This discussion is closed.
fionah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I wasn't sure how to condense what I want to ask into the subject I'm afraid.. It's not really about getting a place through clearing but rather, if there were spaces through clearing in 2003 for courses (as there were for English at Queen Mary, and also at Goldsmiths) does that have any bearing on how easy it will be to get a place this year?

Surely if the aim is to fill up all the places, unis would rather do that prior to clearing.. so does that mean that Queen mary weren't oversubscribed by people who fitted their entrance requirements for english?

I was just wondering.. Queen Mary is my first choice uni (course wise, I'm not entirely ecstatic at the prospect of being based in Mile End, but the course is fantastic) so I got my hopes up when I saw in august that there were places through clearing - but was I right to?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I dont know for sure, but thats what i think too, but u have to remember that maybe the uni was over subscribed, but people rejected the offers because it was their second place for example. But in general ur right, because ul rarley ever see pschycology for eg in clearing because its such a 'fashionable' course!
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by fionah)
I wasn't sure how to condense what I want to ask into the subject I'm afraid.. It's not really about getting a place through clearing but rather, if there were spaces through clearing in 2003 for courses (as there were for English at Queen Mary, and also at Goldsmiths) does that have any bearing on how easy it will be to get a place this year?

Surely if the aim is to fill up all the places, unis would rather do that prior to clearing.. so does that mean that Queen mary weren't oversubscribed by people who fitted their entrance requirements for english?

I was just wondering.. Queen Mary is my first choice uni (course wise, I'm not entirely ecstatic at the prospect of being based in Mile End, but the course is fantastic) so I got my hopes up when I saw in august that there were places through clearing - but was I right to?

Overall, you are right to have your hopes up. If the places are there, then of course it's because they cannot fill them up. Although that theory works well generally, it's not entirelllllly correct. Sometimes, universities will reject a large proportion of people who've failed to met their offers in the knoweldge that they're likely to be able to find more able people via clearing.

Naturally, a university can ONLY reject you if you have failed to meet the offer, not otherwise. So, yes, these university were not oversubsribed by people that met the offers.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (64)
12.26%
Virtual campus tours/open days (124)
23.75%
Live streaming events (46)
8.81%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.96%
A uni comparison tool (121)
23.18%
An in-person event when available (115)
22.03%