TSR Christian Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
Big McG
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
im goin out to India to set up links between the school im leaving and an orphanage, there are thousands of children here in the Tamell region who have been found by this amasing christian man Jayrajh i cant wait to go out there, our reverend went out last year and was so touched he neerly stayed, im young and hope i can have that tipe of connection to a place. though im affraid and apprihensive of things i might encounter.
philjw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by superted2708)
No, my old chemistry teacher in school goes out to different projects in Argentina every summer with LatinLink (a christian group) and he decided to make a team with people he knew and I was lucky enough to be picked to go. I knew that I was going through the organisation and with leaders part of Latinlink but that was my only connection to christianity.
I had gone to church right through until I was twelve but was kinda scared away by the commitment of confirmation
When I was in Argentina the owners of the orphanage I stayed at talked to us a lot and the children there were just so amazing and they put all their hope of continued support and funding for the home in God and they were just...really awesome people! One night I was crying for hours!! man, really shouldn't just go blurtin all this out lol! Anyway thats me story!
Ah, I know Latin Link A girl from my church went to Peru with them a few years ago. Sounds like it was a really spiritual experience, even if you still have questions about God and faith and things like that. If you want to PM me with any questions you have about Christianity, I'll do my best to answer them if you'd like.
superted2708
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Thanks guys if I think of any questions I'd like to discuss I know where to come! Going to Peru sounds like such a good experience and you really should have nothing to worry about, it might be a culture shock but I'm sure you'll get more out of it than you can imagine...not to set your standards to high!!
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by bigrico)
Has anyone ever seen God, or Jesus for that matter,
I see him working through me daily, cos he indwells me by His Spirit, as he said he would (John 14v20). Soon, every eye will see his return.
How come Christians dont burn witches anymore,
They never did in the firstplace, the religion you refer to isn't true christianity.

is it okay to wear a condom,
Within marriage yes.

if Adam & Eve were the first people on the planet , were they alive before the dinosaurs?
Dinosaurs were created on days 5 & 6, just before Adam & Eve. That's why we have all these legends, stories and paintings/carvings etc of dinosaurs or "dragons"

If their really is such a GOD then he must be pretty vain by requiring everyone to worship him and go to church ect!
No vainer that a father & mother wanting their children to appreciate their good intentions for them.

Come on people, its a load of pish, all religion is, it cause more problems than it solves, they all state love thy neighbour but when crunch time comes they are all quite happy to go to war.crusades ect.
Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Rico - apart from recognising that man's religion is ineffective, you have no appreciation of God's way.
A Shining Light
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by NJA)
I see him working through me daily, cos he indwells me by His Spirit, as he said he would (John 14v20). Soon, every eye will see his return.
They never did in the firstplace, the religion you refer to isn't true christianity.

Within marriage yes.

Dinosaurs were created on days 5 & 6, just before Adam & Eve. That's why we have all these legends, stories and paintings/carvings etc of dinosaurs or "dragons"

No vainer that a father & mother wanting their children to appreciate their good intentions for them.

Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Rico - apart from recognising that man's religion is ineffective, you have no appreciation of God's way.
Yeah I agree with all that. I find it so sad that people can be so deceived about what Christianity is really about, especially when it puts off non-Christians who might actually want to be Christians if they really knew what Christianity & God is like. I've been a Christian since I was 7, & though I've had my ups & downs in my faith & I've often struggle (& still do) I've never been able to doubt the existence of God. Y'know why? 'Cause God has been so real to me & I've had some amazing experiences with Him & I just know that it was God. It's kinda something that you only realise when you experience it for yourself.

Superted, we're here for you if you want questions answered, any prayer, etc. Though none of us can say we know all the answers, I know people on here will do the best we can to help. If you're not fitting in at church, could it be that you need to go to a different church? Although since you're going to uni, it may be an idea to wait till then, as you say. & join the Christian Union at uni- it may help you find Christian friends. I've got a few Christian friends that have really helped me in my Christian 'walk' (& other things too) & I hope you find good Christian friends too.

God bless,
Bekki.
-doll
Report 12 years ago
hey!! i just noticed ive been accepted!! into the X-soc crew i mean!! bring it on. :cool: :rolleyes:
and i just saw... LATIN LINK!! yeah - thats gonna be me!! wohoo.
the discussions look interesting but i'll be gettin into them in about a week, cos then im free from exams, , just thought id say that. but thanks for accepting me guys!!
superted2708
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Thanks Bekki, like I keep saying thanks all you guys for being so supportive! It really is helping me to think about things more and put things into perspective!
So is anyone else visiting any exotic countries this summer? I would recomend Latin Link to anyone - everyone is sooo nice and such good people!!
Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Big McG)
im goin out to India to set up links between the school im leaving and an orphanage, there are thousands of children here in the Tamell region who have been found by this amasing christian man Jayrajh i cant wait to go out there, our reverend went out last year and was so touched he neerly stayed, im young and hope i can have that tipe of connection to a place. though im affraid and apprihensive of things i might encounter.
Oh wow! I also went to orphanages in the Tamil region in India a few years ago! Cool! It was quite an experience:cool:
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Has anyone ever seen God, or Jesus for that matter, How come Christians dont burn witches anymore, is it okay to wear a condom, if Adam & Eve were the first people on the planet , were they alive before the dinosaurs?If their really is such a GOD then he must be pretty vain by requiring everyone to worship him and go to church ect!

Come on people, its a load of pish, all religion is, it cause more problems than it solves, they all state love thy neighbour but when crunch time comes they are all quite happy to go to war.crusades ect.
I've experienced God as a person in my life. Saying he doesn't exist is like me telling you your parents aren't real.
Wearing a condom isn't wrong. Its pretty sensible in many situations. Sleeping around is a bit of a no brainer. I come from South Africa (I dare you to argue - lol!) Christianity isn't about rules. Its a tangible relationship with God that turns your life inside out, and the principles God puts in place are there because we're happier when we follow them, and they stop us screwing our lives up.
Worship is an automatic response from the heart when you experience how incredible God is..it is such a powerful experience that you cannot help but respond from the deepest chord in your being. Going to church by God's definition does not have to mean going to a meeting in a building. The bible says that church is anywhere where two or more people get together because they have God in common. So that basically means hanging out with my friends and encouraging eachother, which one tends to want to do anyway.
Burn witches? War? Crusades? Dude!:confused: What century are you living in? Do you actually know any modern day christians? I think that's a fair question. Forgive me if I jump to conclusions, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but it really sounds as if you haven't actually met any passionate Christians before, or chatted to them about how they experience life.

As NJA said, none of these things have anything to do with Christianity. The word Christian means 'follower of Christ', and there is nothing Christlike about any human being taking arrogant enough to take judgement into their own hands and use it as an excuse to abuse anybody else. There is also absolutely no excuse for using God as an excuse to have fights with other people. None of these things are christian.
bigrico
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You see this is what humours me greatly about Christians, if you dont have an answer you just quote parts of the bible, a book thats been altered and re-written so many times, it's almost like a Harry Potter story.

George W Bush, a born again Christian, now please dont tell me what he has been up to is for the good of humanity, what with his war on the world and destroying the planet and all.

God - I asked the question, has anyone ever seen him, but no all you get is, he is within me, he is all around us all the usual nonsense, but nope no-one has ever seen him, I mean really what does he look like, does he have a face.

Oh and here is my favourite, in the eyes of God(wherever they are) aha so he must have a face if he has eyes, if you are not christened you will go to hell, well thats not very nice is it, so he is willing to send billions of people to hell, nasty character this GOD chap, well here is one man that stands up and says
" I would rather eat my own faeces than get Christened".

As for the Adam & Eve story, they were made pretty soon after the earth was made apparently, so either the human race developed at a ridiculously slow rate compared to last few thousand years, the story is a load of pish or the Earth is about 10 billion years younger than scientists believe.

Next we have Jesus, a white man, even though he comes from the middle East, this guy is really something he can turn a little bit of food into a lot of food so that the starving people can all grab a bite to eat.
Not only that but he dies and then comes back to life again.
So according to Christians, old Jeebus sorry Jesus is still with us all today, but according to the news programmes on the telly , the entire Continent of Africa is starving(a hell of a lot of Christians) why does he not pull the same trick again, or maybe he cant and never did because he never was.

I will leave you all with one final question.

"There are billions of peoples in this world who do not believe in Christ, do they not get the chance to get into Heaven, or is that reserved for good christians like Mr Bush?"
Big McG
Report 12 years ago
You see this is what humours me greatly about Christians, if you dont have an answer you just quote parts of the bible, a book thats been altered and re-written so many times, it's almost like a Harry Potter story.

George W Bush, a born again Christian, now please dont tell me what he has been up to is for the good of humanity, what with his war on the world and destroying the planet and all.

God - I asked the question, has anyone ever seen him, but no all you get is, he is within me, he is all around us all the usual nonsense, but nope no-one has ever seen him, I mean really what does he look like, does he have a face.

Oh and here is my favourite, in the eyes of God(wherever they are) aha so he must have a face if he has eyes, if you are not christened you will go to hell, well thats not very nice is it, so he is willing to send billions of people to hell, nasty character this GOD chap, well here is one man that stands up and says
" I would rather eat my own faeces than get Christened".

As for the Adam & Eve story, they were made pretty soon after the earth was made apparently, so either the human race developed at a ridiculously slow rate compared to last few thousand years, the story is a load of pish or the Earth is about 10 billion years younger than scientists believe.

Next we have Jesus, a white man, even though he comes from the middle East, this guy is really something he can turn a little bit of food into a lot of food so that the starving people can all grab a bite to eat.
Not only that but he dies and then comes back to life again.
So according to Christians, old Jeebus sorry Jesus is still with us all today, but according to the news programmes on the telly , the entire Continent of Africa is starving(a hell of a lot of Christians) why does he not pull the same trick again, or maybe he cant and never did because he never was.

I will leave you all with one final question.

"There are billions of peoples in this world who do not believe in Christ, do they not get the chance to get into Heaven, or is that reserved for good christians like Mr Bush?"
you are missing the point intirely, firstly the bible has never been re written, there is more historical evidence for Jesus Christ than Julius Cesar, do you doubt that he existed?? the gospel was written within living memory of the people who were there, if it were false the people there at the time would have argued with it and there is no such peer pressure like an angury mob. there are hundreds of manuscripts written by different people who all say exactly the same thing, most non Christians.
as for Bush, if he has truely become a Christian and repented for his sins then yes he will be forgiven. what he has done may not have been great but, and this may supprise you, he wants what is best for the world. you gave a bad example.
Also do you realy have such a small ammount of faith that you need to see him. i hope that one day maybe you will grow up and believe, either through blind faith or through a mirical as, one day we will all meet him and i know all who trust in him will spend eturnity in Heaven.
The Adam and Eve story and much of Genesis (sorry for any offence) was very poetic, it is an illustration to show that God did create the universe not how, i am a Physisist and a Christian, i believe in the big bang theory, and i believe that God was the origonal cause, the designer etc
Jesus wasnt white, that is a modern day depiction. the feeding of the five thousand was a sign towards the real reson he was here, to save us from our sin. he came back to life as proof that there was life after death, when the first person sailed under cape horn (south America) they came back to proove it could be done.
as for Africa and that it would be nieve to think it as a test or punishment, this world is not our true end, our citizenship is of heaven, (sorry a bible quote) and i dont have all the answers as to why (Gods job) but all it takes is trust.
i dont know how God decides who goes into heaven but he is richouse and just.
i hope this clears allot up for you, please send more questions.
superted2708
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Can I just add to that, I don't know the bible all to well but there is one thing I can say. I've been to Africa and America and seen people with no money, no job, no family living in really disastrous living conditions and yet they put all their faith in God and are the happiest people I have ever met. I hardly call that a test, yes they all hope for a better future and millions of people in the west are trying to give it to them. From what I can see having faith isn't about worshipping a person.
And finally why do you come here to argue? There are discussion threads for that.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Bigrico. Why does this make you so angry? Hypothetically if we all did believe a pack of lies, and there was no God, it should have no effect on your life. The things that annoy you about christianity are equally true in several other examples of human beings worldwide. I don't see people ranting on about all the other types of people or groups of people that are linked to monstrous human suffering and arrogance and whatever else. What do you gain by making a point? If God really doesn't exist, why does He get under your skin so much. Why does it annoy you that he asks/expects/says so much stuff, if in fact, he doesn't exist?
Same as BigMcG, I am studying sciences too and if you were genuinely interested, the facts could be discussed. But you don't seem to be interested in a normal objective debate. You haven't answered any of our questions or challenges. You've already made up your mind. Why do you feel the need to express this to everybody? Also, if you don't like Christians, why bother coming onto a society of Christians? I don't get random people coming onto the Fake Plastic Society and dissing Radiohead, even if they strongly dislike Radiohead. One person came onto the disabled thread and dissed disabled people, and got laughed out of town...
You've evidently gone quite a bit out of your way.
bigrico
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I can assure everyone, I am not angry in fact I am quite the opposite.

I thoroughly enjoy the answers you give, absolutely nothing to do with what I asked, just the usual roundabout way of glossing over.

But I, unlike yourselves will answer and that may amaze you, seen as how I dont have to answer to anyone or anything.

The thing that does annoy me and why I feel the need to come on here is because I have Christianity pushed in my face all the time.

I went to the golf course on Sunday afternoon and as I walked up the road, I was approached by a man & his wife who duly informed I should not be doing that on the lords day, I politely informed them I am not Christian to which I was met with an astonishing gaze(I am a white, Scottish male). They replied that because I am a non-believer I will go to hell,
I therefore laughed and told them to piss off.

I went to see the Jerry Springer show at the theatre a couple of months ago and was met by a group of about 30 Christians spouting a load of nonsense of how it was blasphemous and physically getting right in my face.

I kept my cool and refrained from decking them, next time it happens I may not keep my self control.

Look at wars fought over religion, even amongst Christians(Catholics/Protestants) do you not believe if their was no religio, half of these wars would never be fought.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Look at wars fought over religion, even amongst Christians(Catholics/Protestants) do you not believe if their was no religio, half of these wars would never be fought.
I very strongly believe that those very wars in those places (in the context of religious wars) would have been fought even if religion didn't exist, because religion was only the excuse they used to vent their anger and grievancies. Same as religion was exploited as a tool for political control and hoarding of wealth during the Middle Ages and several other phases in history. How these add to your argument, I can't see.

If those people you mention came up to me the way they came up to you, I would have found it hard not to deck them, and prob would have given them words too, if I recovered from my astonishment in time. I would feel heartily ashamed of myself afterwards for retaliating so childishly, but my attitude would have been very similar.
It is irritating, I agree. But this isn't about a bunch of irritating and annoying people (which you get alot of in the world), your starting introduction was a question about God and his existence. That is an entirely different issue than the issue you are addressing. If God exists, then how people behave is irrelevant. He's a completely separate person who cannot be judged by the things that you're frustrated about. Everybody on this thread is frustrated about those things too, I'm sure. And there are so many people on this thread and elsewhere who can tell you from their personal experience that God is gracious, compassionate and forgiving. He gives people free will, and he waits for people to turn to them in their time, he doesn't push himself on them. He wants so much to get involved and to have relationship with us, but unless we open up of our own will, his hands are tied because he made a a commitment and put the relationship first.

Don't behave the same way as those you mentioned by making an enormous preconceived judgement about a huge group of people, or about God. Give people the benefit of the doubt, same as you would like them to give you the benefit of the doubt.
rawkingpunkster
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yay im in
A Shining Light
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
God is perfect but Christians aren't. Though we as Christians should try to be like God it is difficult & takes time, since it can be hard to do the right thing (esp. if you're not sure what the right thing is...).

I can't say I know all the answers but I'll try to answer you as best as I can. Not everything in this world can be seen but we still know it exists. You can't see the wind but you can feel it & see its effects, which is like God. Also, you can't see love & you can't prove its existence. The only way to have proof of love is to experience it. It actually says in the bible (sorry for quoting scripture, lol) that God is love. Now I won't attempt to explain that but what I will say is that only if you experience God for yourself will you know He exists. Now I believe God does have a face & a body but it's not in this dimension/realm but in heaven. & when we go to heaven we will see Him there.

if you are not christened you will go to hell
It don't actually say that in the bible! Actually I don't believe in christening; I believe that we should be baptised instead- it's more biblical.

well thats not very nice is it, so he is willing to send billions of people to hell, nasty character this GOD chap
He's given us a choice of whether to go to heaven or hell & He went through so much so that we do have a choice. Choices have consequences. We could choose to throw the sacrifice He made back in His face but there's a consequence. God doesn't want anyone to go to hell & neither do we. Those Christians that peed you off didn't want you to go to hell but obviously they went about it the wrong way (I bet it put you off instead). I don't wanna be like that but it is hard seeing my non-Christian friends being so ignorant of how great it is to be a Christian.

I've already attempted to discuss this a few times on TSR. I can't be bothered to try again at the moment...

~Bekki~
bigrico
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
According to the Bible, Noah's Ark was a large barge constructed of wood and sealed with bitumen. Its overall dimensions were at least 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high with three interior decks. A "window" appeared to be constructed around the top (Genesis 6:14-16). Incidentally, the overall size of the Ark makes it the largest seagoing vessel known before the 20th century, and its proportions are amazingly similar to the large ocean liners of today.

What about this story? surely you believe this is nonsense, I tell you it must have been some size of ship back in times when ships were not much bigger than canoes, to have held two of every animal which in itself is amazing as animals natural instinct when crowded is to attack each other.

This also raises the question, if as you believe this is true, then why did God save all these animals because throughout they following years Christians have allowed animals to be treated with contempt and cruelty with barely a word spoken from the church.

And what did God have to go through exactly? everyone has hard times in their life, some peoples lives are really tragic.

And also because someone does not believe in God/Jesus/Allah/Moses or whoever does not make them ignorant, I believe it means they have thought about it and decided its a load of nonsense such as myself.

I went to school in the very early 80's, I had to say a prayer every morning, I had to go to church every week(school, not my parents) and the more I sat and listened to the minister bang on all these stories, I began to think, I opened my eyes and realised I am sitting in a building, bored out my skull and I dont actually believe a word this guys saying, to me it seems its all about the Christian church trying to control my life(the church has far too much power, thank goodness attendances are rapidly dropping in this country), so I got up walked out and never went back, I was only 10 at the time but that was the best thing I have ever done in my life, it was only when I was older that my friends told me that they wish they had been able to do that but their parents would not let them.

Actually being forced to go church, I wonder how many kids up and down the country have had to go through that?

Anyway needless to say I am now 25, as are my mates, and all of us have a laugh at the fanciful stories and are glad our kids wont be forced to go to church.
Aeris
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hello. Normally I don't answer posts when I feel like they are meant to start debates in the Christian society, but I think a lot of people have this question that you posted. There really isn't a way to ban people from having religion. If we did that, we wouldn't be giving people the freedom to choose. That's the most important right any country can guarantee its citizens.
But my faith says love and treat others as I would like to be treated.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by rawkingpunkster)
yay im in
Do you mean in the soc?
Spoiler:
Show
Welcome!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (10)
37.04%
No (17)
62.96%

Watched Threads