The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Facticity

Sí, il mio italiano é molto bene :u:

Alla presente sto studiando il mio secondo anno di italiano, se Dio vuole ho un buon grado :biggrin:

C'é bella! Per me, ho studiato per due anni a 'scuola' ma poi, sono andata all' universita e non hanno lezioni italiani :frown: E così, ricomincio italiano ancora qui! Fa male alla mia testa!
Reply 2801
Original post by meatball893
I'm assuming you mean the original texts. I'm afraid I don't know Ancient Greek/Aramaic/Hebrew/etc.. That's what translations are for. By reading a variety of translations, it is possible to discern pretty much exactly what was meant.

yes, you are bang on it, I have nothing against organised religion per se, but christians as a collective are not exactly following christianity as the exact meaning of what christianity is has been washed down over the centuries and now we have different versions of the bible, eg. the KJV bible. - it is all pretty much there, but it could also be pretty much not true to what christianity is supposed to be.

But the even funnier thing (a monthy pythonesque moment if you will is) modern day christians are either oblivious or think it doesnt mean much that they have essentially lost the true christianity as such.

It doesnt add up.

The whole point is that it's impossible to follow! That's why we need Jesus! Look at Matthew 5, particularly from verse 21 onwards. Sure, it doesn't endanger our salvation if we do sinful things, but that doesn't mean that we're "allowed" to do them. Jesus and Paul and any of the letter-writers actively discourage sinful behaviour, and say that we should be striving for holiness.

How can God have made a religion that is impossible to follow? it doesnt make sense, then hasnt that religion failed as it is impossible to follow, as such how is it going to lead its flock to heaven, peace or whatever it is you get from abiding by the precepts of that religion then?

Also Mt 10:38 - "Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me." This is anything but "la dee da."

How does Mt 10:38 prove that what is being practiced as christianity now isnt la dee da?

pls +ve rep me. :smile:
Original post by Darkages
yes, you are bang on it, I have nothing against organised religion per se, but christians as a collective are not exactly following christianity as the exact meaning of what christianity is has been washed down over the centuries and now we have different versions of the bible, eg. the KJV bible. - it is all pretty much there, but it could also be pretty much not true to what christianity is supposed to be.

But the even funnier thing (a monthy pythonesque moment if you will is) modern day christians are either oblivious or think it doesnt mean much that they have essentially lost the true christianity as such.

It doesnt add up.

How can God have made a religion that is impossible to follow? it doesnt make sense, then hasnt that religion failed as it is impossible to follow, as such how is it going to lead its flock to heaven, peace or whatever it is you get from abiding by the precepts of that religion then?

How does Mt 10:38 prove that what is being practiced as christianity now isnt la dee da?

pls +ve rep me. :smile:

The whole point is that in order to get to heaven, we need to be sinless. People have sinned. Thus we have failed, in a way. The OT law points out the sin to us, and demonstrates our need for a saviour.
The point is that we cannot get to heaven on our own merit, but because of what Christ has done.

The whole taking up the cross thing - not easy to fully surrender your life over to God.
Original post by ruhan

Please refrain from spamming this thread with a link like that. Its just insulting if not rude.

I do not think I would be taken kindly if I entered the Islam Society (meant for discussion among fellow believers) and started posting about Christianity and such.
Original post by + polarity -
Nah man

just step up in a church

find the pastor

see if they're available :yep:

Guys, I thought the 'image of God' mean we have a body/spirit/soul?! What does it mean?!?!

Also, :frown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp-Ku-_ekAY
What's wrong dude? :frown:
Original post by Darkages
I am not a christian.

Be honest with yourself:

how many of yourself actually have read the true bible and not just a 'version' of it?

Christians don't see the Bible in the same way as Muslims see the Qur'an. Translations thus count as the Bible. (Though I do have a Greek NT I use for serious study).

how many of you follow the precepts of what christianity teaches?

None, but we try.

how many of you stick to it cos it is not all that hard to follow?

Probably none.

I mean you can eat pork and other meats, drink, be friendly and very sociable with the opposite sex, dress however you like. - it is a much easier religion to follow than islam or buddhism for example.

And 'be perfect, as your Father in heaven is perfect', sure.

And all you have to do is believe jesus is god, bam! your sins are forgotten.

Forgiven*, not forgotten.

It is the most la dee da mainstream religion ever!!

This is pretty vacuous.
Reply 2807
Original post by Calumcalum
Forgiven*, not forgotten.

Doesn't Christianity preach orthopraxy as well as orthodoxy? What use are the rulings of the Bible if failure to practice orthopraxy does not result in punishment or a threat of punishment?
Superior in what sense? Ontologically, relationally...?
And no. The Bible claims that life originally came from dust, so is God a mud-monster?

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Like hair, you mean?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Qe1wgxDiEdU/TJ3kk1FsNaI/AAAAAAAACPY/l3cEzqUxYrE/s1600/KG_30th_Raj_Hairy_Ass_Arm.sized.jpg

Not going to lower myself to responding to this.

Okay, to cut this short so that you understand what I am 'getting at': the theory of evolution is incomplete and is filled with holes. David Kitz correctly said: "Evolution requires intermediate forms between species and paleontology does not provide them". Therefore, there are not even any transitional fossils! And do not get me started on the so-called human skeletons found in Africa.

'Lower' yourself? You are a Christian and you do not believe in Satan, sin and virtue? It sounds like you simply believe in God and let science fill the rest of your conscience.
Original post by slawaccess23
Doesn't Christianity preach orthopraxy as well as orthodoxy? What use are the rulings of the Bible if failure to practice orthopraxy does not result in punishment or a threat of punishment?

Well, there were other problems with the statement, of course; I just picked the one that was most glaring. :wink:
Original post by Lantana

Original post by Lantana
C'é bella! Per me, ho studiato per due anni a 'scuola' ma poi, sono andata all' universita e non hanno lezioni italiani :frown: E così, ricomincio italiano ancora qui! Fa male alla mia testa!

Grazzie! A Prima erá molto dificile ma penso che sto migliorando. La IB programma é molto dificile ma si spera realizzeró un buon voto.

É molto simpatico trovare un altro parlante di italiano. Mi dispiace ascoltare di la sua problema italiano comunque, il suo italiano é molto buono :redface:

Sto pregando al Dio per aiutare con i miei essame! Se vuoi potremmo parlare nel italiano a volte quindo entrambi abbbiamo pratica :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2812
The opening statements on this site show how Islam doesn't believe in the work of the Holy Spirit in people, personally giving them God's guidance and nature. Instead it advocates following Muhammed to attain to these things.

Would that be fair comment?
Reply 2813
Original post by rainbowbex
Good.

How has your day been? I'm going home... :smile: I think my parents would rather I came home a little less...

but, I'm starting to hate my flat.

Aww no :frown: how come?

I'm very lucky with housemates, managed to find two christians doing the same course who are great mates as well :smile: Means a quiet/clean house.

Everyone looking forward to the weekend?
Original post by Alex-jc123
Okay, to cut this short so that you understand what I am 'getting at': the theory of evolution is incomplete and is filled with holes. David Kitz correctly said: "Evolution requires intermediate forms between species and paleontology does not provide them". Therefore, there are not even any transitional fossils! And do not get me started on the so-called human skeletons found in Africa.

Evolution requires intermediate forms between species. It does not follow that it needs archaeological evidence of each intermediate form.

'Lower' yourself? You are a Christian and you do not believe in Satan, sin and virtue? It sounds like you simply believe in God and let science fill the rest of your conscience.

I haven't said a single word of this, so yes, lower myself.
Reply 2815
Well, there were other problems with the statement, of course; I just picked the one that was most glaring. :wink:

That might be true, but I'm still curious. If belief is all that is required to be 'saved', then somethings clearly not quite right with this particular belief system, especially since the Bible demands orthopraxy.

That might be true, but I'm still curious. If belief is all that is required to be 'saved', then somethings clearly not quite right with this particular belief system, especially since the Bible demands orthopraxy.

It is not just belief that is required. Belief and an honest and desperate heart is needed. If someone truly desires their faith and truly want to follow their God out of love, then they are compelled to give up their sinful ways. Obviously no one is perfect, but it does not make sense to say you sincerely believe but do not make an effort to follow the faith. I do not think the two can be separated.

Punishment is not necessarily a sign of anything, if not fear. I do not see why a punishment in this world is even required if the punishment in the next world is for eternity.

I think if you want to continue this conversation, we should move to the 'Ask A Christian' thread though :smile:

Whatever the conditions are for salvation, I don't think that it's belief without works (unless TULIP is true). For me, unless TULIP pertains, belief itself is a work. I don't know what is required for salvation. Sometimes I lean towards grace and unconditional salvation, when I'm in a universalist mood. At other times, I lean towards salvation through grace but still *conditional* on works. Other times, I think it's genuine repentance and the decision to begin changing a life of works (this would mean that those who, by happenstance, die immediately after converting are not left out).
Reply 2818
Original post by Facticity
It is not just belief that is required. Belief and an honest and desperate heart is needed. If someone truly desires their faith and truly want to follow their God out of love, then they are compelled to give up their sinful ways. Obviously no one is perfect, but it does not make sense to say you sincerely believe but do not make an effort to follow the faith. I do not think the two can be separated.

Punishment is not necessarily a sign of anything, if not fear. I do not see why a punishment in this world is even required if the punishment in the next world is for eternity.

I think if you want to continue this conversation, we should move to the 'Ask A Christian' thread though :smile:

Exactly, it's a bit like a vegetarian who believes that eating meat is downright immoral, and yet they regularly eat meat. If one is a true vegetarian, they will abstain from meat because they truly believe in what they stand for and therefore are prepared to act upon it. So for a religion to legislate but then ignore the fact that people don't care about it, it defeats the purpose of the Bible. I meant punishment in the hereafter, not this world.

I know, this is society thread, sorry. It seems a bit active now that's all. :biggrin:
Evolution requires intermediate forms between species. It does not follow that it needs archaeological evidence of each intermediate form.

I haven't said a single word of this, so yes, lower myself.

Well, the fact you disagree shows that approaches to the theory of evolution are just as divided and varied as Christian approaches to God and Scripture.

Perhaps you refuse to answer because you refuse to believe that life is primarily a rigid test of faith?

Latest

Trending

Trending