Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Christian Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of 6 day creation. Could somebody explain it to me in a bit more detail?

ReputationRep:
    Mmmm..ok. What; 6 24hr days on the presumption that days were then defined as a unit consisting of 24hrs lasting 60mins each?
    I'm not sure how taking six days figuratively, as in 6 lapses of time, eg 6 years..6 thousand years...would contradict anything Genesis then went on to say about the origin of sin and death.
    Also.. I think it important to look at Man's development and God's dealings with him as slightly different (at the very least) to the development of beasts in general.

ReputationRep:
    I seem to recall touching on this when we were discussing evolution a few pages back..?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I would go with 6 24-hour days. If one was going to say they were longer periods of time, presumably that would be in order to accommodate a belief that the world was as old as scientific orthodoxy claims. In that case, each day would have to equal a couple of billion years which is crazy if you then take the things that happened on each day literally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philjw)
    Yeah, I would go with 6 24-hour days. If one was going to say they were longer periods of time, presumably that would be in order to accommodate a belief that the world was as old as scientific orthodoxy claims. In that case, each day would have to equal a couple of billion years which is crazy if you then take the things that happened on each day literally.
    I'll have to disagree with you on this one.
    To start with.. its not IN ORDER TO ACCOMMODATE science that I think we should be willing to consider various possibilities. I'm not saying I 100% think that's how it was, but I'm hesitant to be dogmatic about it. Also, I think the Bible is crystal clear about the important stuff. I'm not saying this ISN'T important, but I am saying that considering figurative meanings to some issues like this one certainly doesn't discount or undermine any of the important stuff.
    Lol.. I don't think that was worded brilliantly well Shout if I need to make myself clearer...
    One of the things I really enjoy about the whole thing (and I'm really not being fluffy or smarmy) is the way that God really does 'choose the foolish things to overcome the wise'. There are so many things that we become so fixed on and miss the greater picture. I find it fascinating to think around how God went about fabricating the world, but I'm hesitant to presume I know for a fact how it was.

ReputationRep:
    well, I said presumably

Though from my own experience the people I know who view it as "a long period of time" do so in order to accommodate some form of evolution. I wouldn't attach the same level of importance to believing in 6-day creation as I would to, say, the Trinity or the resurrection of Christ, though. I have a definite belief on creation but that doesn't mean I think those who disagree are not Christians

ReputationRep:
    well, I said presumably

Though from my own experience the people I know who view it as "a long period of time" do so in order to accommodate some form of evolution. I wouldn't attach the same level of importance to believing in 6-day creation as I would to, say, the Trinity or the resurrection of Christ, though. I have a definite belief on creation but that doesn't mean I think those who disagree are not Christians
    Lol.. well I'm glad I have not been branded a heretic! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm thinking about joining this society, just thought I'd send a few messages first, get to know it and that.
    I wouldn't say I'm a christian as yet, this sounds really cheesy, but I went to do voluntary work last summer with some christian friends of mine to Argentina and the experience was totally mind blowing. Since then I have been considering the whole idea of christianity and have gone to church a couple of times but didn't really feel like I was fitting in y'know? So now I don't really know where to go from here - I think I'll just wait until I get to uni and think about it then, but what do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    I think that's fantastic! I'm really glad you met some cool christians. Do you know any friends that you 'click' with that are christians? That is probably the best starting place for you; you'll be able to take it at your pace and somebody who you get on with will answer your questions, and encourage you.
    If you have any questions, I'm sure everybody on this thread would be happy to answer or discuss them, and if you're embarrassed please feel more than welcome to PM me.. I really don't mind!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply, I still keep in contact with a lot of the people I went away with but I don't get to see them much. I find it a really tricky subject to bring up and especially to my non-christian friends it would just be awkward for me to just turn up and say "hey I'm a christian now." Thats why I thought maybe finding people I could talk to on here would just be a good idea! Especially seeing how people are dealing with moving to uni and how other people my own age live their lives as a christian. So yeh I might well start buggin evryone here!!

ReputationRep:
    Lol! Bug away!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Superted,

I'm interested by what you said about your experience away on this volunteer project - was that something that first interested you in Christianity, or was it that you already knew about Christianity but something on the trip made you think differently about where you personally are with God?

I know that personally I was someone who went to church for a long time before ever realising that I wasn't a Christian by default and that I actually had to come to Christ in repentance for myself. I too had an experience that kind of opened my eyes to my not being a Christian, but it was something a preacher said rather than anything as exciting as going to Argentina!

ReputationRep:
    Religion really is a load of mince, it really is, you would think in this day and age people would have wisened up to the fact their is no GOD.

ReputationRep:
    bigrico doesn't see God in religion (man's works) so he wrongly concludes there is no God.

ReputationRep:
    There's definitely an enormous difference between the two...

ReputationRep:
    But then, unless we live a different message, people will continue to have preconceived ideas about who God is and what christianity is, based on the accumalation of religion, dogma and tradition over the centuries...

ReputationRep:
    it doesn't take much to ruin people's perception of christianity. just the da vinci code will do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sitting_duck)
    it doesn't take much to ruin people's perception of christianity. just the da vinci code will do.
    This is true. Its quite sad; so few people really think things through for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever seen God, or Jesus for that matter, How come Christians dont burn witches anymore, is it okay to wear a condom, if Adam & Eve were the first people on the planet , were they alive before the dinosaurs?If their really is such a GOD then he must be pretty vain by requiring everyone to worship him and go to church ect!

Come on people, its a load of pish, all religion is, it cause more problems than it solves, they all state love thy neighbour but when crunch time comes they are all quite happy to go to war.crusades ect.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Superted,

I'm interested by what you said about your experience away on this volunteer project - was that something that first interested you in Christianity, or was it that you already knew about Christianity but something on the trip made you think differently about where you personally are with God?

I know that personally I was someone who went to church for a long time before ever realising that I wasn't a Christian by default and that I actually had to come to Christ in repentance for myself. I too had an experience that kind of opened my eyes to my not being a Christian, but it was something a preacher said rather than anything as exciting as going to Argentina!
    No, my old chemistry teacher in school goes out to different projects in Argentina every summer with LatinLink (a christian group) and he decided to make a team with people he knew and I was lucky enough to be picked to go. I knew that I was going through the organisation and with leaders part of Latinlink but that was my only connection to christianity.
    I had gone to church right through until I was twelve but was kinda scared away by the commitment of confirmation
    When I was in Argentina the owners of the orphanage I stayed at talked to us a lot and the children there were just so amazing and they put all their hope of continued support and funding for the home in God and they were just...really awesome people! One night I was crying for hours!! man, really shouldn't just go blurtin all this out lol! Anyway thats me story!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.