The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9000
Original post by tasha96
What is that sandwich! You must tell us! :drool:

haha it is (slightly crushed) meringue with mushed raspberries and cream :rolleyes:
Original post by Calumcalum
:awesome: I usually only stick around if there's a particularly interesting debate thread, but they're quite lacking recently :frown: Masses and masses of Medicine and non-Medicine work means I hardly have time! Good to see you too :biggrin:

Yea I agree, there threads are lacking. I feel like starting some but I hardly have time for long debates lately. =/

Original post by greeneyedgirl

Hmmm I guess if we phrased the OP in a certain way "Bible Study for those of the Christian faith or those interested in finding out more about God, for serious discussion of the study blah blah blah" anything else could be binned for spamming...

True... but we still couldn't stop someone from posting if they wanted to join in but weren't Christian. In the same way non-Christians can post here if they aren't inciting debate. This is a debate forum so to prevent people from posting on it just because they weren't Christian (and did genuinely add to discussion) would be kind of favouritism. I don't know if it would work, and you know how Religion is, when it comes to debates/trolls/hate. :sadnod:
Original post by Facticity
Yea I agree, there threads are lacking. I feel like starting some but I hardly have time for long debates lately. =/

True... but we still couldn't stop someone from posting if they wanted to join in but weren't Christian. In the same way non-Christians can post here if they aren't inciting debate. This is a debate forum so to prevent people from posting on it just because they weren't Christian (and did genuinely add to discussion) would be kind of favouritism. I don't know if it would work, and you know how Religion is, when it comes to debates/trolls/hate. :sadnod:

I would have no issue with non-Christians joining in with discussion if they were sticking to the bible study, always good to have a bit of an outreach programme, some of them may be genuinely interested after all...but I do get your point, could be tricky. Worth looking into though...
Original post by Josiea

oh wow! that's pretty cool :smile:
ooh kindle :awesome: I reckon it counts as much as listening to podcasts on ipods :smile: (very valuable tool to make you feel like you're doing something when really you're dozing off:biggrin:)

Actually, I dozed off on the bus with my kindle in hand yesterday. Woke to a panic about the ease of my kindle being snatched from my unconscious hands. It was alright though, at which point I tried to stay not doze off. Upon failing that, I put it away :tongue:
I would have no issue with non-Christians joining in with discussion if they were sticking to the bible study, always good to have a bit of an outreach programme, some of them may be genuinely interested after all...but I do get your point, could be tricky. Worth looking into though...

I shall have a look see :yes:
ARGH I SWEAR I'M REMEMBERING NOTHING OF WHAT I'M READING *starts running around like a headless chicken*
My final two pennies for Timothy... :cry2:

Wow. Just wow. I find the end of the letter just so touching in so many different ways. It reminds us again to watch out for false teachers who tell us what we want to hear rather than what we need to hear. It also drills home the fact that we can't just pick and choose the bits from the bible that we obey- we have to listen to all of it, we don't just suit our selfs. While these can both be hard things to accept sometimes they are vital for all of us.
Pauls continuing faith in God after so much pain and hardship is so amazing and we can see that he tries to kind of warn Timothy and remind him that while the suffering is bad at the time, it is necessary to bring the true word of god to the people and also that any suffering we have now is temporary. I agree with what has been said before- I find it almost impossible to fully get my head around eternity. This -I think- is one of the hardest things to remember when we suffer- and must have been especially hard for those people in the early church like Paul and Timothy who suffered more for the faith than most people ever have. Paul knows that his life is coming to an end and is so accepting of this. He is unbelievably calm about it and he is only looking to comfort/ ecourage Timothy. The encourgement and support of a friend in times of hardship is so important and must have been even more so for people like Timothy who were faced with so much opposition and hostility when they tried to spread the Good News. And the greetings from others at the end was so touching too. It was almost like reminding Timothy that he was not alone- there was others who had him in their thoughts and prayers.
I've learned so much from 2Timothy. It isn't a book of the Bible that I've read before but it's definetly one that I know I will come back to again. :smile:
Original post by Josiea
haha it is (slightly crushed) meringue with mushed raspberries and cream :rolleyes:

Ohh that can't be allowed! :coma:
Your making me hungry and I've just had my tea! :biggrin:

EDIT::sorry: Sorry I didn't read the previous post properly!!! I have now put my glasses back on and can clearly see that's a delicious looking pudding and not a delicious looking baguette. :facepalm:
(edited 12 years ago)

Same :frown: I did have a formal debate on the existence of God/truth of Christianity started but then read the Blackwell Companion to Natural Theology and now my mind's changed on all the arguments :awesome: All the topics which are semi-interesting have been done to death, and all the topics which are really interesting don't seem to provoke the same interest in anyone else :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tasha96
My final two pennies for Timothy... :cry2:

Wow. Just wow. I find the end of the letter just so touching in so many different ways. It reminds us again to watch out for false teachers who tell us what we want to hear rather than what we need to hear. It also drills home the fact that we can't just pick and choose the bits from the bible that we obey- we have to listen to all of it, we don't just suit our selfs. While these can both be hard things to accept sometimes they are vital for all of us.
Pauls continuing faith in God after so much pain and hardship is so amazing and we can see that he tries to kind of warn Timothy and remind him that while the suffering is bad at the time, it is necessary to bring the true word of god to the people and also that any suffering we have now is temporary. I agree with what has been said before- I find it almost impossible to fully get my head around eternity. This -I think- is one of the hardest things to remember when we suffer- and must have been especially hard for those people in the early church like Paul and Timothy who suffered more for the faith than most people ever have. Paul knows that his life is coming to an end and is so accepting of this. He is unbelievably calm about it and he is only looking to comfort/ ecourage Timothy. The encourgement and support of a friend in times of hardship is so important and must have been even more so for people like Timothy who were faced with so much opposition and hostility when they tried to spread the Good News. And the greetings from others at the end was so touching too. It was almost like reminding Timothy that he was not alone- there was others who had him in their thoughts and prayers.
I've learned so much from 2Timothy. It isn't a book of the Bible that I've read before but it's definetly one that I know I will come back to again. :smile:

Yay glad you got so much out of it!
Reply 9010
Original post by tasha96
Ohh that can't be allowed! :coma:
Your making me hungry and I've just had my tea! :biggrin:

I'm making myself hungry because I can't eat any until my mum comes home :cry2:

Same :frown: I did have a formal debate on the existence of God/truth of Christianity started but then read the Blackwell Companion to Natural Theology and now my mind's changed on all the arguments :awesome: All the topics which are semi-interesting have been done to death, and all the topics which are really interesting don't seem to provoke the same interest in anyone else :tongue:

I saw your thread on my phone when I was at work and was thinking on it all day. I'd have to say, all modal and non-modal ontologicals fail. For the reasons Kant outlined. Ontological arguments rely too much on semantic content, especially Plantigna's. The other one, I had never seen and confused me quite a bit when I read it. I'll do a more detailed response a bit later, want to rest my brain for a bit :tongue:

Your mind changed on all positions? That's quite a good book :lolwut: I haven't had much time for reading though, currently (slowly) reading Thus Spake Zarathustra. Oh Nietzsche :daydreaming:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Josiea
I'm making myself hungry because I can't eat any until my mum comes home :cry2:

You mean your going to have to wait! But It'll be shouting at you! :eek:
You have got so much more self control than me! I always have to test things several times before I share them out- you know- just to make sure they're all right. :ninja:
I saw your thread on my phone when I was at work and was thinking on it all day. I'd have to say, all modal and non-modal ontologicals fail. For the reasons Kant outlined. Ontological arguments rely too much on semantic content, especially Plantigna's. The other one, I had never seen and confused me quite a bit when I read it. I'll do a more detailed response a bit later, want to rest my brain for a bit :tongue:

Neo-Kantian objections are my main problem too - though I think the modal ones almost all avoid Kant's original objection. Kant has to be rehashed quite substantially to refute them, and in some cases I'm not sure they can be refuted (especially Hartshorne's). I'm agnostic on Plantinga's though.

Your mind changed on all positions? That's quite a good book :lolwut: I haven't had much time for reading though, currently (slowly) reading Thus Spake Zarathustra. Oh Nietzsche :daydreaming:

Not on everything :awesome: I think I'd major on fine tuning now, and I'm more convinced of ontological arguments. I'm more convinced of Kalam, and think the resurrection is way stronger than before. Still not sure what to think of the argument from reason though :frown: Nietzsche ought to be fun :biggrin:
:console:

Breath through the anger :yep:

It's ok, I'm calm again. Kinda.

Original post by Josiea
This will cheer you up -
Although it is important to remember that it is what is on the inside that counts :tongue: and it has a pink filling :biggrin: (which I am not now eating from the bowl of course..)

What's wrong with your job?

Ooooh, scrumptious! :smile:

There's nothing actually wrong with my job per se, I just have too much work to do and not enough time to actually do it...
Yay glad you got so much out of it!

Thank you soooo much for doing it! :jumphug:

Neo-Kantian objections are my main problem too - though I think the modal ones almost all avoid Kant's original objection. Kant has to be rehashed quite substantially to refute them, and in some cases I'm not sure they can be refuted (especially Hartshorne's). I'm agnostic on Plantinga's though.

My interest is piqued :beard: I have never been a fan of ontological, or any of the "proofs" if I'm being honest. Though, I haven't stretched into the depths of the depths either. I'll have a look and reply later,don't want to spam this thread with our crazy jargon :ninja:

Not on everything :awesome: I think I'd major on fine tuning now, and I'm more convinced of ontological arguments. I'm more convinced of Kalam, and think the resurrection is way stronger than before. Still not sure what to think of the argument from reason though :frown: Nietzsche ought to be fun :biggrin:

Hmmm, I think I'll pick this book up then. If its enough to convince you, then I would venture to say its worth a read. I'm on the fence for arguments from reason as well, natural (biological) arguments are the main barrier I would guess. I don't particularly take to fine tuning though. You seem to be quite focused on the logic side of apologetics but I can't see where fine tuning would fit in though. Not to say I reject it, I just haven't looked into it a great deal. To be honest, my philosophy is of more contemporary issues than theological but I am keen to get into the latter as well.

Nietzsche is fun, aphorisms give me daily giggles. "Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent" :rofl: Too true.
Original post by EEngWillow
It's ok, I'm calm again. Kinda.

Ooooh, scrumptious! :smile:

There's nothing actually wrong with my job per se, I just have too much work to do and not enough time to actually do it...

:jumphug: :jumphug: rant away!

Original post by tasha96
Thank you soooo much for doing it! :jumphug:

Seriously no problem :yep:
:jumphug: :jumphug: rant away!

Seriously no problem :yep:

:smile: It's fine, I'm all calm now. Fankoo for hugs tho'.
Reply 9019
Just want to say a massive thank you to everyone for their prayers... God really has got through placement and what more he's done it with a good grade :woo: so happy.

Latest

Trending

Trending