TSR Christian Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by skotch)
By the way guys, I've just got back from my first night out back at uni and it's gone well and had a great time, although it was tough and has made me think about stuff.

Basically, I wear a christian wristband and one of my friends spotted it and we talked a little. This then went on to the topic of sex before marriage, something which the vast majority of students don't seem to give a crap about. Some of the guys there already knew my stance on it while I had the courage to tell others my stance for the first time which is pretty cool. Led to an interesting discussion. It's made me think though, how do people feel about sex before marriage? And how do we combat it in such a sex-obsessed society? Literally all we seem to talk about on nights out are girls, pulling, sex, and alcohol. I've tried telling people that they really don't need alcohol to have fun on a night out, but how do I convince them when they are so adament that they need alcohol to have fun? Do I have to lead by example? I'm not one to abstain from a tipple of alcohol and I'm (now) careful about how much I drink (because of both money and I know what it can do to me/others). What do I dooo??

I was good tonight and chose to walk home with my housemate and another mate rather than stay in the club with all my other mates which could have led to the temptation to do stuff (I won't divulge, but it's pretty obvious...)

I feel like my only option is to lead by example, which is what I'm doing, but I'm in suuuch a minority in my extended friendship group from my halls which is the group I hang out with most. There is literally just me. The people that I can chat to personally about stuff aren't here yet. I have a few friends that are christians, but they're not in that friendship group. It's just really hard and I feel like there's so much pressure to conform which I am just not going to do. So glad that this year gives me a chance to strengthen existing friendships, but I don't want to be distancing myself from or possibly losing other friends just because we have different opinions on sex /clubbing.

Any advice for any of those issues?
Okay firstly :woo: telling your friends is a really great thing, nothing to be ashamed of and not as weird as you think (I have a number of guy friends who while not no sex before marriage are "sex only within a relationship" or other such boundaries). Also by telling people it's a great way to get your faith known. Quite a few of my guy friends at uni refer to me as Mary (as in the Virgin Mary) and it's always better to be known for something to do with Christianity than to be known as "the one that sleeps around". At the end of the day, we are always gonna be different because of no sex, but then Christ calls us to be different! Look on it as a good thing, don't act ashamed about it and more often than not you'll find people are actually really respectful of your views.

In my friendship group, like you I was the only Christian. While I have Christian friends at uni, they aren't the people I go out with or anything. I think I got priorities totally wrong in first term, just going out, acting like them, getting drunk, getting with randomers etc. not something I'm proud of. As first year progressed I started limiting my alcohol yet I could still have a good time. For Lent I stuck to government alcohol allowances (2-3 units max a day for women) and this often meant I just didn't drink on a night out...I think the fact my friends saw me able to have fun while 100% sober really kinda made them reasses the need to get blazing on a night out! In fact this year, I've noticed they're all drinking less. Now I try and go no further than tipsy...although occasionally I have to say I miss the warning signs and end up a bit drunk, but well I'm still learning! I find also the sober-er I am, in general the less likely I was to get with randoms. Now I've got a bf of course that isn't a problem at all as I wouldn't cheat or anything

I don't think you have to lose friends just cos you differ on clubbing/sex. It's about a balance between Christian stuff and stuff with your friends. After all, you're providing a great testimony to them. This year I've joined the young adult community (yac) from Church which takes place every other wednesday and then on the other week we do a social thing, so one night a week is dedicated to Church people so even if I'm asked out that night, I won't go cos I've got that. But I would in no way abandon my other friends to solely have religious friends. Something I've found really encouraging is one of my non religious friends who last year I had some good discussions with (she had been Christian but her mum and step dad were over-zealous and constantly telling her how she was doing the devil's work and was going to hell etc and this alienated her) has said that she'd like to come to Church with me one week! I mean how amazing! If I hadn't been close to her and part of that is through nights out and listening to her talk about her bf and her sex life and stuff then she wouldn't be going to church as she feels she couldn't go by herself! But this Sunday she's going to come to the evening service with me, and that'll be really cool!

And I think I've rambled long enough but yeah

(Original post by EEngWillow)
What is it with us and stupidly early starts :<

I'll also reply later, by which I mean "when my boss stops walking around the office and I find some time".
Sucks doesn't it! Here is a reminder to respond at some point

(Original post by JB Johnstone)
I have to leave for a lecture in 7 minutes but I want to write a reply to this also... please remind me? I have been considering these issues a lot recently, not so much my stance on them (which I don't think has weakened, though the last few days have been crazy with temptation, God strengthened me with some epic verses from Hebrews 2 and also I think 4 (or maybe ch3). They're quite easy to find, one right at the start of ch2, and one near the end of ch3 or 4. I have been praying about how I can use differences in views like this and what constitutes a "good night out" to win people to Jesus and for God's glory. I don't think I have all the answers by any means, but God has given me a few insights I feel.
Here is another reminder to respond
22KT22
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just a minor point guys, but in the future could we avoid starting a debate in other Society threads? It's a bit hypocritical of us to point people to our "Ask a Christian" thread, and then start debating theology in a different Society thread instead of their "Ask a <x>" thread.

I understand that at times it's difficult to not respond when people laugh at you, mock you or generally have a difference of opinion, but all you're really doing is making us look bad.

After all, does the Bible not tell us that we should love our neighbours? To my mind, that also means respecting the rules of their 'private' threads.

For what it's worth, I've posted an apology in the Atheism Soc thread for some of the posts that have appeared in their thread in the last 24 hours, and I'd suggest that we all refrain from adding anything else to their thread. If you want to continue your discussion with people in there, quote the relevant people into a post in the "Ask an Atheist" thread.

(You might all disagree with me, that's fine - it's only my opinion.)
I agree with this in the sense we don't want debate in here and I doubt they want it in there. If it offends people then feel free to report it or discuss it in the ask an thread.
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just a minor point guys, but in the future could we avoid starting a debate in other Society threads? It's a bit hypocritical of us to point people to our "Ask a Christian" thread, and then start debating theology in a different Society thread instead of their "Ask a <x>" thread.

I understand that at times it's difficult to not respond when people laugh at you, mock you or generally have a difference of opinion, but all you're really doing is making us look bad.

After all, does the Bible not tell us that we should love our neighbours? To my mind, that also means respecting the rules of their 'private' threads.

For what it's worth, I've posted an apology in the Atheism Soc thread for some of the posts that have appeared in their thread in the last 24 hours, and I'd suggest that we all refrain from adding anything else to their thread. If you want to continue your discussion with people in there, quote the relevant people into a post in the "Ask an Atheist" thread.

(You might all disagree with me, that's fine - it's only my opinion. Also this only applies to a small number of people).
I agree. I had no idea that we'd been posting in Atheism soc. It's like when people from Muslim soc came over to us we weren't happy, so in return we shouldn't invade them.
Tzarchasm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
skotch
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Also, another thing is that last year in the summer term me and a big group of friends would get together and play poker rather than going out. Now I don't really have a problem with gambling for money as we didn't use very much (only like a pound each) and I'm not an addict, but playing poker with my mates is something I really enjoy. I'm also quite good at it! (The 4 times we played it at uni I came 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd). The boys are now thinking of getting together every week on a sunday evening to play this year. This is my issue - I won't be able to come as I'll prioritise going to church over most other things (something I didn't do last year). So I feel like I may be alienating myself from the group, but at the same time I'll be witnessing to them about how important my faith is to me - something I haven't done in the past. I feel like there's going to be big changes to peoples' attitudes this year - less of a reliance on alcohol and partying and more on cementing good friendships. Could you guys just be praying for my friends at uni that they'll be accepting and maybe God could soften their hearts and help them to listen.

Another point is that the one housemate that I didn't know in my house is a devout Christian, which is sooo good! We can encourage each other and hopefully witness to others. So in my house we have 2 devout Christians and one sort-of Christian - 3 out of 6 is pretty good going! Really thankful that God has put me in such a situation :awesome:
mevidek
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's hilarious how rejecting the Atheists are on their thread... I just came to say hi, and I'm getting some not very pleasant answers :facepalm:
gltw
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Facticity)
They are both sins, but I wouldn't say they are the same. A white lie, whilst being a sin, is not the same as murder.

Sin is lawlessness (1 John 3:4) or transgression of God's will, either by omitting to do what God's law requires or by doing what it forbids. The transgression can occur in thought (1 John 3:15), word (Matthew 5:22), or deed (Romans 1:32).

James 2:10 "For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it."

Romans 3:23-24" for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,"

1 John 3:4-5 "Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness."

(Original post by Facticity)
Fair enough. This has gone on long enough. I'm still undecided on the issue and I will look into it further sometime I guess. I admire your conviction and a puritanical living is commendable.
I try to live my life the way the Bible intended and not conform to modern interpretations which manipulate the Word. I attempt to follow the teachings of the original reformed church which puts Christ first before all else.

The will of God: nothing less, nothing more, nothing else.
Thats the motto for my life.
JB Johnstone
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's so cool, I found out that one of my atheist friends here is reading the bible "for literary merit", ie. so he can understand allusions that writers may make to it. His heart is completely hard toward it as far as I can tell (he was mocking all of the incest in genesis, etc.) but this is amazing because it will spark conversations about God all the time, I feel, and he's reading the word! God is at work!
adamrules247
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by gltw)

I try to live my life the way the Bible intended and not conform to modern interpretations which manipulate the Word. I attempt to follow the teachings of the original reformed church which puts Christ first before all else.

The will of God: nothing less, nothing more, nothing else.
Thats the motto for my life.
How do you know the will of God? And before you say through the Bible ask yourself this, how do you know that your interpretation is correct?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Also, another thing is that last year in the summer term me and a big group of friends would get together and play poker rather than going out. Now I don't really have a problem with gambling for money as we didn't use very much (only like a pound each) and I'm not an addict, but playing poker with my mates is something I really enjoy. I'm also quite good at it! (The 4 times we played it at uni I came 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd). The boys are now thinking of getting together every week on a sunday evening to play this year. This is my issue - I won't be able to come as I'll prioritise going to church over most other things (something I didn't do last year). So I feel like I may be alienating myself from the group, but at the same time I'll be witnessing to them about how important my faith is to me - something I haven't done in the past. I feel like there's going to be big changes to peoples' attitudes this year - less of a reliance on alcohol and partying and more on cementing good friendships. Could you guys just be praying for my friends at uni that they'll be accepting and maybe God could soften their hearts and help them to listen.

Another point is that the one housemate that I didn't know in my house is a devout Christian, which is sooo good! We can encourage each other and hopefully witness to others. So in my house we have 2 devout Christians and one sort-of Christian - 3 out of 6 is pretty good going! Really thankful that God has put me in such a situation :awesome:
Prayer said that your friends will accept you as you are :hugs:

(Original post by mevidek)
It's hilarious how rejecting the Atheists are on their thread... I just came to say hi, and I'm getting some not very pleasant answers :facepalm:
Just leave them be. They probably don't like intruders in their thread anymore than we do. If they can't be civil, they're not worth bothering with :nah:
mevidek
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Prayer said that your friends will accept you as you are :hugs:

Just leave them be. They probably don't like intruders in their thread anymore than we do. If they can't be civil, they're not worth bothering with :nah:
I'm simply having a chat with them, but some of them can't resist a debate :erm:
mevidek
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Prayer said! :yep:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm simply having a chat with them, but some of them can't resist a debate :erm:
Well of course they can't: they think we're a laughing stock and love chances to prove how silly we are for believing in God :yes:
mevidek
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well of course they can't: they think we're a laughing stock and love chances to prove how silly we are for believing in God :yes:
Their loss
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Their loss
Quite :yep:
mevidek
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Quite :yep:
So how's life going?
adamrules247
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think someone got a bit cranky :teehee:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So how's life going?
Alright generally, thanks. The voices keep trying to come back, so that's been a bit difficult. Not sleeping well either. Otherwise, all good. How about you?
gltw
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by adamrules247)
How do you know the will of God? And before you say through the Bible ask yourself this, how do you know that your interpretation is correct?
Not only through the Bible but through prayer, waiting on him. That motto ensures I walk uprightly with God.

I put Christ first, how can that be a missinterperatation, I do not need confessions, statues, or fancy buildings I only need Christ. So my interrperatation is not wrong, I am continually learning, but Christ is head of the Church, him alone. If I follow exactly what he says then I will always be on the right path.
Tzarchasm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15116650

May God protect him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15105270

Insha'allah justice will be brought.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (282)
27.35%
No (749)
72.65%

Watched Threads