TSR Christian Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
superted2708
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Heya everyone, been off the student room for a while now but I've just noticed I've been accepted as a member on here which is great :-)
I also wanted to say that last time I posted on here I was trying to get my head around religion as, after a few events in my life I'd started questioning my faith and I found I needed to question it. Since then I've had an amazing time at uni and although I haven't yet started going to church regularly (mainly due to the fact that I don't really no what church to go to!) I will be starting soon and I am much more sure of myself and am so glad I have found the time to explore my faith as it were. So thanks anyone who gave me advice on here!
:-)
Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Cool Superted :five:

Have you asked around to see if there are any small youth groups/bible studies..maybe even the CU? Might be a good starting point before picking a church. Might be more informal and relaxed, and you could meet some nice people :dontknow:

Also..there are probably also Alpha courses and the like up and running near you. Those are always good fun
superted2708
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yeh my friend is involved with the cu and I have been along to a few more informal meetings (a bbq for one!) but I'll have to ask about youth groups as that could be useful!
What are alpha courses then? I've not actually heard of them before!
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Alpha is a course that explores Christianity and covers the main principles and ideas behind it. Its usually done in small groups with discussion for a few weeks. They're free, and there should be links on that page to where the nearest one to you is.
A Shining Light
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by superted2708)
I also wanted to say that last time I posted on here I was trying to get my head around religion as, after a few events in my life I'd started questioning my faith and I found I needed to question it. Since then I've had an amazing time at uni and although I haven't yet started going to church regularly (mainly due to the fact that I don't really no what church to go to!) I will be starting soon and I am much more sure of myself and am so glad I have found the time to explore my faith as it were. So thanks anyone who gave me advice on here!
:-)
Woo I'm very happy for ya .

Last October I had to go church hunting since I started uni & I ended up finding somewhere I felt was right for me pretty quickly . The people in cu were very helpful in suggesting churches & visiting churches with me, so I'd say ask around at cu.
Sir Esh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Craghyrax)
Alpha is a course that explores Christianity and covers the main principles and ideas behind it. Its usually done in small groups with discussion for a few weeks. They're free, and there should be links on that page to where the nearest one to you is.
I co-led an Alpha course aimed at people my age. :cool: well, my age a few years ago. They're good fun, as Craggy said, and give you the opportunity to dig as deep into whichever area interests you the most / gives you the most trouble, and generally to explore the faith. Plus you can meet some cool people In a group also means you'll be introduced to ideas you never considered before, and in some areas you'll be a help to the others doing the course too! win-win-win situation :p:
superted2708
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ah brill well I looked it up and they are running an Aplha course in my uni starting this October so once I'm back from Summer I shall be giving it a go!! Cheers for telling me about it, sounds like a good idea to me :-D
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No worries :five: Keep us posted
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sir Esh)
I co-led an Alpha course aimed at people my age. :cool: well, my age a few years ago. They're good fun, as Craggy said, and give you the opportunity to dig as deep into whichever area interests you the most / gives you the most trouble, and generally to explore the faith. Plus you can meet some cool people In a group also means you'll be introduced to ideas you never considered before, and in some areas you'll be a help to the others doing the course too! win-win-win situation :p:
I went through the material on a one on one basis with one of my best mates when she started to develop and interest. She's now a christian. I found it really helpful, and it was great for me too to go over things again and think about them in a different light.
jan_123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hello all. Can I join this society?

Any Christians from London?
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Find the society on the Soc list (blue toolbar above) and click 'join'
city_chic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm a Christian
city_chic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just wondering, is marrying a fellow Christian/virgin important for people here?
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by city_chic)
Just wondering, is marrying a fellow Christian/virgin important for people here?
Yes.. to the former that is.
Elanor_Gamgee
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes.. to the former that is.
ditto
Ana
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No to the former (though it is important that I marry someone who's happy to have a Christian wife, and a stab at a Godly marriage).

The latter is, frankly, none of my business (provided he hadn't picked up any STDs and not realised :p:)...
philjw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Very much so to the former. Marriage is, among other things, supposed to be a reflection of Christ's love for the Church, and I don't think I would be able to reflect that relationship with a nonbelieving wife.
Secondly, if I get married my wife will have to be the person I love the second most after Christ - my first love. I would expect my wife to take the same attitude with me and be disappointed if she didn't put Christ first. It would make serving God together very difficult!
Thirdly, I don't think marriage with non-believers is sanctioned by Scripture. 1 Corinthians assumes the only marriages where only one partner is a believer arise when both partners were unconverted at marriage and only one subsequently becomes a believer. Paul exhorts Christian women to marry only believers and presumably that cuts both ways (i.e. Christian men shouldn't marry non-Christian women). 1 Cor 6:14 also tells us not to be "unequally yoked" which I take to mean (in the context of the passage) to not marry nonbelievers.
So I wouldn't even consider marrying a non-Christian!

As for the second question - obviously people make mistakes and God forgives Christians for all of their sins. I'm not going to say that I wouldn't marry a non-virgin Christian. But I think things like that can still cause disappointment and problems in marriage. Without going into too much detail, I know Christian couples who have been in that kind of situation and it's caused a lot of heartache even though they are really in love and have a strong marriage.

Purity matters - don't let the world tell you that it doesn't. As Christians we are called to be counter-cultural and holy in all of our relationships, inclusing romantic ones.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I agree with many of philjw's points on the first issue.
For myself, my relationship with God is one of the most significant things to me personally, and the most certain truths I know and conviction I experience is in the things that he says to me and lays on my heart. How could I marry an unbeliever? :confused: It would be like cutting myself in half! The person would never be able to truly understand or share my passion or my conviction so I would have the pain and agony of a) not being respected/perhaps being resented/misunderstood by my husband, and b) having to build a wall (by default) between the two of us whenever I had to follow what was in my heart despite his opinion! Gah! :afraid: How could there be a total trust between the two? I couldn't trust an unbeliever to make the wisest choice in every important decision! He wouldn't trust me not to have priorities that he would prob perceive to be batty.

Additionally scripture strongly suggests that the role of a man is to be the spiritual head/leader in the house. It would be hard to respect my husband if I felt that he wasn't as mature as me spiritually, or that he wasn't taking the lead or encouraging/helping me to grow! I'd feel like a single parent!
Ana
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I agree with many of philjw's points on the first issue.
For myself, my relationship with God is one of the most significant things to me personally, and the most certain truths I know and conviction I experience is in the things that he says to me and lays on my heart. How could I marry an unbeliever? :confused: It would be like cutting myself in half! The person would never be able to truly understand or share my passion or my conviction so I would have the pain and agony of a) not being respected/perhaps being resented/misunderstood by my husband, and b) having to build a wall (by default) between the two of us whenever I had to follow what was in my heart despite his opinion! Gah! :afraid: How could there be a total trust between the two? I couldn't trust an unbeliever to make the wisest choice in every important decision! He wouldn't trust me not to have priorities that he would prob perceive to be batty.

Additionally scripture strongly suggests that the role of a man is to be the spiritual head/leader in the house. It would be hard to respect my husband if I felt that he wasn't as mature as me spiritually, or that he wasn't taking the lead or encouraging/helping me to grow! I'd feel like a single parent!
I don't think it's true to say that they can never understand.

For me, I think it would feel quite bizarre to marry a believer, tbh. My faith is so private to me, and I'm so accustomed to not being able to talk about it, that even talking about it at church just feels... wierd. And I've been church-going for 5 and a half years now

Half the time, I can't even think how to phrase it in English - it's inexpressible (or at least, not in any way other than the way I use when I pray)
Montrose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hey everyone! End of another academic year so I thought I would deliver some words of encouragement.

This has been my fresher year at Loughborough Uni, and I have literally come from a spiritual black hole to a place where I feel part of a community, where God is doing things in me and with me, and that we as a human race are about to take a massive step forward. I am part of an amazing house church which is teaching me so much, and an active member of the Christian Union which is fantastic for fellowship. To all those going to Uni next year, get involved with your CU and get yourself a church which you are an active part of. God is amazing, he created us to do his bidding, each and every human has a role to play. Give him a chance by praying, and listening, and aspiring to be like Jesus Christ, and he will help you in ways you never think possible, and more importantly, he will work through you so that more people than ever before can be saved.

Alex
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (65)
26.86%
No (177)
73.14%

Watched Threads