The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 22KT22
Just want to say a massive thank you to everyone for their prayers... God really has got through placement and what more he's done it with a good grade :woo: so happy.

YAY! Though, whilst this testifies to the glory and graciousness of God, you must take some credit for your own hard work and give yourself a big pat on the back :yep:
Reply 9021
The_Lonely_Goatherd

What's happening in New Cross tonight...or are you back in the family home? :smile:
Original post by yawn
What's happening in New Cross tonight...or are you back in the family home? :smile:

I'm back at home, snuggled up in bed :biggrin: Though I was there in the late morning and afternoon. Nothing was going on afaik :dontknow:
Original post by EEngWillow
:smile: It's fine, I'm all calm now. Fankoo for hugs tho'.

Yay glad you're okay! I've just eaten and really should do more revision now...:cry:

Original post by 22KT22
Just want to say a massive thank you to everyone for their prayers... God really has got through placement and what more he's done it with a good grade :woo: so happy.

YAY sooooo happy for you!
Reply 9024
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm back at home, snuggled up in bed :biggrin: Though I was there in the late morning and afternoon. Nothing was going on afaik :dontknow:

You should get yourself out of that bed and journey on down to the Amersham Arms...'cos that's where it''s happening, innit it? :biggrin:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Yay glad you're okay! I've just eaten and really should do more revision now...:cry:

YAY sooooo happy for you!

:console: It'll be worth it. Or you could stay here and chat with us :P
:console: It'll be worth it. Or you could stay here and chat with us :P

It won't be worth it. NOTHING IS GOING IN!!!!
It won't be worth it. NOTHING IS GOING IN!!!!

Well you might as well give up and stay here then! :jumphug:
Original post by yawn
You should get yourself out of that bed and journey on down to the Amersham Arms...'cos that's where it''s happening, innit it? :biggrin:

I've not been in there yet :ninja: :eek: :getmecoat:
Well you might as well give up and stay here then! :jumphug:

Gonna watch an hour of TV and doss on here then work hard!
Original post by Facticity
My interest is piqued :beard: I have never been a fan of ontological, or any of the "proofs" if I'm being honest. Though, I haven't stretched into the depths of the depths either. I'll have a look and reply later,don't want to spam this thread with our crazy jargon :ninja:

OK :smile: I don't think many of the arguments work as proofs either, I think they have more evidential force. I have no idea what the role of the ontological is...

Hmmm, I think I'll pick this book up then. If its enough to convince you, then I would venture to say its worth a read

I was already convinced of the arguments it helped with, but it is seriously the book on Philosophy of Religion to get. So good (though judging by other reviews this is perhaps because I read the best chapters first...)!

I'm on the fence for arguments from reason as well, natural (biological) arguments are the main barrier I would guess.

My problem is that I don't know what the conclusion would be - all I can show is that all worldviews boil down to coherence rather than external justification, but I don't know how I'd squeeze an argument for God out of it.

I don't particularly take to fine tuning though. You seem to be quite focused on the logic side of apologetics but I can't see where fine tuning would fit in though. Not to say I reject it, I just haven't looked into it a great deal. To be honest, my philosophy is of more contemporary issues than theological but I am keen to get into the latter as well.

Fine tuning is the most beautiful argument ever. Though not deductive versions :wink:

Nietzsche is fun, aphorisms give me daily giggles. "Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent" :rofl: Too true.

Truedat :ahee:
Gonna watch an hour of TV and doss on here then work hard!

That's an hour of TV, an hour of dossing and then working hard, right? :tongue:
My thoughts on the last bit of 2 Timothy:

Poor Paul. You just wanna give the guy a hug, being deserted by all his friends and suffering alone :frown:

This recurring idea of false teachers intrigues me. Like I think I said the other day, I'm not sure that I've experienced any false teaching per se. I've certainly seen false witness to Christ and the values He taught us in my life and on this forum. Whilst I don't necessarily doubt his teaching, I do not think my parish priest is a man of God at all :no: I have been fortunate enough to see, hear and feel the Holy Spirit in other priests though (mainly in Oxford, both Catholic and Anglican) and I take great comfort in that :yes: Talk of false teaching makes me thankful for the head of my secondary school. She is faithful to Church teaching but a seriously kick-ass feminist nun. She was a real inspiration and showed me how Christians can live and spread their values in the real world :yep:

2 Timothy 4:3 struck a chord with me because I have an awful tendency to seek affirmation from others, in all matters of life. I always long to hear what I want to hear, which isn't necessarily the best way to approach life. Something I have been learning over the past two years is that affirmation needs to come from both God and myself: I can't look to others for it. Similarly then, maybe I need to not look to priests or the Bible to tell me what I want to hear, but rather what I need to hear :yes:

In all honesty, I don't think of standing in the presence of God much, nor the second coming/end of the world. At various points in the day, I turn my attention to God or become aware of His presence :yes: If people looked at me, would they know I am waiting for God? I feel only two people in the world know the real me and those two people know with full certainty that I am waiting for God :smile: To others it might not be particularly obvious :nah:

If I died tonight, could I say 2 Timothy 4:7? Well that depends really on how you see me. I don't claim to be a particularly good or reverent Catholic but I think my own personal faith journey over the last 2 years - the things I have heard, seen, felt and borne witness to - mean that yes, I could say these things :smile:

2 Timothy has got me thinking about false teaching. It's an interesting area :yes:
That's an hour of TV, an hour of dossing and then working hard, right? :tongue:

NOOOO MUST DO LOADSA WORK AND OWN THIS STUPID EXAM!

My thoughts on the last bit of 2 Timothy:

Poor Paul. You just wanna give the guy a hug, being deserted by all his friends and suffering alone :frown:

This recurring idea of false teachers intrigues me. Like I think I said the other day, I'm not sure that I've experienced any false teaching per se. I've certainly seen false witness to Christ and the values He taught us in my life and on this forum. Whilst I don't necessarily doubt his teaching, I do not think my parish priest is a man of God at all :no: I have been fortunate enough to see, hear and feel the Holy Spirit in other priests though (mainly in Oxford, both Catholic and Anglican) and I take great comfort in that :yes: Talk of false teaching makes me thankful for the head of my secondary school. She is faithful to Church teaching but a seriously kick-ass feminist nun. She was a real inspiration and showed me how Christians can live and spread their values in the real world :yep:

2 Timothy 4:3 struck a chord with me because I have an awful tendency to seek affirmation from others, in all matters of life. I always long to hear what I want to hear, which isn't necessarily the best way to approach life. Something I have been learning over the past two years is that affirmation needs to come from both God and myself: I can't look to others for it. Similarly then, maybe I need to not look to priests or the Bible to tell me what I want to hear, but rather what I need to hear :yes:

In all honesty, I don't think of standing in the presence of God much, nor the second coming/end of the world. At various points in the day, I turn my attention to God or become aware of His presence :yes: If people looked at me, would they know I am waiting for God? I feel only two people in the world know the real me and those two people know with full certainty that I am waiting for God :smile: To others it might not be particularly obvious :nah:

If I died tonight, could I say 2 Timothy 4:7? Well that depends really on how you see me. I don't claim to be a particularly good or reverent Catholic but I think my own personal faith journey over the last 2 years - the things I have heard, seen, felt and borne witness to - mean that yes, I could say these things :smile:

2 Timothy has got me thinking about false teaching. It's an interesting area :yes:

Sounds like you got really useful stuff out of it :ahee:
Sounds like you got really useful stuff out of it :ahee:

:yep: :awesome: :yeah:
Argh feeling stressed :frown: :frown:
Argh feeling stressed :frown: :frown:

Oh no! Why? Do you wanna PM me about if, if it's too personal to write here? :console:
Oh no! Why? Do you wanna PM me about if, if it's too personal to write here? :console:

Nah it's just exams. I get worried about exams. Also should tackle flatmate about heating but don't want to get into a strop night before exam...ARGH
Nah it's just exams. I get worried about exams. Also should tackle flatmate about heating but don't want to get into a strop night before exam...ARGH

:hugs:

Have started a rosary for the intention of your exams :yes:
:hugs:

Have started a rosary for the intention of your exams :yes:

Can't decide whether to mention it to flatmate or not...but she has literally put heating on for 10 hours now and it's just ridiculous!

Latest

Trending

Trending