TSR Christian Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
22KT22
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
my bf has had a lot of 4.30 exams which means he spends all day stressing about them.

What uni are you at?
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by 22KT22)
my bf has had a lot of 4.30 exams which means he spends all day stressing about them.

What uni are you at?
Glasgow

I will spend all tomorrow revising
Calumcalum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rainbowbex)
God was very kind to me with that exam, the one drug I know (anti-peptic) was omemprazole and I was asked mechinism of action. Scoooree

I'm confident I've passed, but think I could have done better. I was sure cholera was rice water stool, but didn't think it was an HAI in the uk, thought it had fecal oral transmission so put C.diff.

ARG. so many annoying things, not to mention being quized on stuff that we were told specifically not to learn *irritated/angry face*

/rant

Now to anatomy! I hate musculoskeletal! Nerve inevation sucks.
Sweeeeeeeet :awesome: yeah we had all the musculoskeletal stuff last year. There wasn't really anything to write an essay on though (which is where you do extension stuff) and you only need 70% to pass on core multiple choice so I didn't bother learning it SIX ESSAYS I've written in 2 days, so intense
rainbowbex
Badges: 14
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
I'm stressing about exam tomorrow, totally not prepared for it
Good luck! My friend actually reccomended praying before an exam, I tried it thurs morning and tbh it really helped, just calmed me down and then I got on my way
Saturday exams are just mean!! :hugs:
I agree Poor greeneyedgirl!

My exams are overrrr but totally have caffeine withdrawal
rainbowbex
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Calumcalum)
Sweeeeeeeet :awesome: yeah we had all the musculoskeletal stuff last year. There wasn't really anything to write an essay on though (which is where you do extension stuff) and you only need 70% to pass on core multiple choice so I didn't bother learning it SIX ESSAYS I've written in 2 days, so intense
lucky you, also had GI, Resp and CVS anatomy. I knew a good 80% of the material, and was quite lucky with the MS questions. (I didn't know my leg anatomy )

I'm going to the cinema
Calumcalum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
lucky you, also had GI, Resp and CVS anatomy. I knew a good 80% of the material, and was quite lucky with the MS questions. (I didn't know my leg anatomy )

I'm going to the cinema
Bon voyage
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good luck! My friend actually reccomended praying before an exam, I tried it thurs morning and tbh it really helped, just calmed me down and then I got on my way

I agree Poor greeneyedgirl!

My exams are overrrr but totally have caffeine withdrawal
I always pray before exams, really find it focuses my mind

Exam was actually pretty good, had to write two essays, one was an absolute gift of an essay, the other was do-able
22KT22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yay for a nice exam

I'm hoping I manage to get my essay done before the deadline and settle back into my house as well.
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yay for a nice exam

I'm hoping I manage to get my essay done before the deadline and settle back into my house as well.
Good luck! You'll manage easily!
JO Medic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sicarius1992)
Most people would be shocked when you don't accept something that is true. Anyway, a lot of christians accept evolution just for the record.
Dont mean to start a debate but surely if we are christians we are meant to believe the entire words of the bible...??? Even if the outside world deam it false.

A kind warning - you should brush up on the English language you use in your posts, Text speak/abbreviations are generally frowned on by the mods (and lots of users get a bit pissy about them)

I believe that God created the world, but I also believe evolution happens. Change happens. God had certainly changed me.

Also, whilst I think God can speak to you through the bible, I don't always take it entirely literally.

in bits of the bible I've studied, Jesus says something, and whomever he's talking to takes it literally and miss the point entirely. I feel the Bible is still the word of God, but the work of man. God can do the impossible so is hardly going to be hindered by man. The bible is still best approached prayerfully though. In seeking to further a relationship with God and seek to know more about him.

Calum probs has some good points to make. I'll drag him in annnnnd he's a medic too.

Fancy elaborating?

oh and calum, I'm choosing biochemistry :p:

Thanks for the advice, I'm so used to writing in txt form and I know its quite bad... What you are saying is that the creation of the world, by God, in Genesis is metaphoric for how God really created the world (through evolution) right? but that would not make sense then would it, In Genesis 1 everyime God had finished a day's work he would say *paraphrasing now) "...and there was evening and then morning and this was the first day...second day...third day etc" Surely God could not have been speaking more literally than this, he claearly defined for us what we know has one ordinary day because he knew that many would try to rationalise and make logic out of the work he had done,, now we are made to believe the earth was created billions of years ago and homo sapiens came into existence only recently, not after 5 days and our.

(Original post by Calumcalum)
Hey to be honest, it doesn't make a massive difference in the course, as long as you're prepared to accept micro-evolution (e.g. evolution of bacteria and our immune system etc). If you're happy mentioning the scientific consensus of human evolution in the exams and stuff too, it would be fine (i.e. if you're asked a question on it, give the answer they want, not an "I don't actually believe in evolution&quot.

That being said, I think most of the medics (and theologians) here probably do believe in evolution, and wouldn't see any conflict between evolution and Christianity. There are plenty of instances in the Bible where metaphorical language is used e.g. Jesus' parables - if he can use them, why can't God the Father through the writers of Genesis?

I hope you find it enjoyable then! I'm gonna have to pick my intercalated thingy pretty soon, but all our options are horrifically boring or complex
I understand what you are trying to say but surely you must know that when Parables were being used in the bible they were actually called parables, in Genesis 1 it does not state that "This is the parable of Creation" or does it? Throughout the bible God makes it clear which scriptures are metaphors and literal, just because our minds cannot fathom how God created the world does not mean he didnt do it exactly as he said he did. This is the problem man has always had with God, we try to use our own logic and common knowlegde to justify what we do not completely grasp... but guys this is why we are not God and God is not man, he does not have a brain to think in human form and logic, we do not have his sovereignhy and power to do things the way he does things, but he gives us his word so we wont completely be in the dark about who he is. Remember scripture says the wisdom of the world is foolishness to God 1 Chorinthian 3:19. And yes, God is a Mystery and thats how it should be otherwise we as humans could undermine him... put him in a box so to speak... God bless you guys
insignificant
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey everyone going to join this thread! Hope your all okay .
King_Duncan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by insignificant)
Welcome :five:
sicarius1992
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JO Medic)
Dont mean to start a debate but surely if we are christians we are meant to believe the entire words of the bible...??? Even if the outside world deam it false.
That is where we come to an interesting point, there are 1000's of branches of christianity. Each have their own way of interpreting the the bible and you'll find individuals who again have their own interpretation. Some see the bible as fact, others as a metaphor or moral stories. So it is perfectly possible for someone to be a christian (or a part of most religions) and still accept evolution for what it is
marille
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In Genesis 1 everyime God had finished a day's work he would say *paraphrasing now) "...and there was evening and then morning and this was the first day...second day...third day etc" Surely God could not have been speaking more literally than this, he claearly defined for us what we know has one ordinary day because he knew that many would try to rationalise and make logic out of the work he had done,, now we are made to believe the earth was created billions of years ago and homo sapiens came into existence only recently, not after 5 days and our.
What do you think of the fact that there are two different creation stories in Genesis? In Genesis 1 the process culminates in the creation of humanity; in Genesis 2:4 onwards, however, man is made "when no plant of the field was yet in the earth and no herb of the field had yet sprung up" (2:5). He also goes on to name the creatures of the earth which are made after him in the hope of finding him a "partner" (2:18), which doesn't fit with the account in Genesis 1, where animals are created before humankind. Woman, then, is in Genesis 2 created separately to man (2:21-22 cf. 1:27).

So, basically:

Genesis 1: Heavens and earth -> plants -> animals -> man and woman together.
Genesis 2: Heavens and earth -> man -> plants -> animals -> woman.

I don't mean to enter into a debate if you don't want to. : ) I just think that's a fairly significant hint that the creation accounts in Genesis 1-3 can't both be literal. There are other things to consider, too, like the fact that the Israelites (along with many of the other people living nearby in the ancient Near East) expressed their beliefs through stories, and so it wouldn't have been unusual for them to compose a seemingly literal account in order to express truths they knew about God.

So that's how it's possible not to believe in creationism, anyway. : )
d123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I disagree here. Not to get too deeply into the theology of it, but I just think it's a mistake to view the bible as completely literal, because then you miss the true, deeper meaning of it. I also don't think it's the way it was intended to be viewed, and viewing it in such a way is what leads to problems.
rainbowbex
Report 7 years ago
Thanks for the advice, I'm so used to writing in txt form and I know its quite bad... What you are saying is that the creation of the world, by God, in Genesis is metaphoric for how God really created the world (through evolution) right? but that would not make sense then would it, In Genesis 1 everyime God had finished a day's work he would say *paraphrasing now) "...and there was evening and then morning and this was the first day...second day...third day etc" Surely God could not have been speaking more literally than this, he claearly defined for us what we know has one ordinary day because he knew that many would try to rationalise and make logic out of the work he had done,, now we are made to believe the earth was created billions of years ago and homo sapiens came into existence only recently, not after 5 days and our.

I understand what you are trying to say but surely you must know that when Parables were being used in the bible they were actually called parables, in Genesis 1 it does not state that "This is the parable of Creation" or does it? Throughout the bible God makes it clear which scriptures are metaphors and literal, just because our minds cannot fathom how God created the world does not mean he didnt do it exactly as he said he did. This is the problem man has always had with God, we try to use our own logic and common knowlegde to justify what we do not completely grasp... but guys this is why we are not God and God is not man, he does not have a brain to think in human form and logic, we do not have his sovereignhy and power to do things the way he does things, but he gives us his word so we wont completely be in the dark about who he is. Remember scripture says the wisdom of the world is foolishness to God 1 Chorinthian 3:19. And yes, God is a Mystery and thats how it should be otherwise we as humans could undermine him... put him in a box so to speak... God bless you guys
The day thing is interesting, because a day here doesn't necessarily mean a 24hr period, and how many evenings and mornings they were - see still room to wiggle here. tbh I think that taken literally genesis would seem to conflict with evolution, but understanding that a day could be a long period of time fits pretty well (which actually makes the word of God pretty awesome)

It may not be made clear as a parable or literal but another thing I find helpful when addressing any passage of the bible are it's intentions, what do I think God intended we learn from this, what do I think it meant to the people of the day.

Ultimately I 100% believe that God created the world and everything in it, but I also believe that evolution happens. I'm not stupid enough to think that God can't use evolution to create new things

As for the human evolution there are still many missing gaps (like between apes and upright) so who's to say right now that God didn't push that specific evolution to bring humans into the world?

God Bless you too, x

Welcome I'm great thanks, lil sleepy! How are you? What's God doing in your life right now? xx
insignificant
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Welcome I'm great thanks, lil sleepy! How are you? What's God doing in your life right now? xx
Gracing me with 61% in some coursework I got today! Really given me the motivation to do some coursework I have in for Friday... feeling pretty motivated in general really
rainbowbex
Report 7 years ago
Gracing me with 61% in some coursework I got today! Really given me the motivation to do some coursework I have in for Friday... feeling pretty motivated in general really
That's fantastic! Motivation seems to be the thing most students don't have!

I am writing up myself a timetable for the week, I've got two very busy/nastily busy weeks ahead!

I'm very bad at being organised/motivated enough to tackle things early, but as things are already feeling behind, I'm trying to get cracking!
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 7 years ago
:nothing:
marille
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Things not to do your first time at a new Bible study: question whether the historicity of Jesus' resurrection and ascension is really important. :awesome:

(Not that I even think that, anyway - I was just presenting a different opinion...)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (173)
18.68%
No (560)
60.48%
Not really bothered about them (193)
20.84%

Watched Threads