The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I read one of Joel's books one time. It was nice, and I think I agreed with quite a lot of what he said but I don't think he used enough Bible quotes lol

I can't remember anything I've heard T. D. Jakes say, but erm... he just seems black

This is my favourite picture of him

Just saw your edit. I always wonder how pastors with such big churches look after the members (pastoral care :ahee:)

and how they can afford to keep their ministries going :hmmm:
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm so happy that a thread like this exists and that I've found it. :smile:
I'm sorry for that awfully structured post. I can't think right now.

Hi Doughnuts!!
I don't know I'm not sure. I'm all for Mega churches because that just means God is working on a huge scale, but for them as preachers and followers I am not sure about. Like on those channels where you "plant a seed" and you get rewarded by God. As if giving money to them will make God reward you! And things like TD Jakes prophesying someone is going to buy him a car on TV :sigh:

Joel Osteen is constantly preaching the prosperity gospel, which is fine, but since when does scripture or God revolve around giving money and becoming rich!? I don't like it, it is almost a scam. I mean there is a lot of prosperity talk in the bible about being blessed and such, but it doesn't revolve around money and certainly it doesn't revolve around giving money to him personally. His theology isn't that well read either.

I'm not sure about another group of preachers either, like Benny Hinn. I do quite like Joyce Meyer, but I heard she lives in grave excess. Though, not for me to judge and I find her to be a great speaker. But I was fine with Benny Hinn until reading up on some scandals, and was appalled quite frankly. He makes in surplus over 80 million personal profit to "heal" people...

Just outrageous... That part with the little girl, made me emotionally sick...
And apparently, there are many more cases like this and promises Hinn makes to many people but never follows through on. I don't know, I was shocked.
(edited 13 years ago)
:gah:

Yo, I'll watch this later
Original post by Facticity

But I'll reply to this bit quickly lol
I don't know I'm not sure. I'm all for Mega churches because that just means God is working on a huge scale, but for them as preachers and followers I am not sure about. Like on those channels where you "plant a seed" and you get rewarded by God. As if giving money to them will make God reward you! And things like TD Jakes prophesying someone is going to buy him a car on TV :sigh:

Joel Osteen is constantly preaching the prosperity gospel, which is fine, but since when does scripture or God revolve around giving money and becoming rich!? I don't like it, it is almost a scam. I mean there is a lot of prosperity talk in the bible about being blessed and such, but it doesn't revolve around money and certainly it doesn't revolve around giving money to him personally. His theology isn't that well read either.

Oh yeah, and they use phrases like "love gift". wtf. That always irritates me. And selling God (which is effectively what this is) happens all the time in Africa; ffs :facepalm2:

True, he doesn't seem to talk about much else, does he? :tongue: And that I think could potentially leave his 'followers' with a poor grasp of Christianity :yes:

:getmecoat:
Original post by + polarity -

But I'll reply to this bit quickly lol

Oh yeah, and they use phrases like "love gift". wtf. That always irritates me. And selling God (which is effectively what this is) happens all the time in Africa; ffs :facepalm2:

True, he doesn't seem to talk about much else, does he? :tongue: And that I think could potentially leave his 'followers' with a poor grasp of Christianity :yes:

:getmecoat:

I know, and TD Jakes talks so much nonsense, I'm hard pressed to see how people can follow so blindly. Its also funny because then these warring mega churches also break out in feuds and attack each other in a bid to be "right". I mean, how Christian of them :rolleyes: Look at this video, Benny Hinn's church attacks TD Jakes one. :sigh:

I know, so many people are "sold" God. They are told to give loads of money to these preachers and God will (for some reason) in term make them rich and prosperity in life. No reason to say God will, but there is a huge difference in saying "Give me money and God will make you rich and happy". God blesses in spirit and in material things, but you do not follow or trust God to get a "return" investment.

Honestly, Joel Osteen, I must admire him for his charisma. He knows how to talk, he can charm loads of people. If you pay attention to detail though, his scripture is not deep though and has been found on frequent occasion to make things up or say things not in scripture. Call me odd, but I like my scripture true and I like my preachers knowledgeable and true.

I know, and TD Jakes talks so much nonsense, I'm hard pressed to see how people can follow so blindly. Its also funny because then these warring mega churches also break out in feuds and attack each other in a bid to be "right". I mean, how Christian of them :rolleyes: Look at this video, Benny Hinn's church attacks TD Jakes one. :sigh:

I know, so many people are "sold" God. They are told to give loads of money to these preachers and God will (for some reason) in term make them rich and prosperity in life. No reason to say God will, but there is a huge difference in saying "Give me money and God will make you rich and happy". God blesses in spirit and in material things, but you do not follow or trust God to get a "return" investment.

Honestly, Joel Osteen, I must admire him for his charisma. He knows how to talk, he can charm loads of people. If you pay attention to detail though, his scripture is not deep though and has been found on frequent occasion to make things up or say things not in scripture. Call me odd, but I like my scripture true and I like my preachers knowledgeable and true.

:rofl:

I'll also watch that video later :colondollar:

alie

That's probably why I saw so little scripture in his book. :shifty:

I guess people just like to hear about how to get rich :nopity:

Oh Facticity, if only you were a girl. :innocent:

The worst thing for me is the justification that these mega preachers provide for their extravagant lifestyles. I really dislike the fact that they just say, "It's all blessing from God for spreading prosperity to others". :sigh:
Original post by Doughnuts!!
I'm so happy that a thread like this exists and that I've found it. :smile:

Same here!!
Hello :-)
How are you??
Original post by randdom
On the alcohol issue, I don't drink but I haven't since long before I become a Christian because it never really agreed with me. However I have lots of Christian friends who enjoy a glass of wine and I don't' really think that is a problem. I think that getting drunk and loosing control could well be more of an issue from a Christian perspective but drinking in moderation probably doesn't have to be.

Try to remain positive. I know that it is difficult when you feel that what you want is getting further and further away but the worst thing to do right now is to dwell on it. The exams are finished and the best thing that you can do is probably to try to focus on the new modules that you are doing until your exam results are out and you actually know what the situation is. When it comes to the fact that you don't have any offers, it is still early days, I didn't get my first offer until February and I ended up with three so it can still happen. Have you tried praying about it and asking god for guidance and support during this difficult time? That is something that I find really helpful and I find that it works and I often do feel a sense of calm come over me.

I was just wondering if that testimony thread got started?

Original post by rainbowbex
I've just drunk enough on enough occasions to know. lol Also, I'm fairly sure that it was proven that darker drinks were more likely to give you a hangover due to the content :smile:

Don't worry on the offers front, I got mine through on UCAS on the 7th April. (I'd pretty much given up hope too)

Relax, have you tried praying before you work, I've found that has really helped me. I'm so much better at working this year than I was last year, I think God really stepped in for me on my exam :smile:

We had a bit of discussion about this earlier in the thread about exams, pg 121 ish maybs. Just really go for it over the next two days, you'll be suprised what you can accomplish. and even if you do have all of those exams in june/july you still the oportunity to get psycology in the bag AND you won't know how you've done til results come back.

and don't forget, past papers are your friend :smile:

I think that's what I'd personally decided, but was definately interested in what other people had to say :h:

The testimony thread didn't get started afaik. Mostly because I didn't think it was fair to start without posting my testimony :colondollar: and I'm not quite ready to post that yet.

God bless guys, you're in my prayers!

Thank you so much for the support!

I understand that praying is a private matter and it differentiates between each individual but don't mind me asking, how do you both do it? It's an awkward question and you do not need to answer it all; I'm just curious.
Original post by Doughnuts!!
The worst thing for me is the justification that these mega preachers provide for their extravagant lifestyles. I really dislike the fact that they just say, "It's all blessing from God for spreading prosperity to others". :sigh:

I know its appalling. Like I heard that Joyce Meyer last year bought her 3rd house which had like Golden Eagle statues! Why?! And she bought her 2nd private jet?! I was like :lolwut: For tens of millions of pounds! Then she comes on TV and preaches to me about being selfish with money and needing to give more of it to charity and help out the kids in Africa! I just seethe with anger at those kinds of things.
That said, I cannot fault her biblical knowledge, she does seem to be very into God, however its things like these which dent my faith in her :sadnod:

:rofl:

I'll also watch that video later :colondollar:

alie

That's probably why I saw so little scripture in his book. :shifty:

I guess people just like to hear about how to get rich :nopity:

Oh Facticity, if only you were a girl. :innocent:

Lol no problem. Yea man, these guys really know how to talk innocent people out of their money.

Sorry Pol, I'm all XY. :smug: lol

By the way, how do you put things in a drop down thingy for like in your sig?
Welcome to Christian Soc by the way Doughnuts! :smile:

Its not normally like this, I just felt like bringing up this this issue, because it has been bugging me for a while :tongue:

By the way, how do you put things in a drop down thingy for like in your sig?

[noparse][/noparse]
:biggrin:

[noparse][/noparse]
:biggrin:

Cool, totally Expanding some praise :colone:
Original post by Gemma :)!
Same here!!
Hello :-)
How are you??

I'm very fine, thank you very much. Yourself?

This thread is great for support and stuff!
Original post by Sammydemon

On it... in a few mins :yy:
Original post by d123
Reading a few of the posts about testimony, it's something I've always been a little unsure of, because I really don't have one, and hearing other people's sometimes makes me feel almost inadequate. Of course, sometimes people's testimonies can be inspiring, and if they want to share, it can be helpful, but I think it's down to the individual and also to the situation, whether or not it's appropriate to share.

Out of interest, how many other people on this thread don't have a testimony as such? I'm using testimony here in the sense of 'story of how I came to faith'.

I don't have a sudden or easily definable one either :smile:
What do people here think about preachers like Joel Osteen and T.D. Jakes? Also their corresponding group of Mega Churches and televangelists. I am very curious as to how others see them.

Shiny and creepy.
And Osteen's accent is too redneck for his flashy image. Cognitive dissonance. Bleurghghhhh.

Edit: And the whole prosperity gospel thing. Which is so sickeningly anti-Christian... but mainly the accent and suits.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending