Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Christian Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughnuts!!)
    I'm very fine, thank you very much. Yourself?

This thread is great for support and stuff!
    Good, yes I'm fine thanks :-)

I know, I was amazed when I found it the other day!! And even more surprised that it hasn't been hijacked by haters!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The worst thing for me is the justification that these mega preachers provide for their extravagant lifestyles. I really dislike the fact that they just say, "It's all blessing from God for spreading prosperity to others". :sigh:
    What bugs me about prosperity gospel is the converse of it "You're poor because you're not blessed by God"

I've been meaning to find this thread for a while too, but have only just got round to procrastinating finding it
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Facticity)
    Sorry to hear about your student group, I have gone through a few groups myself, it seems the youth communities are fading in some areas, I feel as if I should do something but it is a hard thing to do and get people involved in

Well, if they do really matter and yourself likewise to them, then they will understand and they will be helpful. The real you doesn't necessarily mean you share every single thing about you, but if you want to share then great.

haha no problem. I've never had a mentor per se. Just some close youth workers and leaders and such... I've never thought about having one, probably because I feel I have good leaders willing to help always. Well, each to their own I suppose. She has it like I do?

No problem, if I didn't want ramblings and stories about others' lives, I wouldn't be on TSR
    I have a new one, but it has a different feel. it's less bible studyish, but I need to give it more of a try as I've only been to a couple. I do really love my church

Mentorship is really fantastic imo. it's like real accountability. the student group here is really going for accountability. How can we show others what it's like to live for christ is we don't? and that accountability I think pushes you to grow etc. I love her to peices because I've text her pretty much from some guys bed and she's still been there 100% I really out to tell her how much she means. I'm so bad at the emotional crap.

I mean she's like 'you've got it' as in she says that to me. Sorry I'm no good at grammar and talk crap.

lol. so true. I love H&R
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Calumcalum)
    Shiny and creepy.
    And Osteen's accent is too redneck for his flashy image. Cognitive dissonance. Bleurghghhhh.

Edit: And the whole prosperity gospel thing. Which is so sickeningly anti-Christian... but mainly the accent and suits.
    :rofl: I know, he likes to say that a lot. I'm not sure he knows what it means. He smiles far too much as well :sigh:

I know, the whole Prosperity Gospel is disgusting. So un-biblical and so full of put down. "If you're not blessed or struggling its because you're not giving enough money to me "sowing enough seeds" but give me money and God will bless you". It saddens me. :facepalm2:

Its sad that the biggest churches are falling into this nonsense. And some recent revelation into some of the big names has been shocking for me. See videos I posted above for what I mean. But... what can you do...
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I'm so happy that a thread like this exists and that I've found it.
    yay this thread is pretty awesome! I'm pretty much a standard lurker here So feel free to holla at me (yeh I can't believe I just used the word holla either)

(Original post by Gemma :)!)
    Same here!!
    Hello :-)
    How are you??
    I'm glad you like it I know I don't even run this group, but I'd like to think I'm a pretty frequent lurker and it gives me joy that something as simple as a thread on an online forum can support people in their journey with Christ and well, life in general (oops almost too deep)

I don't have a sudden or easily definable one either
    I don't think testimony is about sudden or definition, it's about your journey with God. Specific events that have encouraged you with your faith. My testimony is interwoven with my life story. So starts when I was 5. It's still going now. I don't think it's just about when you first came to know christ. I can tell you of the bomb drop moment, but it didn't just happen, God built me up to there, and now I'm still moving on. sometimes one step forward two steps back. sometimes three steps forward one step back. At least that's what it feels like. Except the backward steps aren't necessarily failures because I learn something from them.
    (Original post by Tzarchasm)
    Thank you so much for the support!

I understand that praying is a private matter and it differentiates between each individual but don't mind me asking, how do you both do it? It's an awkward question and you do not need to answer it all; I'm just curious.
    Praying can be private and it can be shared. In it's basic form I'd describe it as a conversation with God. (calum will probs explain more theologically) I think it's about seeking to spend time with God too. Sometimes for me it's not just even about the words, it's an outpour of heart.

I can't really describe a certain way to do it. Some people like to start with worship songs, some people like to start with reading the bible.

Deliberate time with God.

I know that probs sounds all a bit mooshed, but hopefully it'll help. Are you stuck into a church? or is that difficult for you at home?

And no worries.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Lantana)
    What bugs me about prosperity gospel is the converse of it "You're poor because you're not blessed by God"

I've been meaning to find this thread for a while too, but have only just got round to procrastinating finding it
    I'm sure there is something in the surmon on the mount that says blessed are the poor, though it might be blessed are the poor of spirit.

and also I've a feeling jesus says a lot about rich people making it to heaven.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by rainbowbex)
    Praying can be private and it can be shared. In it's basic form I'd describe it as a conversation with God. (calum will probs explain more theologically) I think it's about seeking to spend time with God too. Sometimes for me it's not just even about the words, it's an outpour of heart.

I can't really describe a certain way to do it. Some people like to start with worship songs, some people like to start with reading the bible.

Deliberate time with God.
    :yes: I normally rant or rabbit on at him if I'm praying on my own. In groups, it tends to have an element of edification for that group. And then at other times God hijacks you. I also should do it more often. Is anybody following the soul survivor bible readings?

I'm sure there is something in the surmon on the mount that says blessed are the poor, though it might be blessed are the poor of spirit.

and also I've a feeling jesus says a lot about rich people making it to heaven.
    Matthew 5:3
    It just seems so countercurrent to what the whole bible keeps repeating about justice for the poor
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    :yes: I normally rant or rabbit on at him if I'm praying on my own. In groups, it tends to have an element of edification for that group. And then at other times God hijacks you. I also should do it more often. Is anybody following the soul survivor bible readings?
    I meant to, but it's not happened. I've been recently challenged to read my bible more.

So I'm going to start. I started ezekiel so I think I'll carry on with that!

tummteetummmm *waits for bread to cook*

ReputationRep:
    I don't think testimony is about sudden or definition, it's about your journey with God. Specific events that have encouraged you with your faith. My testimony is interwoven with my life story. So starts when I was 5. It's still going now. I don't think it's just about when you first came to know christ. I can tell you of the bomb drop moment, but it didn't just happen, God built me up to there, and now I'm still moving on. sometimes one step forward two steps back. sometimes three steps forward one step back. At least that's what it feels like. Except the backward steps aren't necessarily failures because I learn something from them.
    Yeah, one of the most frustrating things can be the response to talking about testimonies e.g. "it doesn't matter if you don't have a very exciting one, you can still talk about how you became a Christian". Testimonies aren't stories of how people became Christians (though that can be included) - they're literally testaments and recordings of what God's done. The whole idea of a testimony as 'personal' and 'individual' troubles me too - of course, we do have our own personal testimonies in the sense that God might have shown us something specifically, but for me the whole point of the Christian faith is that the whole Church has a joint testimony - that of the risen Christ, which we proclaim to the world through word and deed.

I need to calm down
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I meant to, but it's not happened. I've been recently challenged to read my bible more.

So I'm going to start. I started ezekiel so I think I'll carry on with that!

tummteetummmm *waits for bread to cook*
    I started, got to December, went home and forgot about it as didn't have my routine in place and feel a bit far behind now!

Mmm, bread.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Yeah, one of the most frustrating things can be the response to talking about testimonies e.g. "it doesn't matter if you don't have a very exciting one, you can still talk about how you became a Christian". Testimonies aren't stories of how people became Christians (though that can be included) - they're literally testaments and recordings of what God's done. The whole idea of a testimony as 'personal' and 'individual' troubles me too - of course, we do have our own personal testimonies in the sense that God might have shown us something specifically, but for me the whole point of the Christian faith is that the whole Church has a joint testimony - that of the risen Christ, which we proclaim to the world through word and deed.

I need to calm down
    I would argue that you can't proclaim the joint testimony without the individual! The church is a body too, and it's individual testimony's that can have the greatest power (I feel) because they can highlight specific points of God's kingdom. cummon, I've probably rambled enough in this thread for people to get a pretty good idea of where I've come from and where I am now.

The current, present me that proclaims the risen Christ, isn't the person I was, and it's the change from the person I was the shows God's glory. Show's his almighty healing power.

I was a broken individual, with cracks so deep and so dark in my heart that I couldn't even feel that they were there anymore I was so used to them. That doesn't just change on it's own. Without knowing that about me, surely someone could just argue that I was just raised christian and I'm a good person.

And it's just not like that!

I don't know why I'm getting so worked up I just think that the whole (the body) is a reflection of the individual parts.

But who says that? :confused:
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I started, got to December, went home and forgot about it as didn't have my routine in place and feel a bit far behind now!

Mmm, bread.
    so just get started again with wherever you are, can always make it a lil longer than a year or do double for the next couple of weeks to catch you back up

don't give up!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I burnt my bread
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I've probably rambled enough in this thread for people to get a pretty good idea of where I've come from and where I am now.
    I don't, Can I have a potted summary? I love hearing what's God done in peoples' lives.
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    But who says that? :confused:
    It's just the converse of what the prosperity gospel preaches - God will bless you with wealth if you pray for it/ give some money to xyz church/preacher

so just get started again with wherever you are, can always make it a lil longer than a year or do double for the next couple of weeks to catch you back up

don't give up!
    I think I just need to fit bible reading back into my routine which got all of whack with winter/ sleeping patterns and I still haven't got it all sorted yet -stupid frosts!

ReputationRep:
    I would argue that you can't proclaim the joint testimony without the individual! The church is a body too, and it's individual testimony's that can have the greatest power (I feel) because they can highlight specific points of God's kingdom. cummon, I've probably rambled enough in this thread for people to get a pretty good idea of where I've come from and where I am now.

The current, present me that proclaims the risen Christ, isn't the person I was, and it's the change from the person I was the shows God's glory. Show's his almighty healing power.

I was a broken individual, with cracks so deep and so dark in my heart that I couldn't even feel that they were there anymore I was so used to them. That doesn't just change on it's own. Without knowing that about me, surely someone could just argue that I was just raised christian and I'm a good person.

And it's just not like that!

I don't know why I'm getting so worked up I just think that the whole (the body) is a reflection of the individual parts.
    Don't get me wrong; I think individual experiences of and personal stories of relationship with God are immensely important and powerful, I'm just sceptical about relating that too closely to the idea of 'testimony', particularly when it's portrayed as if there's no more to testimony than the sum of each individual believer's journey with God.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I burnt my bread
    :console:

Buy some :yep:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Just a big prayer request!

Glasgow CU mission's week starts 14th of feb and as part of that we're putting on The Mark Drama on 14th and 15th.

I'm part of the cast, and we desperately need prayers for the cast that we will learn it all, everyone that we will have the nerves to invite people, and the people who come to see it that they can be touched by what God has done for them.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Just a big prayer request!

Glasgow CU mission's week starts 14th of feb and as part of that we're putting on The Mark Drama on 14th and 15th.

I'm part of the cast, and we desperately need prayers for the cast that we will learn it all, everyone that we will have the nerves to invite people, and the people who come to see it that they can be touched by what God has done for them.
    if its any encouragement, bristol CU did it last yr and i believe it was a success

will add it in xx
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    if its any encouragement, bristol CU did it last yr and i believe it was a success

will add it in xx
    Thanks, I've heard some amazing reports of it being done and the most confident atheists questioning/converting! Just really hope it all comes together!

Mind you, with God, all things are possible!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2011
Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.