The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Evangelicalism is based on a "high view" of Scripture, an emphasis on the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, an emphasis on personal conversion, and an emphasis on evangelism (note that this is only a part of evangelicalism). And although I personally am an evangelical, I definitely don't think you have to subscribe to those to be a Christian!
Reply 4101
Original post by marille
Hmm, I'm a bit so-so with mine. College people are lovely (a lot of them are friends from chapel), although they're sometimes a bit too conservative for me, so I don't go that often. And I've never been to any of the uni-wide stuff...

It all differs so much according to the individuals in each gathering, I think!

I'm the same in the sense that there are some lovely people in CU when they're on their own it's just as a group I get uncomfortable.
Reply 4102
Original post by Calumcalum
Evangelicalism is based on a "high view" of Scripture, an emphasis on the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, an emphasis on personal conversion, and an emphasis on evangelism (note that this is only a part of evangelicalism). And although I personally am an evangelical, I definitely don't think you have to subscribe to those to be a Christian!

I wouldn't say that that is particular to evangelicalism, to be honest.

Also, it is undoubtedly more concerned with conversion in general, but is that all you meant by "personal conversion"? What's so impersonal about other traditions' attitudes towards conversion?

(Edit: Btw, this post appears more combative than I meant it to be! I'm just having an allergic reaction to the gorgeous cat that hangs around college at the moment ... woe.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by marille
I wouldn't say that that is particular to evangelicalism, to be honest.

Also, it is undoubtedly more concerned with conversion in general, but is that all you meant by "personal conversion"? What's so impersonal about other traditions' attitudes towards conversion?

(Edit: Btw, this post appears more combative than I meant it to be! I'm just having an allergic reaction to the gorgeous cat that hangs around college at the moment ... woe.)

Lol :tongue: it's not that those four things are exclusive to evangelicalism, just that they, put together, are sufficient for evangelicalism, and are individually necessary for it. I'd be quite surprised if there were a group of people who believed in all those four things, and if no one else believed in any of them at all!

P.S. Get well soon :smile:
Reply 4104
Lol :tongue: it's not that those four things are exclusive to evangelicalism, just that they, put together, are sufficient for evangelicalism, and are individually necessary for it. I'd be quite surprised if there were a group of people who believed in all those four things, and if no one else believed in any of them at all!

P.S. Get well soon :smile:

Fair 'nuff! And thanks. : )

Just had a really interesting tute on Intelligent Design. Bearing in mind that this soc is all about building each other up and learning from each other, what do you guys think of it? (I'm just curious to see what views are like in this reasonably varied group!)
Original post by marille
Fair 'nuff! And thanks. : )

Just had a really interesting tute on Intelligent Design. Bearing in mind that this soc is all about building each other up and learning from each other, what do you guys think of it? (I'm just curious to see what views are like in this reasonably varied group!)

It depends how it's defined - it's often really misrepresented. I don't find the biological stuff to do with Intelligent Design convincing (e.g. Behe), but if you allow a broader definition (e.g. including fine tuning) then I think it's reasonably persuasive.
Reply 4106
It depends how it's defined - it's often really misrepresented. I don't find the biological stuff to do with Intelligent Design convincing (e.g. Behe), but if you allow a broader definition (e.g. including fine tuning) then I think it's reasonably persuasive.

Yeah, Intelligent Design as a movement is something that's associated with the "science" put forward by people like Behe, Dembski, Meyer, etc - so, things like irreducible complexity and the cambrian explosion - rather than with general thoughts about an intelligent designer, I think. As far as I'm aware, fine tuning is usually thought of as something quite separate.
Original post by marille
Yeah, Intelligent Design as a movement is something that's associated with the "science" put forward by people like Behe, Dembski, Meyer, etc - so, things like irreducible complexity and the cambrian explosion - rather than with general thoughts about an intelligent designer, I think. As far as I'm aware, fine tuning is usually thought of as something quite separate.

I agree, the literature can be quite ambiguous. Particularly since e.g. Dembski and Behe, though often focussing on the biological stuff (particularly Behe), both often rely on fine tuning - Dembski's chapter in "God and Design" (http://www.amazon.com/God-Design-Teleological-Argument-Science/dp/0415263441/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306583512&sr=8-1 - definitely recommended, has contributions from Behe, Robin Collins, Conway Morris, Craig, Paul Davies, Dembski, John Leslie, Tim McGrew, DH Mellor, Ken Miller, Martin Rees, Michael Ruse, Swinburne, van Inwagen... i.e. everyone), for example, is dedicated primarily to fine tuning. I find most of the discussion around it too caricaturistic, if I'm honest. It's not creationism (many ID proponents are evolutionists, even the biological ID proponents), and it can be said to have some ignored force in some respects. Though I'm personally unconvinced of the biological stuff, I think people are usually unfair in their representation and analysis of it.
*subs*
Original post by Medicine Man
*subs*

*welcomes* :ahee:
Original post by Medicine Man
*subs*

:hello:
Revelation 19:6-9 SICK! :smile:
Reply 4112
I agree, the literature can be quite ambiguous. Particularly since e.g. Dembski and Behe, though often focussing on the biological stuff (particularly Behe), both often rely on fine tuning - Dembski's chapter in "God and Design" (http://www.amazon.com/God-Design-Teleological-Argument-Science/dp/0415263441/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306583512&sr=8-1 - definitely recommended, has contributions from Behe, Robin Collins, Conway Morris, Craig, Paul Davies, Dembski, John Leslie, Tim McGrew, DH Mellor, Ken Miller, Martin Rees, Michael Ruse, Swinburne, van Inwagen... i.e. everyone), for example, is dedicated primarily to fine tuning. I find most of the discussion around it too caricaturistic, if I'm honest. It's not creationism (many ID proponents are evolutionists, even the biological ID proponents), and it can be said to have some ignored force in some respects. Though I'm personally unconvinced of the biological stuff, I think people are usually unfair in their representation and analysis of it.

Doesn't that depend on how you define creationism? Certainly, it's not Young Earth Creationism, but if we consider creationism to be the assertion of a religious doctrine of creation as a priority over the (necessarily) methodologically naturalistic assumptions of science, then it undeniably is...? I don't mind musing over the concept of an intelligent designer as a theological reflection, but I do think it's a bit underhanded of most of the main ID proponents to put forward the theory as an unbiased scientific attempt - quite apart from the fact that the biological stuff is unconvincing, as you said, a more fundamental issue is surely that it presents gaps in scientific theories as evidence for an empirically unverifiable designer when such gaps are filled all the time (so, entirely missing the point of scientific endeavour).

Either way, I assume the lack of responses in this thread (other than yours :p: ) implies that it hasn't made as much of an impact over here as it has done in the States.

Fine tuning sounds interesting, though, because it does seem to be different. It's not looking at supposed faults in the current scientific understanding, as far as I'm aware, but considering the implications of such an understanding. Shall have a look at that book. : )
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary
:frown: - I'm a Christian, honest. Ask GEG :smile:

I think we're going to need a video of your baptism to confirm...
Original post by dreiviergrenadier
I think we're going to need a video of your baptism to confirm...

Nah, I want the confirmation certificate :lol:
I don't remember getting a confirmation certificate :ninja:

:getmecoat:

Greetings from Boston USA btw, everyone :hello:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I don't remember getting a confirmation certificate :ninja:

:getmecoat:

Greetings from Boston USA btw, everyone :hello:

Neither did I, as I've only ever been dedicated and baptised.

Where abouts in Boston have you been? Have you found the big fountain place?
Original post by marille
Doesn't that depend on how you define creationism? Certainly, it's not Young Earth Creationism, but if we consider creationism to be the assertion of a religious doctrine of creation as a priority over the (necessarily) methodologically naturalistic assumptions of science, then it undeniably is...? I don't mind musing over the concept of an intelligent designer as a theological reflection, but I do think it's a bit underhanded of most of the main ID proponents to put forward the theory as an unbiased scientific attempt - quite apart from the fact that the biological stuff is unconvincing, as you said, a more fundamental issue is surely that it presents gaps in scientific theories as evidence for an empirically unverifiable designer when such gaps are filled all the time (so, entirely missing the point of scientific endeavour).

Either way, I assume the lack of responses in this thread (other than yours :p: ) implies that it hasn't made as much of an impact over here as it has done in the States.

Fine tuning sounds interesting, though, because it does seem to be different. It's not looking at supposed faults in the current scientific understanding, as far as I'm aware, but considering the implications of such an understanding. Shall have a look at that book. : )

Sure; I meant more the politically charged, pejorative 'creationism' :tongue:
The 'scientific' aspect is ambiguous, too - I think it depends a lot on how one understands science. If one restricts 'science' to regularities within the universe, then the biological arguments are extra-scientific in that they seem to propose that normal scientific regularities cannot account for life; yet they still present life as an observation which constitutes a posteriori evidence for a designer, so if one includes all evidence-based thinking in science, then it could be argued that it's scientific. That said, if one includes all evidentialism in science, one would have to include half of the philosophy of religion, which would be really weird. So I'm going for the former definition.

I think the "God of the gaps" criticism is really misleading too, though. All explanations seek to fill a gap in knowledge - that's the whole point of them. It's not enough, as many seem to think, to reject an explanation on the grounds that it's simply filling a gap in scientific knowledge. And so it doesn't seem to me that the problem with biological ID is that it's filling in gaps - it's that proposing a designer, in most of their instances, doesn't really have much more explanatory power than no designer. If God's going to use evolution to create life (as many ID proponents concede), it doesn't seem particularly likely that he'd make evolution so inefficient as to have to step in and tweak it every now and then to make humans (and, of course, the other problem is that most of the gaps that have been filled by a designer have in turn been filled by normal scientific explanation, and the remaining irreducibly complex phenomena do not seem to be conceptually different to these previously-thought irreducibly complex things).
Original post by marille

The ID work of Behe and Dembski (irreducible complexity and specified complexity respectively) was destroyed as soon as it was published. Neither argument has any merit whatsoever. Most scientists (and the American judicial system) consider ID to be dressed up creationism. It's pseudoscience. nothing more.
Sure; I meant more the politically charged, pejorative 'creationism' :tongue:
The 'scientific' aspect is ambiguous, too - I think it depends a lot on how one understands science. If one restricts 'science' to regularities within the universe, then the biological arguments are extra-scientific in that they seem to propose that normal scientific regularities cannot account for life; yet they still present life as an observation which constitutes a posteriori evidence for a designer, so if one includes all evidence-based thinking in science, then it could be argued that it's scientific. That said, if one includes all evidentialism in science, one would have to include half of the philosophy of religion, which would be really weird. So I'm going for the former definition.

Well, by the definition of science Behe gave in the Dover trial in an attempt to qualify ID, astrology also qualified as science. So the former definition is probably safer.

Latest

Trending

Trending