TSR Christian Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rainbowbex)
I'd really encourage you to keep up with the church search, don't worry if you haven't found one you want to commit to yet, but it's commiting to a specific church that can really help it grow.. I mean it's hard to invite someone to church with you if you're not commited to a church. Don't worry, I'm not criticising in any way, I just want to encourage you! I spent the first month of uni convinced I didn't need a church, because I had been so poorly provided for by my church at home.
Definitely going to keep looking, just at the minute haven't found one where the balance between great praise and worship and amazing teaching has been right...

(Original post by d123)
Which churches have you tried? It took me a while to find somewhere I felt comfortable - it's worth it though, if you can manage it.
Tron which I found too traditional for me
Vineyard which I did like, but as it's in West End it is a right trek on a sunday morning
Was going to try Hope but after reading their website, thought it sounded rather too liberal for me
Next week I'm going to try Reope because I've been intrigued ever since their adverts in the subway...plus a 4pm service fits in very nicely with lie ins on sundays :getmecoat:

Where are you at?
JB Johnstone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
"Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead." Philippians 3:8-11

LOVE IT!

Anyone else like Christian rap? I normally hate rap but I've been listening to a lot of Lecrae and Dwayne Tryumf and D Cype lately. So good!
Lantana
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by 22KT22)
Random q: How many of you here are involved in your uni's or colleges CU? Just quite intrigued tbh.

Also I am so excited to go to church tomorrow, I miss my church at uni when I'm back at home (become very disillusioned with the church back home and need to find a new one but find it difficult to do so) and so haven't gone over christmas.
I was in my last uni, but this one is too big and impersonal and I don't have time for it. I think sometimes CU gets a bit cliquey, but on the other hand, I met some of my good friends there.

(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
At my first uni, I didn't find the church I liked until 3rd year... For 2 years, I went to a church where they had good teaching, and outreach but I didn't click with it. I felt more at home in the CU meetings, and now at 2nd uni, it's the other way round where I loved the first church I went to. Sometimes it just takes time and a bit of searching.
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lantana)
I was in my last uni, but this one is too big and impersonal and I don't have time for it. I think sometimes CU gets a bit cliquey, but on the other hand, I met some of my good friends there.

At my first uni, I didn't find the church I liked until 3rd year... For 2 years, I went to a church where they had good teaching, and outreach but I didn't click with it. I felt more at home in the CU meetings, and now at 2nd uni, it's the other way round where I loved the first church I went to. Sometimes it just takes time and a bit of searching.
Yeah I just need to find a good one. Over past term I alternated between two, but neither was quite right, and I definitely feel more at home in the CU meetings, but hopefully the church I'm trying next week will suit me. I somehow feel as though God wants me to go to the Church (They advertised in the subway which I use to get to uni, a speaker from them was at the carol service etc.)...so I'll give it a shot!
22KT22
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I guess it's different in every CU, I found in mine being CofE that I was kinda 'victimised' (for want of a better word) and was forced into situations I didn't like such as group praying (I have to know people very well to be able to do it and find it really hard to do it with strangers as my prayers are personal and it makes me feel very vulnerable). I think in theory it's amazing as I've said but for me i think if i'd stayed it would have pushed me away.

I have a good network of christian friends; my two housemates both are and I have a group I've met through church and chaplaincy

I guess it's a case of finding what's right for you. Did anyone find it difficult to leave CU if they left and does anyone who doesn't go to CU feel sort of obliged to since it's what christians at uni do? (I know people at my church asked me if I went and seemed shocked when I said no).
22KT22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Also I'm on tonight's songs of praise lol
d123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Definitely going to keep looking, just at the minute haven't found one where the balance between great praise and worship and amazing teaching has been right...

Tron which I found too traditional for me
Vineyard which I did like, but as it's in West End it is a right trek on a sunday morning
Was going to try Hope but after reading their website, thought it sounded rather too liberal for me
Next week I'm going to try Reope because I've been intrigued ever since their adverts in the subway...plus a 4pm service fits in very nicely with lie ins on sundays :getmecoat:

Where are you at?
Ah cool. I'm at St Mary's, which I really like, but from the sounds of it it probably isn't what you're looking for - it's fairly traditional in terms of worship style and very liberal in terms of theology.
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by d123)
Ah cool. I'm at St Mary's, which I really like, but from the sounds of it it probably isn't what you're looking for - it's fairly traditional in terms of worship style and very liberal in terms of theology.
Liberal theology is fine, but Hope church was talking about healings and visions...and I'm just not quite sure about that

I guess what I'm looking for is something like the Christian summer camp I go on...hopefully Re: Hope should have that!
d123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Liberal theology is fine, but Hope church was talking about healings and visions...and I'm just not quite sure about that

I guess what I'm looking for is something like the Christian summer camp I go on...hopefully Re: Hope should have that!
Fair enough

Well, I hope you find somewhere you like - definitely worth checking out Re: Hope, I remember seeing the adverts for it on the subway. I guess if you liked the Vineyard, then if you're living down in the west end next year that would be a possibility. I think I've met a couple of people who go there.

Which Christian summer camp is that?
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by d123)
Fair enough

Well, I hope you find somewhere you like - definitely worth checking out Re: Hope, I remember seeing the adverts for it on the subway. I guess if you liked the Vineyard, then if you're living down in the west end next year that would be a possibility. I think I've met a couple of people who go there.

Which Christian summer camp is that?
Lymington Rushmore

Yeah I've got a few friends who go to Vineyard, it just isn't practical really... and while Re: Hope is also West End, it's Kelvinbridge area rather than even further west than Byres Road...plus 4pm is a good time!!
Tzarchasm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anyone know of any Orthodox churches?
rainbowbex
Badges: 14
Report 7 years ago
Hope you lot don't mind, this is another slightly awkward/personal question and you're all welcome to think I'm insane for even asking. Yeah anyway

How many of you are in relationship? I don't even know why it matters, but my christian friends have been trying to set me up and yeah :/
d123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hope you lot don't mind, this is another slightly awkward/personal question and you're all welcome to think I'm insane for even asking. Yeah anyway

How many of you are in relationship? I don't even know why it matters, but my christian friends have been trying to set me up and yeah :/
I'm not, I'd like to be though.

If your friends can find someone decent, it's worth giving it a go - allowing them to set you up with someone is hardly committing to marriage! But if you aren't comfortable with the idea, then say no.
Lantana
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not either. My (non-xian) friends said they wanted to set me up and I laughed at them wishing them good luck in that endeavour! However, saying that, what seems like my entire youth group at home seems to be engaged and getting married this summer. It gets a bit overkill at times.
Doughnuts!!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would quite like to be in a relationship with a good Christian girl that could keep me on the straight and narrow. My ex wasn't a Christian and as it was my first serious relationship I kinda got a bit too excited... :sigh:
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Not in a relationship. Would love to find a Christian guy to date...in fact have a date with a Christian guy tomorrow...
Unfortunately he on an Erasmus exchange, so shall only have one date with him, then 5 month break, then hopefully more dates!
22KT22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm in a relationship (with a fellow christian) and have been for 3 and a half years. Luckily none of my christian friends were the type to set me up I do think we were brought together for a reason and part of that was so that he could help me keep my faith through so horrendous times in my life.

For those of you in relationships (sorry another personal q) do you worry whether you guys being together is God's will?

It's the only thing that causes issues with my bf and I as he sometimes worries about it and about whether God wants different things for us.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

I am in a relationship. My boyfriend (who is actually a member of this society) and I have been together for three and a half years. At the start of my fourth year of university I started going to church and was eventually baptised, my boyfriend attended my baptism and then started coming to church with me on a regular basis and then was baptised soon after. So while neither of us started out as Christians we both are now

Is there something about being in a relationship that you are worried about?
JB Johnstone
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am not. Spent the last few months at bible college in York though, seems like everyone's getting married and hooking up over there! It's a brilliant place, problem is that it has this atmosphere that if you go there you're going to meet someone and get married, I've seen that idea really hurt a few guys there.

If I was going to date it'd be with the intention of marriage, obviously, and I'm nowhere near mature enough (spiritually or otherwise) or in a good place in my life to marry.
Though in my church yesterday the sermon was on 1 Corinthians 7, and they built it up beforehand to be like "tips for who to look for". Not quite sure who the sermon was aimed at - most of the church is either middle aged or older couples or young kids - I'm the only regular going young person (ie. 18-30) going at the moment. Interesting. And it's not like we're going through 1 Corinthians or anything, our pastor just seems to pick topics and sections at random. It's weird.
JB Johnstone
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am not. Spent the last few months at bible college in York though, seems like everyone's getting married and hooking up over there! It's a brilliant place, problem is that it has this atmosphere that if you go there you're going to meet someone and get married, I've seen that idea really hurt a few guys there.

If I was going to date it'd be with the intention of marriage, obviously, and I'm nowhere near mature enough (spiritually or otherwise) or in a good place in my life to marry.
Though in my church yesterday the sermon was on 1 Corinthians 7, and they built it up beforehand to be like "tips for who to look for". Not quite sure who the sermon was aimed at - most of the church is either middle aged or older couples or young kids - I'm the only regular going young person (ie. 18-30) going at the moment. Interesting. And it's not like we're going through 1 Corinthians or anything, our pastor just seems to pick topics and sections at random. It's weird.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (71)
30.34%
No - I got the required grades (132)
56.41%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (31)
13.25%

Watched Threads