Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Uhuh. Its the chosen avatar for the 'Christian Apologetics Society' (look at 'My Societies' or in the soc list)
    Ah, indeed it is. What a lovely example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShinyApple)
    Yawn. I got to page 7 and got tired and found no new relevance. So I figured I'd enlighten.

Yawn. There you go folks.

I know some of you already knew, but that is the reason. Have you good Christians not seen the X and the P wrapped up?

Anyways, much love to the faith bearers.
    Lol I wrote that agesss ago! Tbh I don't mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawQueen)
    Lol I wrote that agesss ago! Tbh I don't mind.

I got to page 7!

:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShinyApple)
    I got to page 7!

:p:
    Lol fair enough, I never have time to read these threads so I skip to the end! I'm sure this is just an online version of a Christian Union so it's pretty easy to fill yourself in.

Speaking of CU, any new execs on committee? We've just had changeover, I'm serving as evang sec.

God Bless xxx

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, quite a few of my friends have recently become exec, we changed over halfway through this term, they're doing a really good job.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone on here studies/has studied Theology at university? I was thinking of switching to study it next year at Nottingham. How do you find it as a Christian studying Theology in a largely secular context?
    I'm in the last few months of my BTh at chester - and it really depends on the uni, to be honest, but either way theology can be an act of worship.

Theology is about asking questions, about God, faith, reason, society, humanity, meaning, etc - how you answer them is up to you, and cannot be blamed on any 'secular' context. Which is why I get annoyed at (evangelicals, usually) those who say that theology ruins your faith.

Trust God, be challenged, pray and be changed - for the better.

Nathan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanL)
    Theology is about asking questions, about God, faith, reason, society, humanity, meaning, etc - how you answer them is up to you, and cannot be blamed on any 'secular' context. Which is why I get annoyed at (evangelicals, usually) those who say that theology ruins your faith.

Nathan
    hear, hear!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanL)

i agree with this

i'm going to study theology next yr but i all ready have quite a knowledge about the subject and i've found that theology has help to install any faith i have now. this faith may not be a christian faith for certian, in fact i dont think i can attach it to a religion, but it is a faith none the less, and it stays a faith becuse i challenge it constantly. that what faith is by definition. i cant see how people can say that by questioning your faith or others that ruins faith, if anything you cannot have faith without questions!

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody here read Red Moon Rising?

ReputationRep:
    Just a bit of a heart warming story. Before easter, at Loughborough Uni, we had two Christian Unions, one affiliated with UCCF and one (the bigger one probably) was not. After a lot of praying, and setting aside historical differences, we are now one, and spreading the gospel more effectively than ever.

ReputationRep:
    :five:

Now.. *cough* have you read it? :p:

ReputationRep:
    I haven't... what's it about? I may want to add it to my ever-growing Christian reading list...

ReputationRep:
    Its a very catalytic witness about 24/7 prayer. Everybody who's read it has raved on about it..and I've just started it.Think the biggest thing about it is that its just very inspirational in terms of looking at what God can and does do through us, and boosting faith :king1:

ReputationRep:
    Hm, I've read some very inspiring reports on the 24/7 website - the thing I would be a bit wary of though is the temptation to think that there's something special about the 24/7 style of praying that "makes God listen more" than other forms of prayer. Though if it gets more people praying - excellent!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read 'Red Moon Rising'. My cu are doing a 24-7 prayer week soon, which sounds really exciting ...

Do any of you know of any good lively churches in Middlesbrough? My big brother lives there atm & we're trying to get him stuck into a church!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philjw)
    Hm, I've read some very inspiring reports on the 24/7 website - the thing I would be a bit wary of though is the temptation to think that there's something special about the 24/7 style of praying that "makes God listen more" than other forms of prayer. Though if it gets more people praying - excellent!
    Well quite, but reading a book isn't going to brainwash you. If you know what you believe then your own discernment will stop you from going for any silly fads. The book isn't like that at all. I don't think 24/7 is a style either. I think people tend to marginalise 'praying' in their minds as time spent entirely alone seeking God..which isn't the case. It wouldn't be possible for us to 'pray without ceasing' as Scripture suggests unless God was more a part of our everyday activities. For me 24/7 prayer or anything along those lines means being conscious of God all the time, including him in my thoughts, being sensitive to him as I go about doing things and keeping two way communication going all the time. I think its possible because many have done that before, and its exciting how much God is able to act/speak when he has that room in our lives. So yeh..I didn't feel the book was trying to propagate a method or an action of any sort.. I think it was more about giving a recount of some exciting things that had happened through peoples' lives and what they'd learnt from it :king1:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Shining Light)
    I haven't read 'Red Moon Rising'. My cu are doing a 24-7 prayer week soon, which sounds really exciting ...

Do any of you know of any good lively churches in Middlesbrough? My big brother lives there atm & we're trying to get him stuck into a church!
    Don't know of any, sorry
    How's your youth group doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Well quite, but reading a book isn't going to brainwash you. If you know what you believe then your own discernment will stop you from going for any silly fads. The book isn't like that at all. I don't think 24/7 is a style either. I think people tend to marginalise 'praying' in their minds as time spent entirely alone seeking God..which isn't the case. It wouldn't be possible for us to 'pray without ceasing' as Scripture suggests unless God was more a part of our everyday activities. For me 24/7 prayer or anything along those lines means being conscious of God all the time, including him in my thoughts, being sensitive to him as I go about doing things and keeping two way communication going all the time. I think its possible because many have done that before, and its exciting how much God is able to act/speak when he has that room in our lives. So yeh..I didn't feel the book was trying to propagate a method or an action of any sort.. I think it was more about giving a recount of some exciting things that had happened through peoples' lives and what they'd learnt from it :king1:
    Sure, I wasn't suggesting it was I love reading inspiring true stories of how God is at work in the world. The reservations were more to do with some of the things I've heard (or heard reported) some of the 24/7 people claim about prayer.

As for 'pray without ceasing' - yeah, I don't think you can take that to mean "consciously speak to God 24 hours a day". I'd take it to mean "pray (speak to God) regularly and stick at it" but the idea that we should do all things to the glory of God is found in many other places in Scripture, so you're not wrong either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philjw)
    Sure, I wasn't suggesting it was I love reading inspiring true stories of how God is at work in the world. The reservations were more to do with some of the things I've heard (or heard reported) some of the 24/7 people claim about prayer.
    Most things can turn bad if we incorporate them into a list of rules to be flawlessly obeyed in order to be holy.. Haven't heard anything much about the movement myself, but I could imagine people turning it that way

ReputationRep:
    Shining light, I come from middlesbrough (ish). I have links with churches there. pm me!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2011
Poll
Do you have any savings?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.