Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    Woman are equal to, but not the same as men.
    Pretty much that - taking the Corinthians passage (there is no man/woman/slave/free in Christ) to exemplify equality of status, but Genesis and Timothy and the other Corinthians passage to decry equality of function, while Titus showing that there's a place for women in a ministry team for the ministry of women and children in the congregation, as well as in a more informal setting.

This also pre-figures Christ who was "put to sleep" so thata woman (the Church) could be formed.
    That's interesting, hadn't heard that before!

4 x 35 mins is a lot!
    Not when it's an interesting topic, you can listen to it over a few days, and it's Edward Lobb, who is a 65ish year old man with a deep plummy English voice who always makes everything even more interesting than it really is

ReputationRep:
    Was reading Ezekiel this morning, and Chapter 33 is really cool:
    [10]*“And you, son of man, say to the house of Israel, Thus have you said: ‘Surely our transgressions and our sins are upon us, and we rot away because of them. How then can we live?’ [11]*Say to them, As I live, declares the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live; turn back, turn back from your evil ways, for why will you die, O house of Israel?
    [12]*“And you, son of man, say to your people, The righteousness of the righteous shall not deliver him when he transgresses, and as for the wickedness of the wicked, he shall not fall by it when he turns from his wickedness, and the righteous shall not be able to live by his righteousness when he sins. [13]*Though I say to the righteous that he shall surely live, yet if he trusts in his righteousness and does injustice, none of his righteous deeds shall be remembered, but in his injustice that he has done he shall die. [14]*Again, though I say to the wicked, ‘You shall surely die,’ yet if he turns from his sin and does what is just and right, [15]*if the wicked restores the pledge, gives back what he has taken by robbery, and walks in the statutes of life, not doing injustice, he shall surely live; he shall not die. [16]*None of the sins that he has committed shall be remembered against him. He has done what is just and right; he shall surely live.
    [17]*“Yet your people say, ‘The way of the Lord is not just,’ when it is their own way that is not just. [18]*When the righteous turns from his righteousness and does injustice, he shall die for it. [19]*And when the wicked turns from his wickedness and does what is just and right, he shall live by this. [20]*Yet you say, ‘The way of the Lord is not just.’ O house of Israel, I will judge each of you according to his ways.”

(Ezekiel 33:10-20 ESV)
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hey guys. Thanks to those of you who've put yourselves forward or nominated someone to be a D&CA mod. Today's the last day we're accepting nominations (for now) so please can any remaining nominations in - we're looking for quite a few new mods across the whole section with people who are interested in just one forum to the whole section.

You can find out more here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/anno...php?f=61&a=724

ReputationRep:
    Guys, another big question - How do you deal with the guilt from things that you did/said in the past?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skotch)
    Guys, another big question - How do you deal with the guilt from things that you did/said in the past?
    I guess the short answer is that I know Jesus died on the cross for me, to purge me of my sins. It's the ultimate act of forgiveness. I don't really have time for a longer answer since I'm meant to be working...

Before I go though, I'll leave you a few verses that might fuel some further thought:

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." - 1 John 1:9

"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." -
    2 Corinthians 5:17

"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." - Romans 8:1
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    That website, Fisheaters, really is a remarkable resource. I hope you can find it useful :yep:
    I will definitely use it in the future, thanks :yes:

I think the past ca be a very dangerous thing. We can sometimes fall back into it too easily and then become resentful towards ourselves and then convince ourselves we aren't deserving to be saved which easily leads to falling back into sin and then an infinite cycle of guilt and sin. As EEngWillow said, you have to simpl acknowledge your forthcomings, not as shameful secrets of your past but as things which you should improve on, learn from, and things that have helped shape you become who you are. Salvation may be given out but it doesn't hold if you don't accept it. I think we just need to learn to say we're not perfect but (and I'm not encouraging you sin) its okay that we did sin - as long as we can also accept we have been forgiven and try to live right. :yes:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It's really hard and something I struggle with a lot (my illness exacerbates it too :sigh: ). The key thing to remember is that what is in the past... is in the past. There is nothing you can do to change it now. You can only grow from the outcome/experience of what you said and did and learn from it.

You are loved no matter what you did, do or will do in the future. God is compassionate and forgiving. If He can forgive you, why can you not forgive yourself?

I know how hard it is though :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Facticity)
    I will definitely use it in the future, thanks :yes:

Jolly good. My only advice is to stay away from their forums. Some members are lovely people, whilst some are slightly mental and others downright unpleasant. The blogs, on the left hand side, is really rather good though :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, just writing to ask if you could pray for me, and my fellow classmates, as well as anybody else doing a stupid History Controlled Assessment tomorrow... It's my dream to study it, and I'd really like to get an A or A* so I have to work really hard... Plus we've done very little prep and I only found out today when we have it

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Praying is the main way, but going to Mass or a confession works also. It's always good to talk to somebody, and if you can't talk to another person, then you can always speak to the Lord! The great thing about Christianity is that we say sorry to the Lord, something other religions do not. Meaning we have a sense of apology and self shame if we do something wrong, but many, if not most religions do not.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by mevidek)
    Hey all, just writing to ask if you could pray for me, and my fellow classmates, as well as anybody else doing a stupid History Controlled Assessment tomorrow... It's my dream to study it, and I'd really like to get an A or A* so I have to work really hard... Plus we've done very little prep and I only found out today when we have it

Thanks!
    Prayer said for you all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Prayer said for you all
    Thank you

How have you been recently?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by mevidek)
    Thank you

How have you been recently?
    Generally good, though apparently I now have heart problems as a side effect of the antipsychotic medication I'm taking Also have dangerously high cholesterol, also a side effect. So my physical health is not too good. Mentally I'm doing well though
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Generally good, though apparently I now have heart problems as a side effect of the antipsychotic medication I'm taking Also have dangerously high cholesterol, also a side effect. So my physical health is not too good. Mentally I'm doing well though
    I'm glad that your mental health is getting better but i'm sorry to hear about your physical health. I know you didn't ask but I'll be praying for you! :hugs:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Facticity)
    I'm glad that your mental health is getting better but i'm sorry to hear about your physical health. I know you didn't ask but I'll be praying for you! :hugs:
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Good to hear about the mental health, but hopefully your physical health now gets better :sadnod:

I'll pray a bit later for you :yep:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thank you
    No problem

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to ask people here for their experiences of particular trends of attacking Christianity, other faiths or religion in general have been like. An example would be like the priest sex scandals that led to many to demonise the Catholic faith and theology in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    I'd like to ask people here for their experiences of particular trends of attacking Christianity, other faiths or religion in general have been like. An example would be like the priest sex scandals that led to many to demonise the Catholic faith and theology in general.
    This a question better suited to the ask a christian thread as this thread is for discussion, encouragement and support. I'm sure that those member who wish to contribute will do so in the Ask a Christian thread if you are worried about not getting replies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    Hi. It's a good question but can you specify it slightly. Thanks

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.