer times etc

The UK is by FAR the most tolerant western nation to Muslims . It's a crying shame that some do not appreciate this fact and continue to push the establishment for outlandish requirements which they then attribute to the faith. "It is amazing that in the so called free world I have to fight to wear this attire"(Shabina Begum) So if she calls this "oppression" god knows what states such as Saudi Arabia are perpetuating then! Attention seekers really annoy me, she should have quitely gone to an Islamic School. Oh and she is also asking for compensation...
:congrats:

she should be excluded from the school.
Douglas
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
"Our senior judiciary has now become a positive menace to the liberties for which we are fighting. Naïve to the point of idiocy, they are so blinded by their politically correct obsession with minority rights and the need to follow slavishly the socially destructive and implacable logic of human rights law that they cannot even grasp that what they are being asked to do will actually imperil members of a minority at the hands of their own extremists.
""politically correct obsession" And herein lies the problem. Wake up everybody, Britain is YOUR country. You've established the set of laws,rules and obligations that everyone will live by. If someone wants to immigrate to YOUR country, they live by your rules, NO EXCEPTIONS, clear and simple. The fact that this young lady was able to bring this idiosy to the courts, is an injustice in and of itself.

If I were to emmigrate to Saudi Arabia, I would expect to live by their rules NO EXCEPTIONS.

So what I'm saying is, fuk this politically correct bullshlt, let's get back to a little common sense, a little logic, a little rational thought, a little deductive reasoning.
Ding Dang Doo
Report 13 years ago
:congrats:

she should be excluded from the school.
she should be excluded from the country!
Weejimmie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
id say quite a substantial proportion of the UK populations ancestors have been here many hundreds of years, perhaps even more.

i know 1 rough and incomplete family tree for my lot has us in the ulster region of ireland going back to the late 1700's at least, and judging by my surname, coming from scotland sometime before that.
Many of your fellow-Irishmen don't think that long makes you Irish though. Equally, many of my relatives [who moved from Ireland to Scotland on the nineteenth century] think they're still Irish.
Weejimmie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Ding Dang Doo)
And no i have never been tortured, i have never done anything that deserves it. And dont know what all my fundamental rights are, but i doubt they have been taken away.
You favour taking human rights away. Yours go too. One basic human right is not to be punished without just cause. If you have no human rights you cannot say you have never done anything that deserves torture. Without human rights it is not a matter of what you "deserve": it is a matter of whether someone wants to torture you.

How long have these rights been around for anyway? Didnt people live fine before they were dreamt up?
Take a look at history. Most people for most of history didn't "live fine". Human rights are an attempt to enable people to live less badly.
galadriel100
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Here in Australia, pepole ar quite free to wear what they like.
Though, there is one stroy of a boy, who has an afro, and they excluded hi from the year book, because the teachers thought it was untidy or something.
MC
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by galadriel100)
Here in Australia, pepole ar quite free to wear what they like.
Though, there is one stroy of a boy, who has an afro, and they excluded hi from the year book, because the teachers thought it was untidy or something.
Happens here as well. At my high school, they made the boys cut their hair if it got past a certain length, and sent them home if they refused.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mad Caddie)
Happens here as well. At my high school, they made the boys cut their hair if it got past a certain length, and sent them home if they refused.
Are girls permitted to grow their hair beyond the length that guys can't?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (61)
19.87%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (122)
39.74%
Nope, not that interesting (124)
40.39%

Watched Threads