Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Descartes)
    Typically selling an item which makes £9.99 would cost the following: Listing with galley pic 49p, final fees 52p, Paypal fees 34p + 20p, transfer to your account 25p = Grand total £1.80! What a rip off - needless to say I don't accept Paypal.
    jesu christi!! That is a bloody rip off!! Soo expensive, well now i know why ebay makes such large amounts of money!!

ReputationRep:
    lol u get charged a percentage: so the more u sell ur item for the more paypal takes off. i thnk it's like 5.6% or something! iv recently started selling too! :P

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsofind...sooZ1QQfrppZ50

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posh_git)
    lol u get charged a percentage: so the more u sell ur item for the more paypal takes off. i thnk it's like 5.6% or something! iv recently started selling too! :P

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsofind...sooZ1QQfrppZ50

so there's not much point selling an item for lower than £5
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You don't have to pay Paypal fees if you only have a basic account, but then you can't accept payments from people who use a credit or debit card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by temilola)
    Its so exciting!! Its surprising how easy it is and how quick setting up a sellers account is.

Have a look at the items i'm selling!!

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsofocu...fclZ3QQfrppZ50

Unfortunately, i'm at school at the moment so i dont have as many thinks available to sell, but i'll hopefully be able to get more stuff, when i go home this weekend.

My personal favourite is the green dress. I'll be sad to see it go (even though i never got around to wearing it...oh well, it was pretty to look at)!!

Anyway i'm just wondering if there are ne experienced ebayers, who can give a new commer a few hints on what to sell, what price and so on so forth?!
    i sell on ebay sometimes...
    DO THIS AS QUICK AS YOU CAN!!!
    go to My eBay...
    under My Account click on eBay Preferences...
    under Seller Preferences there's a field that says Buyer Reqirements...
    click on Change and tick all the boxes and Save...

this should stop some scammers wasting money...
    Murdok has brains!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babyshambles)
    no...

does anyone know if there is a way so that you don't have to pay Paypal fees as well as Ebay fees?
    dont use paypal if u arent a business seller, they take a heavy cut on sells.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esx77)
    that cannot be true...look at the amount of dvd's etc that get sold for 2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 quid.
    yeh, also look at how many of them are power sellers., nearly all of them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juno_the)
    You don't have to pay Paypal fees if you only have a basic account, but then you can't accept payments from people who use a credit or debit card.
    you can upgrade to a premier account for free, but then you get charged more for a credit payment. Normals debit - visa electron is fine i think. But still, paypal is a total ripoff thats why i didnt use it.

edit - I dont do this; but a good tip is to start at £0.01 and bring up the postage to say £10, but if you do it all the time it is a form of tax evasion.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by DaveManUK)
    you can upgrade to a premier account for free, but then you get charged more for a credit payment. Normals debit - visa electron is fine i think. But still, paypal is a total ripoff thats why i didnt use it.

edit - a good tip is to start at £0.01 and bring up the postage to say £10, but if you do it all the time it is a form of tax evasion.
    No, if you have a premier account you get charged for all money you receive, whever it comes from.

And most buyers won't buy items that have excessive postage

ReputationRep:
    No, if you have a premier account you get charged for all money you receive, whever it comes from.

And most buyers won't buy items that have excessive postage

i'm soo confused about paypal, can u explainn to me the charges??

ReputationRep:
    edit - a good tip is to start at £0.01 and bring up the postage to say £10, but if you do it all the time it is a form of tax evasion.
    SCAMMER! I fooking hate Ebayers that do this :mad:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You only have to pay Paypal charges if the buyer pays by Paypal (simple, but some people forget).

When you open an account, you start off with a personal account. With this, it is free to receive money, but you can only accept payments from people who have money in their paypal account. I suggest you stick with this until you need to change.

If someone pays you by Paypal but funded by their debit/credit card, you will need to upgrade to a preier account. It's free to upgrade, but then every payment you receive will cost you up to 3.4% and 20p.

ReputationRep:
    You only have to pay Paypal charges if the buyer pays by Paypal (simple, but some people forget).

When you open an account, you start off with a personal account. With this, it is free to receive money, but you can only accept payments from people who have money in their paypal account. I suggest you stick with this until you need to change.

If someone pays you by Paypal but funded by their debit/credit card, you will need to upgrade to a preier account. It's free to upgrade, but then every payment you receive will cost you up to 3.4% and 20p.

So yeah, if you're selling a big expensive item, don't offer paypal payments free of charge!
    I, however, always offer free paypal transactions, but that's only because my sales are generally under £50..
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by afireinside©)

So yeah, if you're selling a big expensive item, don't offer paypal payments free of charge!
    I, however, always offer free paypal transactions, but that's only because my sales are generally under £50..
    Do you mean add a 4% paypal surcharge? Coz if so, that's against Ebay's T&C's and your account could be suspended

ReputationRep:
    SCAMMER! I fooking hate Ebayers that do this :mad:
    WAIT MOST EBAYERS DO THIS ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY ARENT FOOKING SCAMMERS!

ReputationRep:

EBAY rules state you HAVE to offer FREE paypal if you are offering PAYPAL at all.

ReputationRep:
    why dont you go onto the ebay site and read the FAQs? Also, there is a good communtiy help board there as well.

ReputationRep:
    EBAY rules state you HAVE to offer FREE paypal if you are offering PAYPAL at all.
    Wow, that hasn't always been the case. Must be a new rule.

ReputationRep:
    WAIT MOST EBAYERS DO THIS ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY ARENT FOOKING SCAMMERS!
    No. The best Ebayers are the ones that offer realistic postage charges. There's nothing worse than thinking you've found a bargain, only to find the postages is highly unrealistic, for example, £10.00 postage on a portable CD player. Don't think so!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that hasn't always been the case. Must be a new rule.
    fairly new i think. read the rules on the site...

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.