Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've got a random question...

Assuming most people here are secondary school aged, what are your Churches' youth ministies like, how do they work for you etc?

Just i got into a huge discussion with the youth worker at church at lunch... and my basic arguement was my Church's youth policy is rubbish because it is really disjointed and its projects are too short term...

It's really good for getting people to make the first steps and then it will support you for a bit but the thing is most of the youth workers only stay a year or two, so just as you are finding your feet and getting going whoever was helping you runs off into the sunset so then someone else has to get to know you and how you learn and worship etc so they can support you well again and it also means abapting to a new teaching style and meeting syle every couple of years and it can be really distracting.

So i would like to ask how have other peoples Churches over come these difficulties or do they emply youth workers on longer term contacts or what?

ReputationRep:
    Our youth are involved in all ministry as much as poss, and they have their own camp to help them start ministering in meetings. We have a YP's leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazynutter)
    So i would like to ask how have other peoples Churches over come these difficulties or do they emply youth workers on longer term contacts or what?
    My church's youth are quite crazy. I'm part of a housechurch network, and the youth crowd are pretty wild. Basically they started with a youth house church, then the youth that were being discipled went out and witnessed to friends who then got saved (they held youth camps, and witnessed to friends in school and neighbourhood) Then the original house church split into a whole bunch of smaller house churches run by the youth who had invited the new guys in, but closely monitored and supported by the original leaders of the first youth house church. All of the youth are involved in running a Friday night youth club called 'Fusion' in which they take in loads of teenagers from the street and let them go crazy for a few hours in the church facility, with a games room, and a disco room and cafe. They all have police checks and stuff. Fusion isn't 'christian' but each of the youth who staff it and supervise it are, and they get as much one on one interaction and impact on the kids as possible. I think coming together and working on a team like this helps them to reconnect with their original house church team. We also meet every now and then to support eachother and pray for eachother, before they go out and get on with running their groups and witnessing more.
    So...its quite dynamic and happens really fast. Every christian is equipped by the Spirit to witness and be vessels of God's love. Even if the youth leaders did move on, they would have imparted their values to the next generation who would be able to go forward (in accountability to the church as a whole)

Sorry.. that was a bit long. It was just rather hard to explain correctly...:rolleyes: :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Ours is really good for younger children - ie primary and up to about year 10 or 11. We're on a large council estate, and get a lot of kids from there coming to midweek clubs. These clubs have mostly young leaders (13,14,15) who have often been members of the club themselves and are Christians, though the kids who come aren't necessarily.

We get maybe 300 or so kids each week, although have a waiting list - we're short of leaders. Regarding youth leaders, we don't seem to have as much of a problem with them leaving, but we have been very blessed with some great people. We have a lot of adults who are ordinary church members who help out. They seem to stay longer than some of the youth leaders we've had who we've employed - perhaps if you can get more church members along as leaders, it could help stop everything changing/needing to adapt whenever a new youth leader arrives?

For older children, we have less stuff (but that could be because the 'bulk' of children are still younger and things could well change). I don't go to the youth group for my age at my home church (I go to my school friends' group)as it's a bit cliquey. I think that's the problem with smaller groups unfortunately, plus a high youth worker turnover is going to have a bigger impact if they're one of the only adults there.

Older children tend to become leaders of Sunday or midweek groups, but I'm not sure how much support there is for them as growing Christians (I've never really talked to our youth pastor or any of our youth workers, but that's becasue I'm not really involved any more myself).

Crazynutter - do you have homegroups/cell groups with just young people? That way you can support each other a bit more, so hopefully youth leaders changing shouldn't be as much of a problem. If you see if you can take over a bit more as a group of young people if you haven't already, that'd perhaps make your style of worship and so on more stable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazynutter)
    I've got a random question...

Assuming most people here are secondary school aged, what are your Churches' youth ministies like, how do they work for you etc?
    My church has quite a good youth ministry, I would say. There are two groups, one 11-14 and one 14-18 which I think is useful as there is usually a big gap between the spiritual needs of 11 and 12 year olds, and older teenagers. Also it is well integrated into the rest of the church - we attend the same Sunday services as the other members and aren't segregated off or patronised. Being made to feel a part of the church like that is really great for spiritual growth and maturity and also getting on well with others in the church.

Just i got into a huge discussion with the youth worker at church at lunch... and my basic arguement was my Church's youth policy is rubbish because it is really disjointed and its projects are too short term...

It's really good for getting people to make the first steps and then it will support you for a bit but the thing is most of the youth workers only stay a year or two, so just as you are finding your feet and getting going whoever was helping you runs off into the sunset so then someone else has to get to know you and how you learn and worship etc so they can support you well again and it also means adapting to a new teaching style and meeting syle every couple of years and it can be really distracting.

I can see how that could be a problem - I guess it's not such a big issue in my church group because the youth leaders are all regular church members anyway - so we see them in the Sunday services and regular church cell group meetings anyway, and they've got a clear commitment to the church. Sure, there have been times people have had to stand down for other commitments, or moving away, but because there are a few leaders there was always a period of overlap too.

But you mentioned "how you learn and worship" - well, yes different people do these in different ways but one of the things I've discovered through making Christian friends outside my own immediate church group is that different people aren't tied down to their own particular 'style', and often trying something a little different can give you a more mature perspective on faith and worship. There is also the need for us as Christians to try to get on and understand each other (otherwise what is heaven going to be like?!) and so I'd advise that if you're having difficulties with a new youth worker's style to try and stick it out for a bit. Try and understand it, and you might find it helpful and may even like it! There's often a bit of almost loyalty to the departing worker's style and a reluctance to do anything differently to how they did things, I have found, but it's not wrong to change these things so long as you are still being scriptural and faithful to God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philjw)
    There is also the need for us as Christians to try to get on and understand each other (otherwise what is heaven going to be like?!) and so I'd advise that if you're having difficulties with a new youth worker's style to try and stick it out for a bit. Try and understand it, and you might find it helpful and may even like it! There's often a bit of almost loyalty to the departing worker's style and a reluctance to do anything differently to how they did things, I have found, but it's not wrong to change these things so long as you are still being scriptural and faithful to God.
    I'd really agree with this last statement. I've been through so many major church changes in the past couple of years in my life it isn't even funny. For alot of the time this was very stressful and hard for me, and certainly not how I would have chosen it, but at the end of the day I've found that its forced me to strengthen my personal relationship with God to a higher degree just so that I could know for myself which, of all the new things I liked and didn't like, were to do with my faith and conviction and which were to do with my threatened comfort zones! Its also really helped me to be so much more open minded to other christians and to develop a more mature attitude

ReputationRep:
    :hello:

Just thought I'd say hi since I'm a member of this soc but I don't think I've posted on here yet! I'm Emma by the way

ReputationRep:
    :hello: Hello Emma

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=257324

Does anyone else think that posts like that don't do anything for the Christian world?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deej2)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=257324

Does anyone else think that posts like that don't do anything for the Christian world?
    Well I agree with everything the poster said. It's a super long post though and I don't know if anyone took the time to read it all! Sometimes though I feel like people just quote scriptures or run on with so much information that their words are overwhelming to someone trying to learn about Christianity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeris)
    Well I agree with everything the poster said. It's a super long post though and I don't know if anyone took the time to read it all! Sometimes, however, I feel like people just quote scriptures or run on with so much information that their words are overwhelming to someone trying to learn about Christianity.
    I agree yes, but it still does us no good.

People will only respond to the call when ready, not when they get scripture thrown at them

ReputationRep:
    Looks like one of the mods got rid of the thread.

ReputationRep:
    Dude you guys I'm bored. Anyone there for me to talk to? Nothing beats good fellowship.

ReputationRep:
    For some reason, I can't view deej2's link, so NJA and Aeris' subsequent comments mean nothing to me. Would somebody mind giving me a rough synopsis of what it was about, and what deej2 was objecting to? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeris)
    Dude you guys I'm bored. Anyone there for me to talk to? Nothing beats good fellowship.
    Sure, why not :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    For some reason, I can't view deej2's link, so NJA and Aeris' subsequent comments mean nothing to me. Would somebody mind giving me a rough synopsis of what it was about, and what deej2 was objecting to? :confused:
    Um.. well someone posted in the chat section a very long post which basiclly stated that Jesus is the son of God and the savior. Then the op went on to give scriptures from the bible supporting their position. Last, the op said that if you've never received Jesus as your lord and savior you should say these words etc etc. Lots of people got mad about it and started posting mean responses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeris)
    Um.. well someone posted in the chat section a very long post which basiclly stated that Jesus is the son of God and the savior. Then the op went on to give scriptures from the bible supporting their position. Last, the op said that if you've never received Jesus as your lord and savior you should say these words etc etc. Lots of people got mad about it and started posting mean responses.
    Well it does sound like the person was asking for it! We can really miss the plot sometimes, huh? :eek:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Thanks for filling me in, by the way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Well it does sound like the person was asking for it! We can really miss the plot sometimes, huh? :eek:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Thanks for filling me in, by the way!
    Well I guess so. Still I don't understand why people had to be so terrible.
    I'm still trying to figure out what NJA's post means. Is that a response to deej or...?

ReputationRep:
    It was, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeris)
    Ha, I was just thinking the same thing Talk away...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2011
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.