The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
what does he mean by 'he doesn't approve of women'. If he means that he doesn't approve with women preachers/vicars then I would agree with him. If you are a Bible based Christian, then that is what you will believe.
NJA
Yeah, please look at message #869

*chuckle* It must have been almost more effort for you to unearth post # 869 than it would have been to a) write instructions b) post a link :lolz:
ambiguous
what does he mean by 'he doesn't approve of women'. If he means that he doesn't approve with women preachers/vicars then I would agree with him. If you are a Bible based Christian, then that is what you will believe.

I am a Bible based Christian and I don't believe that :p: Your statement was fairly black and white. I believe truth is black and white. I don't believe that our ability to correctly interperet scripture is black and white. What I'm saying is..we need to be careful and humble when we read our Bible's and we need to seek to rely on the revelation of the Holy Spirit enlightening us as we read, rather than on our intellectual understanding of what it literally tells us!

Spoiler

Reply 883
Craghyrax
God could have physically created man first, and then later on breathed life into him and made him in his image.
So he was a corpse in the meantime ?
NJA
So he was a corpse in the meantime ?

Or.....an ape :wink: :p:

Spoiler

NJA
Does ANYONE believe in pre-adamic man or a local flood instead of Adam being the 1st man created and a global flood some 4 & a bit thousand years ago ?

Nope I believe the second one; though I'm open minded enough to admit that I could be wrong. But tbh I don't see why so many people still believe in evolution as if it were fact; there is definitely not enough evidence to prove or disprove it. Personally I think it makes more sense for evolution not to have happened (& it's not as if I'm rubbish at science...) but I don't feel like having a discussion about it atm...
How's it going with your Chem and Bio stuff AShiningLight? :smile:
Craghyrax
How's it going with your Chem and Bio stuff AShiningLight? :smile:

Lol I was just thinking of updating you on that last night! I wasn't able to change to Chemistry unless I took this year as a gap year, which I considered but I decided that I'd rather do Biomed for a year than work (even though I wasn't enjoying Biomed...). I'm about to change to Medical Biochemistry though, which has the same first year so I'm allowed to change to that straight away. I have no idea how much I'd enjoy it but I think that's where I'm being led atm. I'm in the middle of exams atm & am about to go to one right now (a Biology one *eek*). I'm actually kinda looking forward to going to lectures again(!), not because I enjoy them but because it prevents me from being cooped up in my room all day attempting to revise/being addicted to the internet, so I suppose that's a good sign, esp since all of last term I hated lectures... Now I'm settled more into uni I think this semester would be better albeit busier...
Ok :cool: I'm glad there's been some change. Medical Biochem is probably a good deal more chemical than the Bio stuff you're doing right now. I really enjoyed organic chem at A level.. I imagine it must be mostly along those lines! PM whenever you like :smile:
Does anybody know of a good church for a friend of mine studying at Sheffield? She's on the Alpha with me at the moment. Could I have any recommendations, and reasons you like the church in question?

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 890
Craghyrax
Does anybody know of a good church for a friend of mine studying at Sheffield? She's on the Alpha with me at the moment. Could I have any recommendations, and reasons you like the church in question?

I don't know Sheffield at all really - but I do have a Christian friend who went to university there (graduated last year, and is now doing mission work in Asia) who went to the "Crowded House" church - they said it was student friendly and had great teaching and opportunities for students to develop their gifts etc. It's a bit different to more traditional churches as they tend to meet in house groups a lot of the time - but my friend seemed to benefit from it and enjoy it! Try http://www.thecrowdedhouse.org/
philjw
I don't know Sheffield at all really - but I do have a Christian friend who went to university there (graduated last year, and is now doing mission work in Asia) who went to the "Crowded House" church - they said it was student friendly and had great teaching and opportunities for students to develop their gifts etc. It's a bit different to more traditional churches as they tend to meet in house groups a lot of the time - but my friend seemed to benefit from it and enjoy it! Try http://www.thecrowdedhouse.org/

Ahh cool! That sounds ideal! See I am part of a house church network myself, and Nicky visited one other church which freaked her out, and then came to mine and loved it. So that sounds really good!
Reply 892
Hi everyone

I'm studying at Lancaster Uni and next week we're having Mission Week, so we're hosting loads of events for non-Christians and really trying to spread the Gospel to people on campus- free lunchbars every day, and loads of other events that people can go along to. I just thought I'd make you aware of it, and it'd be great if you could remember it in your prayers!

God Bless
Reply 893
Herleif
i used to be x-ian does that count?
Many people who assume they were "Christian" because they were "confirmed" or believed the bible stories are not in fact Christian.

A christian is someone who has received the Holy Spirit because “christ” or “messiah” means “anointed one” and the anointing is the Holy Spirit
. . . you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.” (Romans 8v9)

Do you know if you ever actualy received the Holy Spirit ?
(they knew in the bible cos they spoke in tongues)
Reply 894
Craghyrax
Ahh cool! That sounds ideal! See I am part of a house church network myself, and Nicky visited one other church which freaked her out, and then came to mine and loved it. So that sounds really good!

Cool, glad to be of help!
Craghyrax

My friend studying at Sheffield has just found a church that he feels very happy with; it's called St Thomas Philadelphia. He's only been there once so far but he felt really blessed when he went so he's decided to stay there. They have services for young people/young adults in the evenings. Apparently it's a baptist/CofE :s-smilie:; dunno how that works...
A Shining Light
My friend studying at Sheffield has just found a church that he feels very happy with; it's called St Thomas Philadelphia. He's only been there once so far but he felt really blessed when he went so he's decided to stay there. They have services for young people/young adults in the evenings. Apparently it's a baptist/CofE :s-smilie:; dunno how that works...

Cheers! :biggrin:
Reply 897
can i join???? :biggrin:
emdo
can i join???? :biggrin:

Go make a request through the Socs link on the toolbar.
Hey, I'm wondering how the CU's in other peoples Universities are doing a "Mission Week". I put together a film for the University of Liverpool, Hope Uni, John Moores Uni and LIPA. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I8E3NWsdoM Let me know and how are other Mission Weeks happening?

Or if you aren't in the Uni's CU, have you been seeing posters around Uni for a Mission Week? lol

Latest

Trending

Trending