The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gandall
Thats good :smile: Don't feel any pressure. Take your time and most of all, enjoy life :smile:

Will do

I'll take life to the limit, which doesn't exist :wink:
Reply 6541
Original post by EEngWillow

For me, worship is largely about the immense sense of community that comes with our whole church taking part, every single one of us praising our Lord and saviour, drawing closer to Christ. That said, I can happily worship on my own. Our prayer room is in an old bowling green which the council locks up each night using a combiation-padlock, but we've got an agreement with them that we're allowed the access codes. A lot of the times that I've been in town late at the weekend, I've found myself in the prayer room singing along to some worship CD that I've randomly picked off the shelf until dawn!

Also, prayer said. (Also, never forget Phil 4:6 - Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.)

Ahh I love that verse! I heard it in a talk earlier in the summer.
Suggestions for good bible verses about defending the weak and helpless? Don't really want to post specifics here, PM me if you want to pray about it and I'll try and accurately summarise things

edit:
Original post by skotch
Ahh I love that verse! I heard it in a talk earlier in the summer.

I don't know anyone who doen't love that verse if I'm honest!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6543
Suggestions for good bible verses about defending the weak and helpless? Don't really want to post specifics here, PM me if you want to pray about it and I'll try and accurately summarise things.

As in, do you want examples of verses or are you giving people the opportunity to ask you for examples? Wasn't quite clear!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got back from church and I was wondering what Bible verses people covered today? Anything encouraging?

We did Acts 2:42-47. Really nice passage and really encouraging too.
Original post by skotch
As in, do you want examples of verses or are you giving people the opportunity to ask you for examples? Wasn't quite clear!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got back from church and I was wondering what Bible verses people covered today? Anything encouraging?

We did Acts 2:42-47. Really nice passage and really encouraging too.

Did john 6 today, all about the bread of life and how we need to continually feast on Jesus - exactly what God has been teaching me this whole week from John 6 and 7. It was totally divine too because we had some random preacher who is the head of the nearby theological college come preach (we don't have a pastor at the moment). God is so cool like that!

This afternoon I said goodbye (leaving for uni tomorrow) to each of my siblings individually, Rachel from friends style, and I prayed with each one of them. It was interesting, my self confessed atheist sister I prayed with, then this evening she was singing praise songs and I was super encouraged. :smile:
Reply 6545
Original post by JB Johnstone
Did john 6 today, all about the bread of life and how we need to continually feast on Jesus - exactly what God has been teaching me this whole week from John 6 and 7. It was totally divine too because we had some random preacher who is the head of the nearby theological college come preach (we don't have a pastor at the moment). God is so cool like that!

This afternoon I said goodbye (leaving for uni tomorrow) to each of my siblings individually, Rachel from friends style, and I prayed with each one of them. It was interesting, my self confessed atheist sister I prayed with, then this evening she was singing praise songs and I was super encouraged. :smile:

Just noticed it says you're going to York Uni (I think...).

My best friend is at York Uni and is a Christian. Which college are you in?
Original post by skotch

Sorry, was posting from my phone and was getting irritated with its keyboard so went for a fairly terse post. On my laptop now, so I'll try again.

There's a situation in my life at the moment (...isn't there always :tongue: ) which I don't particularly want to explain in public on the internet.
I'm about to spend half an hour praying (Even the Lord must wait upon Spooks!), and then another couple of hours (or until I need to sleep, basically) - was just hoping somebody could suggest a couple of verses to help focus my prayer, to do with interceding on behalf of the weak and helpless. (Also was saying that if you want to join me in praying around this situation to PM me and I'd try and explain what's happening)
(edited 12 years ago)
Sorry, was posting from my phone and was getting irritated with its keyboard so went for a fairly terse post. On my laptop now, so I'll try again.

There's a situation in my life at the moment (...isn't there always :tongue: ) which I don't particularly want to explain in public on the internet.
I'm about to spend half an hour praying (Even the Lord must wait upon Spooks!), and then another couple of hours (or until I need to sleep, basically) - was just hoping somebody could suggest a couple of verses to help focus my prayer, to do with interceding on behalf of the weak and helpless. (Also was saying that if you want to join me in praying around this situation to PM me and I'd try and explain what's happening)

I opened my Bible randomly to try and help out and came across Isaiah 51: 12-16. I don't know if this is God asking me to point it out to you. I hope that might help somewhat.

PM me if you wanna chat. I'd like to pray for you :smile:
Reply 6548

Not sure if it's totally relevant...

"These trials are only to test your faith, to show that it is strong and pure. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold - and your faith is far more precious to God than mere gold. So if your faith remains strong after being tried by fiery trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honour on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world." 1 Peter 1:7

There's also Psalm 23.

1 The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,[a]
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6549

Think of Judah's speech to Joseph concerning the cup of Benjamin, his intercession shows the grace of God at work in a forgiving man (Joseph).

Peter was in prison and an angel delivered him miraculously. But intercessionary prayer was made 'without ceasing' for him (Acts 12:5). This is an example of the power of the prayer that God's people can make.

Christ does so for us, he gets involved in our case (Heb 7:25). Do likewise for others. Keep it up, your prayer will be answered in God's time and his terms so keep praying. Mathew 7:7: Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; kock, and it shall be opened unto you."

Though I know not your problem, I will join you in prayer for whatever it may be.

Hope this is of use.:smile:

God Bless
This is so cool! To see all these posts with random bible verses and you all supporting each other - I wish I'd found this earlier :redface:

So I thought I'd come and sort of introduce myself - hiiii :smile:
And I seriously look forward to kind of 'talking' to some you guys! Ah, I'm buzzin' now I've found this :')
Original post by skotch
Just noticed it says you're going to York Uni (I think...).

My best friend is at York Uni and is a Christian. Which college are you in?

Haha, I was thinking earlier "Hmm I should change that".

I last updated that 1 year ago when I was moving down to York for bible college for my gap year. I'm going to St Andrews tomorrow.
What was his/her name? I went to Vanburgh CU once and know a few people there.
Original post by I_like_yumyums
This is so cool! To see all these posts with random bible verses and you all supporting each other - I wish I'd found this earlier :redface:

And I seriously look forward to kind of 'talking' to some you guys! Ah, I'm buzzin' now I've found this :')

Hey, great to meet you! I am glad you have been encouraged!
It's amazing how we can encourage each other online like this as brothers and sisters in Christ. :smile:

I'm praying for everyone on this society regularly, I know God has amazing plans for everyone here and He will use us in great ways for His glory. :smile:

Hey, welcome to the society :hello: Do chat away :biggrin:
Reply 6554
Original post by JB Johnstone
Haha, I was thinking earlier "Hmm I should change that".

I last updated that 1 year ago when I was moving down to York for bible college for my gap year. I'm going to St Andrews tomorrow.
What was his/her name? I went to Vanburgh CU once and know a few people there.

He was in James College and doesn't go to the uni CU, just the college CU. Probably shouldn't post names on a public forum! May come up on an internet search :/
Thanks to everyone who's either PM'd me, or posted verses here - you've all been really helpful. It makes me so proud to be a Christian when everyone bands together to help someone :-) Sadly I can't +rep you all because I've repped some of you too recently! :P

Welcome :smile: It's great to see that even when bad things are happening, some people can find some measure of encouragement due to them!
(I like yumyums too!)

Hello and welcome to the X-Soc! :smile: We look forward to getting to know you similarly :yes:

Thanks to everyone who's either PM'd me, or posted verses here - you've all been really helpful. It makes me so proud to be a Christian when everyone bands together to help someone :-) Sadly I can't +rep you all because I've repped some of you too recently! :P

I seem to be a bit late however I hope you found everyone here to be helpful so far. You can always drop in for a chat or prayer request. :h:
Thank you guys for all your lovely welcomes :smile:
I am honestly very glad to have found this! I always get excited when I see large groups of christians who don't necessarily know each other bonding together :smile: It's truly beautiful!

So are the majority of the group here at uni/off to uni? If so are you looking forward to finding new churches etc?!

Plus - randomly - anyone here go to New Wine?

(and yes yumyums are utterly delicious :') )
Thank you guys for all your lovely welcomes :smile:
I am honestly very glad to have found this! I always get excited when I see large groups of christians who don't necessarily know each other bonding together :smile: It's truly beautiful!

So are the majority of the group here at uni/off to uni? If so are you looking forward to finding new churches etc?!

Plus - randomly - anyone here go to New Wine?

(and yes yumyums are utterly delicious :') )

Hey, welcome to the group!

I'm not, I'm in year 11 this year... So yeah I'm younger than most people on here.

Yes, yumyums are very nice :wink:
Original post by Facticity
H

You never replied to my post about purgatory :cry:

Latest

Trending

Trending