Announcements
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    Hi.
    long time. you ok? How were exams? x

(Original post by rainbowbex)
    long time. you ok? How were exams? x
    Yeah I'm feeling pretty poey right now thank you but I don't have much to do right now

I think most of my exams went pretty well apart from my first one because I had the worst headache but we'll see what happens. There is still a hope of me getting a 1st (it's all I want tbh ) this year

How are you? How have you beeeen?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by randdom)
    We are getting married on the 22nd of October

Dress, reception venue, service plan, rings and photographer are sorted.

Next plan we have to sen the invitations (we already have them) and get a florist
    amazing! I just got an email saying my Bride has brought her dress and I've got to get my bridesmaids jobby from here

whether I like it or not....
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Yeah I'm feeling pretty poey right now thank you but I don't have much to do right now

I think most of my exams went pretty well apart from my first one because I had the worst headache but we'll see what happens. There is still a hope of me getting a 1st (it's all I want tbh ) this year

How are you? How have you beeeen?
    poey? I don't know the meaning of this word! I'm home... but I miss Bristol already, and had my mother tell me this wasn't my home any more :/ *****.

I'm glad to hear it! I know I've passed over 3/5 just waiting for the results of this weeks which hopefully i;ll get on the 30th.

How's life? summer plans? x

poey? I don't know the meaning of this word! I'm home... but I miss Bristol already, and had my mother tell me this wasn't my home any more :/ *****.

I'm glad to hear it! I know I've passed over 3/5 just waiting for the results of this weeks which hopefully i;ll get on the 30th.

How's life? summer plans? x
    poey means essentially "extremely good" [Source: Urban Dictionary]

:/ I was at home this week and it didn't feel good compared to here, so I came back I kind of want to stay here for the summer, but my friends are at home lol

Ooh, the 30th! Well, I hope you your results are good

Well at the moment it's a bit... empty. I don't have much to do atm apart from spam and maybe go to the museum. I might just get on a bus and go around the city for the day, but when it's sunny!

Anyway. Summer. Chillin' with church people (the aforementioned friends), working on some languages and bass (the things I would do to a 5-string :coma:), visiting my cousins (), and I have applied for a transcription job (because I just love typing :awesome: :cyber: :nothing:) but I want something that will get me out of the house, if I stay at home for the summer.

What are your plans? I noticed something about a wedding? :eyebrow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Sorry to hear that your parents are ill - have prayed - and that you had a minor breakdown :jumphug: I'm glad you were able to confide in your tutors and that things are looking up. Some of the priest tutors sounded awesome from what I heard. Do you know Fr Nick King? I love him :love:
    He's my spiritual director! : ) He is indeed really lovely. I seem to end up at Campion Hall several times a term for various reasons - clearly I can't get enough of the Jesuits! And yes, priest tutors are gems. I love studying theology...

Thank you for praying. And also, I totally agree with your view of the Bible. It's an incredible source of wisdom and guidance, and definitely a way to communicate with God, but that is only the case due to the Holy Spirit's workings in the lives of the texts' human authors.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by marille)
    He's my spiritual director! : ) He is indeed really lovely. I seem to end up at Campion Hall several times a term for various reasons - clearly I can't get enough of the Jesuits! And yes, priest tutors are gems. I love studying theology...

Thank you for praying. And also, I totally agree with your view of the Bible. It's an incredible source of wisdom and guidance, and definitely a way to communicate with God, but that is only the case due to the Holy Spirit's workings in the lives of the texts' human authors.
    You lucky thing! I wanted to go and talk to him about all the freaky religious stuff that happens to me but was too shy to approach him :o:

Jesuits are awesome :yep:

ReputationRep:
    My favourite Jesuit is Fr. Hugh Thwaites, SJ. The man's totally awesome :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreiviergrenadier)
    No worries, take as long as you like (I recently just replied to someone after over month's delay...)!

I don't mean to be unnecessarily contrary, but I don't think I'm arguing for a different way of looking at Scripture here. We're both commenting on the state of gender relations in the early chapters of Genesis (among other things), taking the view that whatever is there is authoritative.

I see no justification for saying that this idea about gender-relations exists pre-Fall. I don't think it does. Neither does the idea of 'loving leadership' appear to be the meaning of Genesis 3:16 - that expresses domination/subjugation, a power struggle. I don't think that your view is that men should be domineering, I just think that the kind of relationship complentarians often argue for in a marriage is ambiguous. I don't think they can realistically find any Biblical distinction between the kind of submission man and woman should practice. There are some suggestions as to how this works out in practice, but I think these either really don't amount to anything, or they become domineering.
    It is certainly true that the relationship I advocate is 'ambiguous', which explains partially why so many men abused it in the past (e.g. the Victorian era example you referenced earlier). However, to my knowledge, there is no clear distinction between the submissions of men and of women; the only example I know of is the one I referenced earlier in this thread which said that men must submit to God but women must submit to men (in Timothy I believe, which is beyond the times of Genesis). There are some biblical verses which state that husband and wife should temporarily split up if such a rupture due to 'domineering' occurs. Thankfully, women now have rights and can thus counter the tyranny of a minority of men who still adhere to a Fascist regime of marriage.

If you look at the Tenth Commandment, a 'wife' is put in the context of mere property or collections, therefore meaning that she belongs to the husband as a result of godly submission. God created Eve primarily due to the fact that Adam was lonely in Genesis 2:18. Both have a role in ruling the earth but they each have a different role. I do not see how 'equality' demands equality role too? Animals hardly have immense quarrels over gender roles; we human beings seem to do so as we are naturally so conscientious of our security and ambitions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    My favourite Jesuit is Fr. Hugh Thwaites, SJ. The man's totally awesome :awesome:
    What do the activities of Jesuits comprise these days?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Can I have some extra prayers over the next few days please? I'm trying to write out my experiences for a priest I'm seeing on Wednesday but there's a mental block that I need to get rid of first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex-jc123)
    What do the activities of Jesuits comprise these days?

Good question. I know that they run universities abroad (and I know that they run an Oxford College), they do huge amounts of missionary work (especially in Asia and Africa), they have schools all over the world, They have some parishes. Pretty much everything in all honesty, they're colloquially known as God's Marines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Can I have some extra prayers over the next few days please? I'm trying to write out my experiences for a priest I'm seeing on Wednesday but there's a mental block that I need to get rid of first
    Praying! Is there anyone you can try talking about it to out loud? Sometimes conversations can help you vocalise things that are getting stuck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    Good question. I know that they run universities abroad (and I know that they run an Oxford College), they do huge amounts of missionary work (especially in Asia and Africa), they have schools all over the world, They have some parishes. Pretty much everything in all honesty, they're colloquially known as God's Marines.
    Ah, carefully adhering to St Paul's preaching that we should deliver the Gospel to the 'uttermost'. Does Douai College in France still have links to the Jesuits?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by marille)
    Praying! Is there anyone you can try talking about it to out loud? Sometimes conversations can help you vocalise things that are getting stuck.
    Thanks It's difficult for me to talk about, hence why I'd rather write it down for this priest. A lovely Christian friend has offered to talk it through on Skype if necessary
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    poey means essentially "extremely good" [Source: Urban Dictionary]
    Oh right, thought it was like 'poo-ey' and thought wtf!
    :/ I was at home this week and it didn't feel good compared to Brislol, so I came back I kind of want to stay here for the summer, but my friends are at home lol
    I miss bristol already. don't really wanna be home.
    Ooh, the 30th! Well, I hope you your results are good

Well at the moment it's a bit... empty. I don't have much to do atm apart from spam and maybe go to the museum. I might just get on a bus and go around Bristol for the day, but when it's sunny!
    Thanks! Yeah, that's why I'm at home at present.
    Anyway. Summer. Chillin' with church people (the aforementioned friends), working on some languages and bass (the things I would do to a 5-string :coma:), visiting my cousins (), and I have applied for a transcription job (because I just love typing :awesome: :cyber: :nothing:) but I want something that will get me out of the house, if I stay at home for the summer.
    Sounds good, at the end of the hols I'll hit up momentum/greenbelt. Wantt o takes some times off but then get back to work :/ (and diet and exercise!)
    What are your plans? I noticed something about a wedding? :eyebrow:
    Friend is getting married next summerrr!

Oh right, thought it was like 'poo-ey' and thought wtf!

I miss bristol already. don't really wanna be home.

Thanks! Yeah, that's why I'm at home at present.

Sounds good, at the end of the hols I'll hit up momentum/greenbelt. Wantt o takes some times off but then get back to work :/ (and diet and exercise!)

Friend is getting married next summerrr!
    :giggle: I envisaged such confusion!

Ah, why don't you want to be home? Is your bed too small? That's certainly what I felt.

skeen, I totally forgot about those things lol, but I don't think I'll be able to go without a source of pizza. Work? As in, employment work? :eek:

Next summer?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex-jc123)
    It is certainly true that the relationship I advocate is 'ambiguous', which explains partially why so many men abused it in the past (e.g. the Victorian era example you referenced earlier). However, to my knowledge, there is no clear distinction between the submissions of men and of women; the only example I know of is the one I referenced earlier in this thread which said that men must submit to God but women must submit to men (in Timothy I believe, which is beyond the times of Genesis). There are some biblical verses which state that husband and wife should temporarily split up if such a rupture due to 'domineering' occurs. Thankfully, women now have rights and can thus counter the tyranny of a minority of men who still adhere to a Fascist regime of marriage.

If you look at the Tenth Commandment, a 'wife' is put in the context of mere property or collections, therefore meaning that she belongs to the husband as a result of godly submission. God created Eve primarily due to the fact that Adam was lonely in Genesis 2:18. Both have a role in ruling the earth but they each have a different role. I do not see how 'equality' demands equality role too? Animals hardly have immense quarrels over gender roles; we human beings seem to do so as we are naturally so conscientious of our security and ambitions.
    But this vagueness is very significant. If we cannot find any real distinction between the submission of a wife and a husband, then we can't find any ground for claiming what she ought to be submitting to his leadership. I think you're misremembering the quote (I assume you mean from 1 Corinthians 11), it does not say that 'men must submit to God but women must submit to men'. It talks about glory and headship (the passage is about how to worship), and I do not see how you can infer complementarian ideas of marriage from this.

What verse(s) do you mean for 'domineering'?

As for the 10 Commandments, I think we need to be very careful. If you think this shows that the wife is property, you cannot jump from this to godly submission. Property means ownership - this is not a biblical view of wifeliness. I think it's wrong to assume that it's a list of property - that's a mistake that the New Athiests seem to make to bash religion. In a shop today, I saw an advert for a drink telling people to enjoy it with 'with lime, something else and friends'. It's clear that 'friends' here does not mean we should cut up our friends and put them in our drink. It would be a huge mistake to assume this. Likewise, I see no reason to assume that simply because we cannot covet property, everything we can covet must be property. We already know, from our wider biblical knowledge, that the rights a man has over his slave are vastly different from those he has over his house, so we cannot conclude that a wife is somehow 'owned' or 'controlled' by her husband.

Eve's creation also doesn't imply a difference in roles. Adam was found unable to do his role on his own, because he was lonely. Therefore, Eve was created to share his role with him. This is equality of worth and role.

ReputationRep:
    lol
    You a fan?

(Original post by dreiviergrenadier)
    You a fan?
    :laugh: I can't bring myself to listen to any of it yet, but the thought of Christian grime did make me chuckle.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2011
Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.