The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Snookercraze
60% tax on £100,000 is ridiculously unfair, and I ain't a Tory. :smile:

60% above 100k, surely?
The rich already pay more in absolute terms and get no more back for it. The poor depend on the rich to provide the government with the money to pay for their schooling, healthcare, etc.
nexttime
60% above 100k, surely?

I know. £100,000 is way to less to be paying 60% in taxation. Way to less.
Reply 83
Elementric
You mean make enough money so that even more of the working class can live entirely off benefits at the grotesque detriment of British society?

:shifty:

hmm, this comment is possibly sarcastic, but unsure. terms like 'the working class' and 'grotesque' used to describe the activities of benefits receivers such as, say, families and the disabled make me think so, along with the ridiculous implication that poor=lazy :rolleyes: . says something about the level of intelligence in the post if not though.
Reply 84
Snookercraze
I know. £100,000 is way to less to be paying 60% in taxation. Way to less.

do you understand how income tax works? that was not what i meant - they would only tax 60% on earnings above 100k - all before that would be whatever rate applies to that level of earning.

for example, as it stands with the top rate at 40% if you earn 100k you will be taxed about 33k? can't remember exactly.

if you did understand, my bad.
nexttime
do you understand how income tax works? that was not what i meant - they would only tax 60% on earnings above 100k - all before that would be whatever rate applies to that level of earning.

for example, as it stands with the top rate at 40% if you earn 100k you will be taxed about 33k? can't remember exactly.

if you did understand, my bad.

Oh OK. Its just OP did not make it clear.

Makes a lot more sense now.
Reply 86
As far as I'm concerned, if somebody has worked to earn that money, THEY deserve it and not the government. I'm a big advocate of flat rate taxes because proportionally it's the same amount of money to everybody. Just so happens that in real terms those who earn more will be better off as they'll be left with more money...which I view as extremely fair.
Reply 87
weflycars
It's because this place is filled with over-privileged rich kids who think poor people are all lazy..

We should tax the most wealthy 1% at 70%, the most wealthy 30 % at 45%, that should make up enough so the less well off can live tax free and spend their money on necessities, as well as encourage employment and get rid of the poverty trap :yep:

what a stupid idea. If I remember correctly only 5% of the population (correct me if I'm wrong) earn over 80k, so around 1% would be earning ~130k + or so. 70% is ridiculously high - you don't seem to understand that the rich will just move and leave Britain with poor people who are demanding benefits to fund their sky/alcohol/cigarette addictions..
Reply 88
weflycars
It's because this place is filled with over-privileged rich kids who think poor people are all lazy..

We should tax the most wealthy 1% at 70%, the most wealthy 30 % at 45%, that should make up enough so the less well off can live tax free and spend their money on necessities, as well as encourage employment and get rid of the poverty trap :yep:

I've never understood how anarchists can believe in tax.
Reply 89
Orichalon
what a stupid idea. If I remember correctly only 5% of the population (correct me if I'm wrong) earn over 80k, so around 1% would be earning ~130k + or so. 70% is ridiculously high - you don't seem to understand that the rich will just move and leave Britain with poor people who are demanding benefits to fund their sky/alcohol/cigarette addictions..

Put down the Daily Mail and look at what you're saying.. that is elitism and frankly ignorance..

As well as this I think you'll find that the most wealthy 1% own 23% of the country's wealth as a whole.. the least wealthy 50% share just 4% of the country's wealth between them.. so in short - you're wrong..

Elementric
You really think that the money earned from taxing the rich more will be spent towards reducing taxes for the poor? I'm sorry, but that's just hilarious.

It's about what 'should' happen, not what would happen.. if we want to maintain the current level of income it should be taken from the rich in my opinion..
Reply 90
weflycars
Put down the Daily Mail and look at what you're saying.. that is elitism and frankly ignorance..

As well as this I think you'll find that the most wealthy 1% own 23% of the country's wealth as a whole.. the least wealthy 50% share just 4% of the country's wealth between them.. so in short - you're wrong..

It's about what 'should' happen, not what would happen.. if we want to maintain the current level of income it should be taken from the rich in my opinion..

It's elitism yes, but it's not ignorance. Both my father and several of his colleagues have discussed moving if Labour win the next general election and get their stupid tax rise, and I'm sure that far more would if we had a stupid 70% tax system. It's just that the poor think that hte rich will always be there to pay for them - htat's ignorance.
Reply 91
Orichalon
It's elitism yes, but it's not ignorance. Both my father and several of his colleagues have discussed moving if Labour win the next general election and get their stupid tax rise, and I'm sure that far more would if we had a stupid 70% tax system. It's just that the poor think that hte rich will always be there to pay for them - htat's ignorance.

No, you thinking poor people all hate rich people contradicts what you said about ignorance:rolleyes: .. sounds as though your dad and his mates were stereotyping poor people..

And you did sound ignorant when you assumed everyone on the dole was an alci/druggie/etc. etc..

Say the government need a tenner, I feel they should take it from the man with 100 quid rather than the man on 20 a week..
Reply 92
weflycars
No, you thinking poor people all hate rich people contradicts what you said about ignorance:rolleyes: .. sounds as though your dad and his mates were stereotyping poor people..

And you did sound ignorant when you assumed everyone on the dole was an alci/druggie/etc. etc..

Say the government need a tenner, I feel they should take it from the man with 100 quid rather than the man on 20 a week..

Both should have 10% taken off them - that way you'd have £12 and both would have contributed to society. The man with £100 has earnt it, as has the man with £20 and they should both pay and equal and fair amount.
Reply 93
weflycars

Or they should take 8% from both people, because 8% of their time is equally valuable to each of them.
Reply 94
Orichalon
Both should have 10% taken off them - that way you'd have £12 and both would have contributed to society. The man with £100 has earnt it, as has the man with £20 and they should both pay and equal and fair amount.

But the rich have more than enough to pay for their needs.. the poor on the other hand don't.. I'm not saying that all people should pay for the needs and have the rest taken away, but if you have to take from someone, rather than the man who has barely enough to feed his family, you should take from the man who could feed his whole street..
Reply 95
caroline147
No.
You earn the money, you should be able to use it as you wish.

So its correct that footballers who earn 150 000 a WEEK shouldn't contribute more?! I don't think so.
Hana_87
So its correct that footballers who earn 150 000 a WEEK shouldn't contribute more?! I don't think so.

Yes.
Taxation is coercion of money by force; an infringement of liberty.
Hana_87

Why should they? It's supply and demand, if someone is willing to pay them stupid amounts of money what negative effect does that have on other people? None. If they want to give money to charity that's great, but they shouldn't HAVE to.

But taking peoples money DOES have a negative impact on people.
Reply 98
caroline147
Yes.
Taxation is coercion of money by force; an infringement of liberty.

Yes in exchange for the police force, street lights, NHS, schooling etc. etc.

Ignorance.. :rolleyes:
Reply 99
tis_me_lord
Why should they? It's supply and demand, if someone is willing to pay them stupid amounts of money what negative effect does that have on other people? None. If they want to give money to charity that's great, but they shouldn't HAVE to.

Fair enough BUT on the other side of the coin it IS rediculous that they earn more than top lawyers/brain surgeons/people who save other people's lives every day.....:mad:

Latest

Trending

Trending