The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
If I joined my ideal nun order, I think there would be no habits there either :ninja:

I mustn't tell my American friend; she would go bannanas.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I'm guessing monopoly, twister, card games etc.

Sounds like it should be fun! Though I've always been a bit shy for Twister :getmecoat:
:awesome: :rofl: :jebus:

PRSOM :sadnod:

On second thoughts - "Truth or Prayer"? Not sure how it would work, but the rhyme is too tempting to avoid.

(Ta for the rep - PRSOM to you Greenie! (Ok, I'm never calling you that again, that sounds waaay patronising!) :frown: )
Original post by EEngWillow
On second thoughts - "Truth or Prayer"? Not sure how it would work, but the rhyme is too tempting to avoid.

(Ta for the rep - PRSOM to you Greenie! (Ok, I'm never calling you that again, that sounds waaay patronising!) :frown: )

Plenty of people on here do call me greenie or geg.
I like greenie. It sounds likes genie :awesome:
I like greenie. It sounds likes genie :awesome:

I shall grant you three wishes...well to the best of my capabilities!
Plenty of people on here do call me greenie or geg.

Hmm. Ok then. Greenie it is!
Original post by EEngWillow
Hmm. Ok then. Greenie it is!

Okay :yep:
Original post by Nephilim

Spoiler

Spoiler

Wait, which one's Jesus again?
Original post by adamrules247
I agree that some people genuinely are curious, such as the person who initially asked about the Catholic Church's teaching (and after I gave it I was pleasantly suprised to have them say it made a lot of sense). However, I will not take lying down an attack on Holy Mother Church which is based on lies, the abuse of statistics and general nastiness. I'm sure you'll agree that the original post I responded to could have been worded a lot more pleasantly.

Of course, I don't condone her tone or language at all. And as I said, I can fully understand that you want to respond. It's perfectly resonable to respond, and respond strongly, whilst being respectful, loving, and peaceful.

1 Peter 3:9:
"Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing."
hey :smile: may I join?? :smile:
Reply 7630
Original post by Rebeccah1of4

Of course, welcome!
This thread needs a jump hug from some kittens

please rep some other members before repping this member again...
Original post by dreiviergrenadier

Amanda - it shouldn't surprise you that the Christian society is full of flawed people! It's certainly not a reason to avoid joining - you'd never join a church otherwise. The vast majority of conversation here is rather different in tone too. I hope you can change your mind at some point.

No, you're right. Maybe I'll change my mind later. But if a priest or Sunday school teacher at any church I've ever attended had said such a thing-which they have never-it would be considered totally unacceptable, let alone applauded. In fact some of my friends at university and I looked for a new church when we thought the priest devoted too much of his sermon to theological disagreements with Protestants. But for now I don't want to be in an environment where that attitude was applauded, especially about my own church.

Original post by Nephilim
Amanda, do not cast shame onto anyone, for shame is from Satan.

33 Be not deceived: Evil companionships corrupt good morals.

34 Awake to soberness righteously, and sin not; for some have no knowledge of God: I speak this to move you to shame.
1 Cor 15

Cicerao
Why should I? Because you are Catholic and now you are butthurt? Sorry, but I'm very pleased with myself. You're always free to go on Catholic Society, I'm not allowed on there.

No, that would imply that I gave any credence to your comment. What I find truly abhorrent is speaking that way about someone's faith, and I'd be just as disgusted if you'd said something similar about Islam. Let alone another Christian faith within the confines of the Christian society.

Also what is with your attitude? I just saw you telling someone they disgusted you. Now out of nowhere you post that comment. Do you want to live in a world where you are treated by people with the same thinly-veiled disdain and nasty tone? How can you be proud of that? Do you think that's how Christians are supposed to behave? Read through Eph 4:31-32, Ephesians 4:29, James 3:9-12, James 4:6.
And Romans 12:9-21.

Edit:
Original post by dreiviergrenadier
Of course, I don't condone her tone or language at all. And as I said, I can fully understand that you want to respond. It's perfectly resonable to respond, and respond strongly, whilst being respectful, loving, and peaceful.

1 Peter 3:9:
"Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing."

This too ^
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by amandacalifornia

This nasty, hateful, ignorant, unChristian comment and the rep/response it got on this thread, of all threads, is why I have not joined the TSR Christian society.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

pah, why does this thread always seem to descend into childish bickering. It's completely ridiculous, and really hacks me off.

How bout you all take the planks out your own eyes first yeah? And please try and act your age not your shoe size.
Original post by rainbowbex
pah, why does this thread always seem to descend into childish bickering. It's completely ridiculous, and really hacks me off.

How bout you all take the planks out your own eyes first yeah? And please try and act your age not your shoe size.

It happens with any thread on this forum :frown:
No, you're right. Maybe I'll change my mind later. But if a priest or Sunday school teacher at any church I've ever attended had said such a thing-which they have never-it would be considered totally unacceptable, let alone applauded. In fact some of my friends at university and I looked for a new church when we thought the priest devoted too much of his sermon to theological disagreements with Protestants. But for now I don't want to be in an environment where that attitude was applauded, especially about my own church.

This is why inter-denominational disputes are normally left to the 'Ask a Christian' thread, or elsewhere, so that we can get on with having some decent fellowship in here. There are at least a few Catholics here who don't regard themselves as being out of place, and I suspect that all the regular posters share a commitment towards being inclusive.

And please try and act your age not your shoe size.

That comment might confuse some of our more international posters :tongue:
I guess I'll throw this out there, straight from the talk I'm preparing for one of our lunchtime meetings at work! Seems apt at the moment.

Love God. Love Each Other. Love the World. These loves stand at the center of God’s great plan for us, that should ring true in our hearts.

Jesus said, ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” Mark 12:30-31

Love God:

This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 1 John 4:10

And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. 1 John 4:16

Your face, Lord, I will seek. Isaiah 55:3

Love Each Other:

My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. John 15:12-13

For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. Matt. 6:14

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs. Ephesians 4:29

Love The World:

As you go, share this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven is near.’ Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give. Matt. 10:7-8

Pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ; pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity.
Colossians. 4:3-5

If you spend yourself on behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness Isaiah 58:10

I somehow managed to ignore pretty much the whole thing and just had to read back to find out what was happening! I was too occupied with "Spin the Spirit Bottle" and "Truth or Prayer"!
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey guys :biggrin:
Original post by uzumaki1107
Hey guys :biggrin:

Original post by Rebeccah1of4

Hello to you both!

Latest

Trending

Trending