The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
englishstudent
Libertines - Campaign of Hate (quality needless to say). :biggrin:

Well I think it's super. I'll try and remember that one.
Reply 141
englishstudent
Well of course there is. There is no reason why women should be made to cover themselves. I know that the burkha is different, but it is all symptomatic of the same problem. Women are not treated fairly or with equality.
I wasn't by any means saying it is a good thing and I don't advocate it at all. I was actually talking about the parents of a girl - they wouldn't make their daughter do it if they thought it was repressive. Indeed, the girl would never think it is either - we want her to know better, yes, but we can't just pass it off as universally "repressive" because no doubt muslims don't agree; even the girl is brainwashed to be happy no other way. It's like, as soon as the regime in Afghanistan was lifted, many women stopped wearing a burkha but most did not, because it was so much a part of their lives. Taking off a burkha for them is like stripping completely for us. And yet we don't call our clothes "repressive" do we? Having to wear headscarves is terrible from our point of view because we like to see equality and liberty between men and women. But there's not much you can do when muslims DO NOT believe men and women are equal :frown:

englishstudent
Which is why I believe ALL overtly religious symbols should be disallowed in schools.
I would be over the moon if people stopped wearing such stuff in schools, but only if they made a conscious decision to. Telling them not to is just as bad as telling them they have to, if you see what I mean. In the french system, they are still being treated as mindless dummies. Also, as I have stressed before, we need to think about the implications of such restrictions. The muslim girl will NOT be able to go to school because of wearing something that plays no part in her education. Which is better, muslims in school wearing headscarves or no muslims in school (sitting at home, reading the Qur'an, getting beaten up and getting domestically trained)? Surely the former is better given that there are only these two possibilities? Excluding muslim girls from school doesn't promote the intermixes of races at all; rather, it promotes racial segregation.

englishstudent
A male Sikh wearing a turban is most likely doing so out of pride.
Pride for being brainwashed with a certain religion? This so-called "pride" is no different to the "pride" most muslim girls say they feel in wearing their headscarf. I know a number of sikh boys who HAD to wear a turban - no doubt they were not happy about it, especially on summer days.
Reply 142
Gosh your argument is very compelling Rushda. I hadn't thought about alot of that.
Reply 143
fishpaste
Gosh your argument is very compelling Rushda. I hadn't thought about alot of that.

Thanks! I was worried I didn't make sense :smile:
Reply 144
NDGAARONDI
Just say if it was permitted that a Muslim girl is allowed to wear the full blown religious dress would you complain if someone went in as a follower of the Ku Klux Klan including the headgear etc.? I'm just using a poser here...

Indeed, I fully understand those that advocate more freedom, but equality in the eyes of the state must be sought. That means we all adhere to state school policies or we all wear what we want. One may think its ironic for muslims to talk of freedom, yet it is merely a militant opposition to a culture or value system that is free to oppose their own. Freedom from the state, but oppose freedom to anyone else willing to exercise theirs in a manner that does not adhere to the same value system. This derives from the belief that only one value system is correct, the one advocated by god and those able to enact his will. This can be summed up with Mad Caddie's and the Muslim Association of Britains understanding of free speech - "Free speech ends when others are offended".
Reply 145
vienna95
This can be summed up with Mad Caddie's and the Muslim Association of Britains understanding of free speech - "Free speech ends when others are offended".

I hope not! I'd have to take a vow of silence if this were so.
Reply 146
Howard
I hope not! I'd have to take a vow of silence if this were so.

Or start living in jail(http://dutchreport.blogspot.com/2005/02/wilders-in-prison.html) to protect you from a fatwa.
Reply 147
Douglas
Wow, do you think the cleavage ridden billboards in Britain will be coming down soon?

I doubt it, if anything, more will be going up, not that I'm concerned.
Reply 148
vienna95
Or start living in jail(http://dutchreport.blogspot.com/2005/02/wilders-in-prison.html) to protect you from a fatwa.

Not while I have my loyal and reliable AK47 to protect me. :biggrin:
Reply 149
vienna95
This can be summed up with Mad Caddie's and the Muslim Association of Britains understanding of free speech - "Free speech ends when others are offended".

Pathetic attempt to tarnish my character again vienna. I think you'll find that almost all people, with any concept of humanity and consideration for others, live by this rule, not just the MAB or myself. My right to insult the traffic warden who gave me a parking ticket last week, extends only as far as his job, not him, or his family. I wouldn't expect someone like you to understand.
Reply 150
Mad Caddie
Pathetic attempt to tarnish my character again vienna. I think you'll find that almost all people, with any concept of humanity and consideration for others, live by this rule, not just the MAB or myself. My right to insult the traffic warden who gave me a parking ticket last week, extends only as far as his job, not him, or his family. I wouldn't expect someone like you to understand.

Nobody can live by that rule. That's just daft. Any dialogue or expression that's remotely challenging is bound to offend someone.
Reply 151
Howard
Nobody can live by that rule. That's just daft. Any dialogue or expression that's remotely challenging is bound to offend someone.

I think you'll find most people do live by that rule. I'd be interested to see the result of you walking through a predominantly black neighbourhood in America telling black people what you think of them. In fact, why don't you do it, and report back to us, seeing as you are so willing to express your views which insult others.
Reply 152
Mad Caddie
I think you'll find most people do live by that rule. I'd be interested to see the result of you walking through a predominantly black neighbourhood in America telling black people what you think of them. In fact, why don't you do it, and report back to us, seeing as you are so willing to express your views which insult others.

Stop blubbering MC.
Reply 153
Howard
Stop blubbering MC.

Would you be willing to do the proposed task? Or are you scared?
Reply 154
Mad Caddie

I agree, taking the example of the parking attendent it is acceptable to call him all the names under the sun (to an extent) but not to insult him using a racial slur, insult his religion ect that is pushing it to far.
Reply 155
randdom
I agree, taking the example of the parking attendent it is acceptable to call him all the names under the sun (to an extent) but not to insult him using a racial slur, insult his religion ect that is pushing it to far.

According to vienna we should freely be allowed to do this, humanity has no place in her democracy. :rolleyes:
Reply 156
Mad Caddie
According to vienna we should freely be allowed to do this, humanity has no place in her democracy. :rolleyes:

Should we ban Chris Rock's comedy? SHould we ban people from making racist jokes? Should we ban mein kampf?
Reply 157
Lawzzzzzz
Should we ban Chris Rock's comedy? SHould we ban people from making racist jokes? Should we ban mein kampf?

Yes.
Reply 158
Mad Caddie
Would you be willing to do the proposed task? Or are you scared?

So this policy of yours is for my protection is it? Didn't know you cared.

Yes, I would be scared to walk through the hood in E.St.Louis smiling and telling everevery how wondeful they are let alone the truth that they live like pigs, are a bunch of junkies and workshy ho's etc.

But, what's your point? That I can't have this opinion or that if I do I must put my life at risk to proclaim it in dangerous places?
Reply 159
Mad Caddie
Yes.

You think we should ban Chris Rock from telling the jokes he does:?

Wow ... ok .. well why stop there?
why not ban Englishman Scottsman and Irishman jokes

WHy not ban jokes about fat people

Why not haul people off to jail for airing a documentary about the KKK, or black Panthers

let sanatize everything till no one is ever offended, and we all live in a world were every resentment or prejudice is lokced up and unaired - left to fester into real conflict - GREAT idea.

Latest

Trending

Trending