TSR Christian Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
Lantana
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by IPlayThePiccolo)
Ok. So Jesus = God = Holy Spirit right? Jesus is 100% human but at the same time He is God incarnate. If God planned for Jesus to die, isn't that like God killing himself?
That makes more sense. I don't think God killed himself, but yes I did think he knew the outcome of his actions. Jesus didn't actively go and hang himself, but then he didn't stop the Romans crucifying him like he could have done, thus he died. But at the same time God didn't die and hence the wonderful mind-bending ness that is the Trinity.
IPlayThePiccolo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lantana)
That makes more sense. I don't think God killed himself, but yes I did think he knew the outcome of his actions. Jesus didn't actively go and hang himself, but then he didn't stop the Romans crucifying him like he could have done, thus he died. But at the same time God didn't die and hence the wonderful mind-bending ness that is the Trinity.
Ah the Trinity... ever confusing
JB Johnstone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by IPlayThePiccolo)
Ah the Trinity... ever confusing
I like the fact that we cannot understand it, makes God seem even more wonderful.
Isaiah 55, where's He's like "my ways are higher than your ways" and whatnot.
JB Johnstone
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
God is so ridiculously good.
So Sunday night I was pouring my heart out to Him, begging Him to fulfil His promises and to provide for our family financially. Then on Monday morning I got a call from the cafe where I really wanted to work but was told they didn't have any need for me asking me to come in because someone called in sick or something.
Anyway, the job stuck and I'm working a few hours a day for a decent enough rate.

If people could please pray that God would provide for my family as a whole, that'd be great. My dad has been unemployed for 18 months and it is becoming increasingly difficult to even eat. Lol. God is good though, I know He will look after us all.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JB Johnstone)
So Sunday night I was pouring my heart out to Him, begging Him to fulfil His promises and to provide for our family financially. Then on Monday morning I got a call from the cafe where I really wanted to work but was told they didn't have any need for me asking me to come in because someone called in sick or something.
Anyway, the job stuck and I'm working a few hours a day for a decent enough rate.

If people could please pray that God would provide for my family as a whole, that'd be great. My dad has been unemployed for 18 months and it is becoming increasingly difficult to even eat. Lol. God is good though, I know He will look after us all.
I've prayed for you. Sorry to hear things are so tough at the moment, though yay about this job
rainbowbex
Badges: 14
Report 7 years ago
Please pray I make it through these exams. My body is going mad atm, my hormones are all over the place. I'm wanting to sleep 12hrs a night (not possible with exams) and have struggled to get awake before midday. I have to leave my flat at about quarterpast 8 tomorrow. (and have gotten up early enough before that to last min revise etc.

Thanks x
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rainbowbex)
Please pray I make it through these exams. My body is going mad atm, my hormones are all over the place. I'm wanting to sleep 12hrs a night (not possible with exams) and have struggled to get awake before midday. I have to leave my flat at about quarterpast 8 tomorrow. (and have gotten up early enough before that to last min revise etc.

Thanks x
You poor thing :hugs: I've prayed for you and will keep my fingers crossed tomorrow

I have to wake up early too, for an EEG to see if my brain's working as it should
mevidek
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Thanks x
Don't worry - everything will be alright! God is looking over each of us, and wants us to have the best possible! You will do well in your exams, and hormones well, let's not go there, but believe you me, everything will be fine!
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Prayed! I know God got me my job when I needed it, and He provide for you too!

Thanks x
Prayer sent! Will cross fingers for exams too!
rainbowbex
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
You poor thing :hugs: I've prayed for you and will keep my fingers crossed tomorrow

I have to wake up early too, for an EEG to see if my brain's working as it should
Thank you. I'm feeling better again. have 14 more lectures to do. Revision is so hard when you're feeling crabby! I hope your EEG goes well! xx
(Original post by mevidek)
Don't worry - everything will be alright! God is looking over each of us, and wants us to have the best possible! You will do well in your exams, and hormones well, let's not go there, but believe you me, everything will be fine!
lol! as a bloke you're unlikely to wanna go there. but hormones are so important (I'm battling an endo/repro module)
(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
Prayer sent! Will cross fingers for exams too!
thank you everyone, really appreciate it.
rainbowbex
Report 7 years ago
Right, Exam time. T-1hr(ish) cycling to the exam hall. Sitting the exam, and then... back home for more revision!
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Right, Exam time. T-1hr(ish) cycling to the exam hall. Sitting the exam, and then... back home for more revision!
Remember, whatever you get it's God's plan!
rainbowbex
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
Remember, whatever you get it's God's plan!
I'm just hoping to pass. My raw score should be over 50, but depends if they shiggle it.

20days to results!
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm just hoping to pass. My raw score should be over 50, but depends if they shiggle it.

20days to results!
Not long to wait! I'm still waiting for final result, and it's the result I care most about!
JB Johnstone
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For all those asking questions about the Trinity, I highly recommend this sermon from Mars Hill Church in America.
http://www.marshillchurch.org/media/...trinity-god-is
One of the best teachers I know. I haven't watched all of this sermon, but the first half hour is really good. He goes over some of the common questions, some of the scripture supporting the deity of Christ and the Holy Spirit, scripture supporting the Trinity.
rainbowbex
Report 7 years ago
For all those asking questions about the Trinity, I highly recommend this sermon from Mars Hill Church in America.
http://www.marshillchurch.org/media/...trinity-god-is
One of the best teachers I know. I haven't watched all of this sermon, but the first half hour is really good. He goes over some of the common questions, some of the scripture supporting the deity of Christ and the Holy Spirit, scripture supporting the Trinity.
Another Mark Driscol fan? Some mates of mine in bristol do 'surmondays' where they listen to one each week. x
JB Johnstone
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Another Mark Driscol fan? Some mates of mine in bristol do 'surmondays' where they listen to one each week. x
Haha. That is amazing.
At Bible college it was all about John Piper - my room would have Piper nights where we just sit in and eat pizza and watch Piper. Had to kind of do it in secret though, Piper's reformed but the college wasn't.

I like Driscoll a lot also. I think he tries too hard to be funny, so I sometimes have to check my heart when I watch him, to see whether I'm watching him to have a laugh or to actually grow in the LORD.
dreiviergrenadier
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Does no-one else just get a little bit fed up of Mark Driscoll talking about how 'real' men drive trucks, work out and kill things?
JB Johnstone
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dreiviergrenadier)
Does no-one else just get a little bit fed up of Mark Driscoll talking about how 'real' men drive trucks, work out and kill things?
You do know he's not being serious, right? He likes to take digs at guys a lot because that's what most of his church's population is.
I highly recommend his sermon in Marriage and Men. This was the first thing I watched of his, all the guys at bible college were really blessed by it.
http://www.marshillchurch.org/media/...rriage-and-men
Calumcalum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dreiviergrenadier)
Yeah, I think he's really refreshing in his passionate and in some ways puritanical approach to Christian living (i.e. I think a lot of pastors need to get more straight with their congregation about the right way to live, especially for young people), but sometimes he goes way too far, and other times his theology is just dodgy...

(And this criticism of his male-female understanding is from someone who is himself a complementarian)

Also, talking to people on his Facebook statuses makes me despair.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (36)
97.3%
No (1)
2.7%

Watched Threads