TSR Christian Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
Stephybabes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
Nope, really don't think so and really don't see any signs of it.
so you wouldn't say any of the characteristics described in the bible apply to him at all and you don't see any signs that the world is getting a bit crazy
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Stephybabes)
so you wouldn't say any of the characteristics described in the bible apply to him at all and you don't see any signs that the world is getting a bit crazy
I wouldn't say he is the antichrist, no.

Yes the world is crazy but that does not make Obama the antichrist.
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 7 years ago
Hey all.

This is a bit random but
Does anybody else think obama is a bit dodgy and high possibibility to be antichrist, made to be even more possible by whats going on in the world now, its getting really really crazy xx
nah mate
JB Johnstone
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Typical - I worry all week that I won't have enough to say in my theology essay, yet now I have actually started to write it I find that my essay _plan_ is 1000 words over the word limit of the essay itself.

Fun times.
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JB Johnstone)
Typical - I worry all week that I won't have enough to say in my theology essay, yet now I have actually started to write it I find that my essay _plan_ is 1000 words over the word limit of the essay itself.

Fun times.
:rofl:

I'm annoyed because while I can write one of my essays fine, the other two I'm just completely stuck on! No idea!
JB Johnstone
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
:rofl:

I'm annoyed because while I can write one of my essays fine, the other two I'm just completely stuck on! No idea!
What are you writing on?
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JB Johnstone)
What are you writing on?
Well I've done my Eng Lang essay, my Eng Lit is comparing two books (“The privilege of free action belongs to no mortal—we are tied down by the fetters of duty—our path is limited by the regulations of honour—our most indifferent actions are but the meshes of the web of destiny by which we are all surrounded” (Herries in Redgauntlet). Discuss with reference to at least two texts studied on the course (these may, but need not, include Redgauntlet). ) and the psychology essay I've got a choice of 5 questions and I don't think I can answer any of them .
1. Discuss the reasons we forget, and give at lease three examples of how we may
improve our memory.
2. Evaluate the use of experiments in psychology, using examples to illustrate their
strengths and weaknesses.
3. What use is colour vision?
4. Describe the functional organisation of the cerebral cortex.
5. Describe the main forms of learning (Classical and operant conditioning),
including their key concepts and how they work. Also, briefly discuss evidence
that all learning is not simply due to classical or operant conditioning.
Lantana
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Prayers said.

May I introduce Sister Shan of Singalonga? :jebus:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15402618
1. Discuss the reasons we forget, and give at lease three examples of how we may
improve our memory.
2. Evaluate the use of experiments in psychology, using examples to illustrate their
strengths and weaknesses.
3. What use is colour vision?
4. Describe the functional organisation of the cerebral cortex.
5. Describe the main forms of learning (Classical and operant conditioning),
including their key concepts and how they work. Also, briefly discuss evidence
that all learning is not simply due to classical or operant conditioning.
Ah yes, I remember now why I forgot all my neurology.
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lantana)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15402618

Ah yes, I remember now why I forgot all my neurology.
I swear we haven't even studied any of this stuff yet!
adamrules247
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey all.

This is a bit random but
Does anybody else think obama is a bit dodgy and high possibibility to be antichrist, made to be even more possible by whats going on in the world now, its getting really really crazy xx
His policies are certainly sickening. I would, however, refrain from calling him the anti Christ.
Facticity
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey all.

This is a bit random but
No. And stuff like this I find to be ridiculous fiction. The madman can find whatever he wants if he looks hard enough. :facepalm2: World is getting a bit crazy? How? Where? How is it any more crazy than usual? What has Obama done that presidents before him haven't and to a much more severe and immoral degree? I think the Anti-Christ could do a lot more than run for president and then proceed to loose voters extremely fast :facepalm: I don't even see how Obama has anything to do with a lot of the turmoil around the world :lolwut: I actually hate (!) crazy zealot conspiracy theories like this - no grounding in reality, or sense for that matter.
Nephilim
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Facticity)
No. And stuff like this I find to be ridiculous fiction. The madman can find whatever he wants if he looks hard enough. :facepalm2: World is getting a bit crazy? How? Where? How is it any more crazy than usual? What has Obama done that presidents before him haven't and to a much more severe and immoral degree? I think the Anti-Christ could do a lot more than run for president and then proceed to loose voters extremely fast :facepalm: I don't even see how Obama has anything to do with a lot of the turmoil around the world :lolwut: I actually hate crazy zealot conspiracy theories like this - no grounding in reality, or sense for that matter.
I agree, and I lol'd .

The anti-christ is somebody who is going to be popular with everyone bar Christians. And he is going to be very successful as a leader, which is why so many will be drawn to him. Obama may be the LEAST successful leader (not his fault though) in modern history :awesome:
Facticity
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nephilim)
I agree, and I lol'd .

The anti-christ is somebody who is going to be popular with everyone bar Christians. And he is going to be very successful as a leader, which is why so many will be drawn to him. Obama may be the LEAST successful leader (not his fault though) in modern history :awesome:
Well he isn't that popular in America, but in other places of the world, he is still quite popular. Though, more for what he is rather than what he stands for. I'm not sure if I agree with his policies, but one thing is quite abundantly clear, he isn't the Anti-Christ. :sigh:
Nephilim
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well he isn't that popular in America, but in other places of the world, he is still quite popular. Though, more for what he is rather than what he stands for. I'm not sure if I agree with his policies, but one thing is quite abundantly clear, he isn't the Anti-Christ. :sigh:
Thats exactly what the anti-christ would want you to believe!!

omg who negged me? I was just joking .
adamrules247
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
N What has Obama done that presidents before him haven't and to a much more severe and immoral degree?.
Well for a start he's pushing abortion - and the federal funding of abortion - more than any of his predecessors ever have. Some states, for example, chose to defund Planned Parenthood (a group which, even if you agree with abortion, is seriously dodgy) and Obama, rather than respect state rights, has been pumping federal funding into them. He's also pushing to have partial birth abortion bought back after it was sucessfully banned by Rick Santorum. What's more he's attempting to stop any conscientious clauses from being introduced to his Obamacare legislation which essentially means that if a doctor refuses to reccomend someone for an abortion he'll lose his job/funding. Same for nurses. We're not even that bad over here! These are just a couple of examples but there are plenty more - such as his attempts to push contraception and over rule the rights of private organisations to force them to hand it out.

BTW: I will reply to your other post in the D&D thread. I'm just soooo busy!

EDIT2: I do not think OBama is the anti Christ. I do think his policies are essentially evil though.
Facticity
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by adamrules247)
Well for a start he's pushing abortion - and the federal funding of abortion - more than any of his predecessors ever have. Some states, for example, chose to defund Planned Parenthood (a group which, even if you agree with abortion, is seriously dodgy) and Obama, rather than respect state rights, has been pumping federal funding into them. He's also pushing to have partial birth abortion bought back after it was sucessfully banned by Rick Santorum. What's more he's attempting to stop any conscientious clauses from being introduced to his Obamacare legislation which essentially means that if a doctor refuses to reccomend someone for an abortion he'll lose his job/funding. Same for nurses. We're not even that bad over here! These are just a couple of examples but there are plenty more - such as his attempts to push contraception and over rule the rights of private organisations to force them to hand it out.

I wasn't aware of that :beard: I've never overtly been that much of an Obama supporter anyway, more for a lack of knowing than anything though. Aha its cool adam, take your time. Though we do get into our debates, its just a discussion. :yes:
Nephilim
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

EDIT2: I do not think OBama is the anti Christ. I do think his policies are essentially evil though.
Why are Catholics so against contraception? Millions of sperm die anyway when you dont use contraception, and God only puts in human soul once the sperm has fertilised the egg.
adamrules247
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why are Catholics so against contraception? Millions of sperm die anyway when you dont use contraception, and God only puts in human soul once the sperm has fertilised the egg.
A good question and a valid one, and one which is often misunderstood. We don't use artificial contraception (natural methods are allowed), not because it kills the sperm, that would be illogical, but because it quite simply shows a lack of trust in God. Aristotle wrote that marital love between two people shouldn't be about two people merely being in love with each other - but about being in love together with a transcendent ideal. If it is jus two people in love with each other then it naturally follows that the love will become self centred. There's an excellent video on it here.

Now the Catholic Church teaches that there are four vocations. These are the priesthood, religious life, chastity and marriage. All these vocations are focused not on what the person thinks they want but on the total self giving of yourself to God - which can be achieved through all four. Now, I want to focus on marriage. As I have demonstated with the reference to Aristotle you can, and should, through marriage, give yourself totally to God. That means trusting totally in His will - trusting that he won't give you too much of a burden to bear. And remember that St. Paul speaks extensively of this, that God will never give us so many burdens, such as children, so as to destory us. Now by giving yourself totally to God it logically follows that you must give yourself totally to the other person, indeed Jesus tells us that the first and greatest commandement is to "love thy God" and the second most important is to "love thy neighbour". I ask you this, how can you totally trust yourself to God; His will, His Divine Providence, and the other person, if you are erecting a barrier between that person. So if it were God's Will for you to have children then you are most obviously fustrating his Will by blocking that. It also, by using artificial contraception, represents a degree of selfishness. You are not giving yourself totally the other person. You are not doing as Jesus wishes to be done, that is to be joined in "one flesh". You are holding back. Imagine if you told your wife that you love her 80%; that simply wouldn't be good enough. Yet people do this every single day by using artificial contracpetion - saying that they donot trust God and not giving themselves totally to the other person.

In Humane Vitea, Pope Paul VI encyclical on contracpetion, he made four great prophecies. I won't list them all but they've all come true. For example he argued that women would begin to be seen as objects by men and then this would eventually lead to the women seeing themselves as objects - degrading their own womanhood. Take a quick look at secular society and try and tell me this is not the case. You can read Humane Vitea by clicking the link and can read more about the prophecies of Paul VI by clicking here..

On a totally sociological level, rather than a spiritual level, the rates of divorce are telling. Of those who practise contracpetion divorce is somewhere at around 40%. For those who practise NFP (natural family planning) the rates are a tiny 0.2%. Don't you think that's amazing?! And that it actually proves the truth of the above? That it is in the total self giving of yourself to another person, and to God, that the marriage becomes truly sucessful. What's more you only need to look at the link between abortion and contraception. I won't go into the details too much (as I need to write a history essay!) but there a numerous links to be made with contracpetion and abortion. The former director of planned parenthood (the biggest owner of abortion mills has himself said (and I'm paraphrasing here) something along the lines of saying that there is a definite link between the two. You can read some writings on the link between the two here.

Now I must apologise as this is a very, very short answer and I cannot do the truely beautiful theology of the body justice both because of the lack of time and the lack of my intellect. However if you would like to learn more about this truly beautiful thing then I would recommend Humane Vitea and looking at this excellent blog which puts the theology of the body in simple layman's terms. If I were you I would not just skip straight to the section of contraception. Watch the ones before it as well. This is because the morals of the body must be viewed as a totality. You cannot understand Catholic opposition to homosexual acts, for example, if you donnot understand their opposition to contraception also.

I must also apologise for any spelling mistakes, mistakes of syntax (I'm awful at these, I'm afraid) and grammatical mistakes. God Bless you and I hope this helps. If anyone has any other questions I will do my upmost to answer them
Nephilim
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A good question and a valid one, and one which is often misunderstood. We don't use artificial contraception (natural methods are allowed), not because it kills the sperm, that would be illogical, but because it quite simply shows a lack of trust in God. Aristotle wrote that marital love between two people shouldn't be about two people merely being in love with each other - but about being in love together with a transcendent ideal. If it is jus two people in love with each other then it naturally follows that the love will become self centred. There's an excellent video on it here.

Now the Catholic Church teaches that there are four vocations. These are the priesthood, religious life, chastity and marriage. All these vocations are focused not on what the person thinks they want but on the total self giving of yourself to God - which can be achieved through all four. Now, I want to focus on marriage. As I have demonstated with the reference to Aristotle you can, and should, through marriage, give yourself totally to God. That means trusting totally in His will - trusting that he won't give you too much of a burden to bear. And remember that St. Paul speaks extensively of this, that God will never give us so many burdens, such as children, so as to destory us. Now by giving yourself totally to God it logically follows that you must give yourself totally to the other person, indeed Jesus tells us that the first and greatest commandement is to "love thy God" and the second most important is to "love thy neighbour". I ask you this, how can you totally trust yourself to God; His will, His Divine Providence, and the other person, if you are erecting a barrier between that person. So if it were God's Will for you to have children then you are most obviously fustrating his Will by blocking that. It also, by using artificial contraception, represents a degree of selfishness. You are not giving yourself totally the other person. You are not doing as Jesus wishes to be done, that is to be joined in "one flesh". You are holding back. Imagine if you told your wife that you love her 80%; that simply wouldn't be good enough. Yet people do this every single day by using artificial contracpetion - saying that they donot trust God and not giving themselves totally to the other person.

In Humane Vitea, Pope Paul VI encyclical on contracpetion, he made four great prophecies. I won't list them all but they've all come true. For example he argued that women would begin to be seen as objects by men and then this would eventually lead to the women seeing themselves as objects - degrading their own womanhood. Take a quick look at secular society and try and tell me this is not the case. You can read Humane Vitea by clicking the link and can read more about the prophecies of Paul VI by clicking here..

On a totally sociological level, rather than a spiritual level, the rates of divorce are telling. Of those who practise contracpetion divorce is somewhere at around 40%. For those who practise NFP (natural family planning) the rates are a tiny 0.2%. Don't you think that's amazing?! And that it actually proves the truth of the above? That it is in the total self giving of yourself to another person, and to God, that the marriage becomes truly sucessful. What's more you only need to look at the link between abortion and contraception. I won't go into the details too much (as I need to write a history essay!) but there a numerous links to be made with contracpetion and abortion. The former director of planned parenthood (the biggest owner of abortion mills has himself said (and I'm paraphrasing here) something along the lines of saying that there is a definite link between the two. You can read some writings on the link between the two here.

Now I must apologise as this is a very, very short answer and I cannot do the truely beautiful theology of the body justice both because of the lack of time and the lack of my intellect. However if you would like to learn more about this truly beautiful thing then I would recommend Humane Vitea and looking at this excellent blog which puts the theology of the body in simple layman's terms. If I were you I would not just skip straight to the section of contraception. Watch the ones before it as well. This is because the morals of the body must be viewed as a totality. You cannot understand Catholic opposition to homosexual acts, for example, if you donnot understand their opposition to contraception also.

I must also apologise for any spelling mistakes, mistakes of syntax (I'm awful at these, I'm afraid) and grammatical mistakes. God Bless you and I hope this helps. If anyone has any other questions I will do my upmost to answer them
Wow, epic post . Thanks for clearing that up, it actually makes a lot of sense. God bless .
adamrules247
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wow, epic post . Thanks for clearing that up, it actually makes a lot of sense. God bless .
Thanks It is a remarkably logical position but one that so few people understand properly. God Bless you

EDIT: I must apologise though for it being so sketchy
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (281)
27.5%
No (741)
72.5%

Watched Threads