?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Can somebody direct me to a site or explain what these temrs mean:

Polytechnic
Redbrick
Traditional
Open university
etc.

I understand that they are classes of universites but I dont understand what they actually mean. Regards.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)

Polytechnic
Redbrick
Traditional
Open university
etc.

I understand that they are classes of universites but I dont understand what they actually mean. Regards.
I think you'll find that a lot of people use these terms without really understanding what they mean either (trust me I went on a course about HE and even the lecturers didn't understand who the Russell Group were and kept confusing redbrick with traditional etc etc).

Polytechnics were made into universities in 1992 - any university given university status in that yr is more likely than not an ex-poly

Redbricks are older city based uni's and include most of the Russell Group along with a few others (eg Liverpool, Manchester, Reading etc)

Traditional are all older uni's city or campus based (includes Durham and to some extent Warwick and Sussex (although these were both only made uni's in the 60s they're very traditional))

Open uni only offers part tme courses (http://www.ou.ac.uk ) they're unique and linked to moonlighting lecturers at all uni's throughout the country - you do a lot of distance learning with support from a local support centre (usually at a local uni or FE college) and build up modules until you earn a degree. Because the courses are part time there is no government funding and so you have to pay your own way.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Russell Group? What the hell? Who are they?
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
I think you'll find that a lot of people use these terms without really understanding what they mean either (trust me I went on a course about HE and even the lecturers didn't understand who the Russell Group were and kept confusing redbrick with traditional etc etc).

Polytechnics were made into universities in 1992 - any university given university status in that yr is more likely than not an ex-poly

Redbricks are older city based uni's and include most of the Russell Group along with a few others (eg Liverpool, Manchester, Reading etc)

Traditional are all older uni's city or campus based (includes Durham and to some extent Warwick and Sussex (although these were both only made uni's in the 60s they're very traditional))

Open uni only offers part tme courses (http://www.ou.ac.uk ) they're unique and linked to moonlighting lecturers at all uni's throughout the country - you do a lot of distance learning with support from a local support centre (usually at a local uni or FE college) and build up modules until you earn a degree. Because the courses are part time there is no government funding and so you have to pay your own way.
That was informative as usual. But who are the Russell Group?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
That was informative as usual. But who are the Russell Group?
The russell group like to think of themselves as the UK version of the american Ivy League - ie the big hitters. In actuality it's just a group of 19 vice chancellors who met up regularly at the Russell Hotel london and the name and contacts between the group continued.

They are *deep breath*
Birmingham
Bristol
Cambridge
Cardiff
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Imperial College London
King's College London
Leeds
Liverpool
LSE
Manchester
Newcastle
Nottingham
Oxford
Sheffield
Southampton
University College London
and Warwick

Although they're all well respected there are a few universities which are well regarded that aren't included (Durham, York, Bath) so it isn't the be all and end all list that it's members like to think it is. However it's pretty much taken as fact that all these uni's are very research focussed - and so any undergraduates would likely be learning from people at the forefront of their field (so the subject matter is excellent although the teaching skills can sometimes suffer)
SaeedRehman
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
The russell group like to think of themselves as the UK version of the american Ivy League - ie the big hitters. In actuality it's just a group of 19 vice chancellors who met up regularly at the Russell Hotel london and the name and contacts between the group continued.

They are *deep breath*
Birmingham
Bristol
Cambridge
Cardiff
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Imperial College London
King's College London
Leeds
Liverpool
LSE
Manchester
Newcastle
Nottingham
Oxford
Sheffield
Southampton
and Warwick

Although they're all well respected there are a few universities which are well regarded that aren't included (Durham, York, Bath) so it isn't the be all and end all list that it's members like to think it is. However it's pretty much taken as fact that all these uni's are very research focussed - and so any undergraduates would likely be learning from people at the forefront of their field (so the subject matter is excellent although the teaching skills can sometimes suffer)
funny enough all 6 of my choices are from the Russel Group.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?

They are *deep breath*
Birmingham
Bristol
Cambridge
Cardiff
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Imperial College London
King's College London
Leeds
Liverpool
LSE
Manchester
Newcastle
Nottingham
Oxford
Sheffield
Southampton
and Warwick

Hmmm.......Interesting, in your honest opinion pencil queen, is Leicester Uni any good or is it a pile of dung?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by SaeedRehman)
funny enough all 6 of my choices are from the Russel Group.
I thought Liverpool John Morres was one of the top uni's in the country and ended up with 4 of them on my UCAS form...apart from LSE and Imperial they're all pretty much all rounders so no matter what course you're interested in there's likely to be a RG uni offering it (apart from the courses they look down on).
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Hmmm.......Interesting, in your honest opinion pencil queen, is Leicester Uni any good or is it a pile of dung?
It's very good - easily on a par with the second teir of the RG (ie not on Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial level but holds it's own compared to Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield etc etc). It's sort of in the same group as Sussex and Reading - not in the RG but still research focussed and very very well respected. It only suffers from the reputation of the city (like Bradford - good uni but people have their own assumptions about what the city/town is like and rule it out based on those assumptions not fact) which means it's doesn't recruit such high A levels as you would expect (less demand/place)...that doesn't make it bad just something to be aware of.

I have to admit I've never been to Leicester as a place (apart from being on a train that derailed just outside the station) but from what I've heard it really doesn't deserve the preconceptions that it gets labelled with (same as my home Liverpool really ).

Still not sure whether to accept the unconditional offer and drop the retakes?

Have you visited Leicester (and your other choices)? If not contact the uni accommadation office - you can usually get b&b in halls for £15-20 a night stay over and get a real feel for the place...it's well worth the money if it means you make the right choice for you.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
It's very good - easily on a par with the second teir of the RG (ie not on Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial level but holds it's own compared to Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield etc etc). It's sort of in the same group as Sussex and Reading - not in the RG but still research focussed and very very well respected. It only suffers from the reputation of the city (like Bradford - good uni but people have their own assumptions about what the city/town is like and rule it out based on those assumptions not fact) which means it's doesn't recruit such high A levels as you would expect (less demand/place)...that doesn't make it bad just something to be aware of.

I have to admit I've never been to Leicester as a place (apart from being on a train that derailed just outside the station) but from what I've heard it really doesn't deserve the preconceptions that it gets labelled with (same as my home Liverpool really ).

Have you visited Leicester (and your other choices)? If not contact the uni accommadation office - you can usually get b&b in halls for £15-20 a night stay over and get a real feel for the place...it's well worth the money if it means you make the right choice for you.
I think I am gonna hold it as an insurance offer, and perhaps go to Sheffield, or Nottingham (not heard from them yet). I am definitely gonna do the retakes, because I need to prove to myself that I am capeable of achieveing the top grades, its more of a personal thing rather than an academic one. I am probably gona attend the open day, its on the 10th of December, one of my work collegues really recommended going there, but JOOLS said that perhaps the place is a bit rough (I could handle it), and this may cause some distractions in my education.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think I am gonna hold it as an insurance offer, and perhaps go to Sheffield, or Nottingham (not heard from them yet). I am definitely gonna do the retakes, because I need to prove to myself that I am capeable of achieveing the top grades, its more of a personal thing rather than an academic one. I am probably gona attend the open day, its on the 10th of December, one of my work collegues really recommended going there, but JOOLS said that perhaps the place is a bit rough (I could handle it), and this may cause some distractions in my education.
Sounds like a good plan. I can totally recommend staying over at a potential uni - even if it's just to avoid too much travelling (or travelling during peak times) to go to the open day...it really does give you a feel for how far the walk is in the morning, what the atmosphere in halls is like etc etc.
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

Lesta is ok...that's it. No way can it compare with places like Notts/Bristol/Warwick/York...the A level standards there are far higher, incomparable. The calibre of students, what they achieve etc is a lot higher too, no doubt, I know enough about each of the univ's to say that with confidence. However, should you do well at Lesta, yes, your degree will be well regarded. It's most the atmosphere is nowhere near as academic as the others I've mentioned.
Ditzy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I don't think Leicester's any more rough than any other city, personally I've never had any problems. It gets put in with places like Bradford mainly because it has a very large Asian population (largest in the country or something). I've heard more horror stories about Nottingham, I've got a friend at Nottingham Trent and he's had all sorts of trouble, but again, you get that in any city (Leeds LS6, main student area, is supposed to have the highest crime rate in europe). Universities try to make students safe though.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
How does the omniscient Jools know about Leicester?! I thin kyou people have far too high an opinion of him! Leicester is a vibrant and multicultural city with none of the tensions of Bradford, the sport is very good and there is good nightlife, plus it is not too expensive to live. Every city has "rough" parts - Jools, please don't pretend to know everything and force your opinions onto others?!
Max Plank
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
These are all good unis but Imperial is clearly the best Engineering uni.

John
UnregisteredP
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Max Plank)
These are all good unis but Imperial is clearly the best Engineering uni.

John
You don't go the Imperial do you?
I believe Bath is best for Mechanical Enginering and so does Sunday Times so I'm in venerable company!
Max Plank
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by UnregisteredP)
You don't go the Imperial do you?
I believe Bath is best for Mechanical Enginering and so does Sunday Times so I'm in venerable company!
When I say Engineering I mean the electrical side of it (Comp Sci, IEE etc...)

Yup, I'm a CS from Imperial.

John
UnregisteredP
Badges:
Report 17 years ago

John
Oh, right. I guess that would have something to do with your opinion on it being the best then?
curryADD
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

Polytechnic
Redbrick
Traditional
Open university
etc.

hey bhaal no since im NOT all knowing, i have no idea what your talking about.... however, if you EVER need information on fast pools, i would be happy to inform you
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

John
Not according to the Times - Imp comes 7th for CS and 3rd for EEEng (behind Southampton in both :smug: )
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (528)
51.11%
No (505)
48.89%

Watched Threads