Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by technik)
    judging by your name, they're from west or north belfast...

and therefore would call themselves irish. delusion is a funny thing
    That's another thing I find distasteful about living in NI. People make judgements based on family names.

I know a family who emigrated to Australia specifically to get away from the sectarian divide in NI. Whist they lived in NI the father had to change his name from Clarke to Clark to get employment as the name with an 'e' signified he was Catholic and prevented him getting a job.

Is it still that bad there now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    One anomaly I find strange is that Britain is comprised of England, Scotland and Wales - Northern Ireland is not included in the title Great Britain but only the United Kingdom - and yet residents of Northern Ireland can claim to be British! But then, so can millions of people from other countries all over the world.
    would you prefer "united kingdomer" ? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Is it still that bad there now?
    not if you're a catholic.

not if you're a catholic.
    That's good to hear. So Catholics no longer have to hide their religious inclinations to get employment - that is some progress that we have to thank the Civil Rights movement for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    That's good to hear. So Catholics no longer have to hide their religious inclinations to get employment - that is some progress that we have to thank the Civil Rights movement for.
    i know you're taking the piss...so stop it now

would you prefer "united kingdomer" ? :rolleyes:
    I think that has a very distinct air of grandeur about it - and it removes all those other 'colonials' from the description that 'British' has.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    I think that has a very distinct air of grandeur about it - and it removes all those other 'colonials' from the description that 'British' has.
    seems over complicated to me.

i know you're taking the piss...so stop it now
    I am not the one taking the piss - I am the one who is genuinely pleased about the progress that has been made in NI since my dad's unfortunate friend had to leave NI to seek sanctuary from discrimination.

And I have already answered your question on United Kingdomer is that is what you are referring to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    I am not the one taking the piss - I am the one who is genuinely pleased about the progress that has been made in NI since my dad's unfortunate friend had to leave NI to seek sanctuary from discrimination.

And I have already answered your question on United Kingdomer is that is what you are referring to.
    you're genuinely ignorant then...

you're genuinely ignorant then...
    You think so or you would rather brand me thus because I am highlighting historically accurate facts!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/war/tro.../nicivil.shtml

That's just the starters. There is loads more but I am loathe to go back in history as we should learn from it and move forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    You think so or you would rather brand me thus because I am highlighting historically accurate facts!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/war/tro.../nicivil.shtml

That's just the starters. There is loads more but I am loathe to go back in history as we should learn from it and move forward.
    a step forward, and a step back does not equal progress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)

The "province" of Ulster comprises 9 counties, three of which are in the Republic of Ireland so those are not part of Northern Ireland.
    Actually I was talking about the province of Northern Ireland, which is a province of the United Kingdom in whole, not part.

(Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Actually I was talking about the province of Northern Ireland, which is a province of the United Kingdom in whole, not part.
    Northern Ireland is not a province. It is a political description of 6 counties out of 9 within the province of Ulster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    One anomaly I find strange is that Britain is comprised of England, Scotland and Wales - Northern Ireland is not included in the title Great Britain but only the United Kingdom - and yet residents of Northern Ireland can claim to be British! But then, so can millions of people from other countries all over the world.
    It's not an anomaly at all, Ireland is part of the British Isles, Great Britain is merely the largest Island in the british isles (hence the 'great').

(Original post by ChemistBoy)
    It's not an anomaly at all, Ireland is part of the British Isles, Great Britain is merely the largest Island in the british isles (hence the 'great').
    We're doing tit for tat now are we?

What is Great Britain? Great Britain is England, Wales and Scotland.

What is the United Kingdom? The United Kingdom is England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

Who is British? English, Northern Irish, Scottish and Welsh. And many, many other nations throughout the world.

That is the anomaly I referred to - the actual words 'Britain' and it's derivative, 'British'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    We're doing tit for tat now are we?

What is Great Britain? Great Britain is England, Wales and Scotland.

What is the United Kingdom? The United Kingdom is England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
    Look I am not arguing with you for the sake of it. The British Isles is more than just great britain (what about all the British people that live on other islands?), this is a fact of geography. Technically any resident of the British Isles is entitled to call themselves British. In reality the term has been adopted by Citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland for obvious reasons (try saying that when you are drunk).

Basically Great Britian doesn't have the monopoly on the word British.

Who is British? English, Northern Irish, Scottish and Welsh. And many, many other nations throughout the world.
    What nations? Please list them...

What nations? Please list them...[/QUOTE]

They will all be found on this website - they are too numerous to list!

http://www.ukpa.gov.uk/textonly/engl...s_eligible.asp

ReputationRep:
    I think that if they wish to come to this country to live, they should abide by our rules. If we were to go to their countries of origin, we would probably be killed- they should be thankful this is a democratic christian country, a religion that does not condone violence (unlike some religions which shall remain anonymous).

I think that the girl should not be allowed to wear it. The point of a uniform is that it makes everyone equal. What if she made herself stad-out from the crowd? Would she then sue the school for racism? The fact that she is trying to seperate herself from everyone else could fall back on her.

I dont mean this too rudely- but did you listen to her voice, jesus christ?! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Think what it might be like for some Portuguese people to be mistaken for Spanish people!
    Canadians get pretty pi**ed off when we always call them american!! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Northern Ireland is not a province. It is a political description of 6 counties out of 9 within the province of Ulster.
    its generally referred to as "the province"

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.