Which AS-options have your chosen? Watch

This discussion is closed.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
Oh God, 3 of my subjects are essay-based already lol. At my school, there are 15 lessons a week and for A-levels you usually have 3 lessons a week per subject, although for some reason certain subjects, including French, philosophy and biology, only have 2 :confused: So I have 11 lessons a week. That means the maximum number of A-levels that would fit into the timetable would be 5, and you'd have no frees at all.
In my school anyway, people only did a maximum of 4 subjects. They have at least 1 free though. Sometimes they have a full day.

Although your subjects are essay base, maybe in A2 you might need to write in more detail, more thinking to do, etc...

I take 3 A-levels, I get 1 or 2 lessons a day. The 3rd A-level is independent study. Our classes lasts for 1 hour and there are 5 periods. That is why I said there is 5 option columns to choose couses, so they can fit them according to those times and stuff.
LittleMissShine
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
In my school anyway, people only did a maximum of 4 subjects. They have at least 1 free though. Sometimes they have a full day.

Although your subjects are essay base, maybe in A2 you might need to write in more detail, more thinking to do, etc...

I take 3 A-levels, I get 1 or 2 lessons a day. The 3rd A-level is independent study. Our classes lasts for 1 hour and there are 5 periods. That is why I said there is 5 option columns to choose couses, so they can fit them according to those times and stuff.
In my college we can do a maximum of 5 A-Levels(excluding general studies),depending on your GCSE grades.

We don't do A-levels that are independant study. Our lessons are 65 minutes long and there are 6 periods.I'm currently taking 4 As-levels( see sig ) and I can have 2-5 periods, depending what day it is and I have 6 frees in a week.
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
At my college the smartest people are the ones who don't drop one of their 4 AS's!
EconLou
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lottie)
You're taking six (seven, if you go with chemistry as well) subjects? Wow! :eek:
I'm only doing six because at my school for the top set they teach maths+furthur maths over the two years int eh same time they teach the other sets just maths so it only takes up one of my five options. Design is also not really that hard, but I know it will be time consuming.
I wont be allowed to do chemistry and biology so I have to make my mind up with one I want to do... :confused: :confused:
EconLou
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
That could quite possibly kill you :p: Doing 4 is bad enough, let alone 6/7!
Yer, I know! but atleast it gives me the option to drop one without any concern if it turns out a hate french or something like that.
Although, I'm only going to have one 40minute free period a week! :eek: :eek: :eek: I'd have 3 if it wasn't for stupid key skills :mad:
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Louise_1988)
Yer, I know! but atleast it gives me the option to drop one without any concern if it turns out a hate french or something like that.
Although, I'm only going to have one 40minute free period a week! :eek: :eek: :eek: I'd have 3 if it wasn't for stupid key skills :mad:
:eek: You can't hate French, French is the best! Lol so I'm biased I don't have to do General Studies or Key Skills, which is great.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by LittleMissShine)
In my college we can do a maximum of 5 A-Levels(excluding general studies),depending on your GCSE grades.

We don't do A-levels that are independant study. Our lessons are 65 minutes long and there are 6 periods.I'm currently taking 4 As-levels( see sig ) and I can have 2-5 periods, depending what day it is and I have 6 frees in a week.
If your college don't have that course, it's possible to do an independent study. Obviously, you need to be responsible and motivated to do that.

Your lessons are quite long and your finishing time for school is quite late.
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by LittleMissShine)

Our lessons are 1 hour 45 minutes long and we have 3 periods a day. I do 4 ASs as well, so I should have 12 lessons a week (3 for each) and 3 frees, but because we only get 2 French lessons a week for some reason, I have 11 lessons and 4 frees. I only have a full day once a week
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Our lessons are 1 hour 45 minutes long and we have 3 periods a day. I do 4 ASs as well, so I should have 12 lessons a week (3 for each) and 3 frees, but because we only get 2 French lessons a week for some reason, I have 11 lessons and 4 frees. I only have a full day once a week
Woah, you have long lessons. My lessons are only 1 hour. I guess having longer lessons, you get to learn more stuff faster.
EconLou
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Woooooah 1hr 45 minutes :eek: :eek: ours are only 40 mins and some are only 35. We have 39 a week (i think!) only problem is that having so many lesson changes involves a lot of walking!

re french: I really like it although we have some very dodgy french teachers who really could make me hate the subject next year!!
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
Woah, you have long lessons. My lessons are only 1 hour. I guess having longer lessons, you get to learn more stuff faster.
It's been that way since Year 9, so I guess I'm just used to it. When I was in Years 7-8, we used to have hour-long lessons and no-one thought it was long enough because when you take off time at the beginning to settle down and at the end to pack up, we only had about 40 minutes of lesson time. Looking back now, I wonder how we ever got anything done! The new lessons did seem really long at first, especially in boring lessons, but I think they are better.
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Louise_1988)
Woooooah 1hr 45 minutes :eek: :eek: ours are only 40 mins and some are only 35. We have 39 a week (i think!) only problem is that having so many lesson changes involves a lot of walking!
:eek: How can you ever get anything done in that time? By the time you got settled down and were ready to work, you'd have about 20 minutes left!
EconLou
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
:eek: How can you ever get anything done in that time? By the time you got settled down and were ready to work, you'd have about 20 minutes left!
We do have 5 minutes between each lesson, so you are normally set up and ready by the time the 40 minutes start. I suppose we jsut get used to it. And next year for each subject we have 8 lessons, 2 double lessons (80 mins) and 4 singles so in the doubles you can get more done.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.51%
No (614)
72.49%

Watched Threads