Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by EEngWillow)

I think it's a really really nice idea
    Thank you, but the idea came originally from a Christian newspaper ad that I was reading.

It detailed the work that is done by this Christian Charity (Passage) and I was moved when I put it in the context of all the homeless at Christmas and the deprivations that homelessness meant for them.

Members of my own Church give up some of their own family time (with their family's approval, of course) to help prepare Christmas meals and serve them to the homeless. It's part of a local Christian initiative and brings all Christian Churches together on the days over Christmas, including Christmas and Boxing Day.

Passage has no parish affiliation and serves the wider London community of homeless people.

I got to thinking how I would like to offer some monetary help for them to provide our brothers and sisters with a semblance of the customs surrounding the joyous time of Christ's birth...but I am on meagre means. I prayed over this and received inspiration and help from God to make my decision. It came into my mind that by involving my loved ones in this sacrifice, they too would be helping the least of our brothers/sisters and gaining grace themselves.

It has a triple whammy effect!
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I love the reindeer
    They looked better IRL :yep:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I love the reindeer
    :ditto: :awesome:

(Original post by yawn)
    Christmas charity
    It's always wonderful when the Holy Spirit works through us, especially at liturgically important times of the year. My sister worked in a soup kitchen one Christmas Eve and found it very rewarding.

With regard to the meagre means: remember that story of the woman who put only two coins in at the synagogue (or wherever it was)... but those were the only two coins she had :yes:

The Association of Sri Lankan Catholics in the UK does a pilgrimage to Israel at this time of year. Midnight Mass on Christmas Day is celebrated in the Church of the Nativity. It's very popular and I would love to go, but it costs a good £900 or so Maybe one year, once I'm working, I can save enough to take my mum and go (I know this is a bit random, but your "meagre means" line reminded me of this)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    It was tasty :yep:

BTW here are my Christmas nails...
    Hmm...7/10 because you made an effort, I guess...

I'm just back from handing out Christmas cards to all the neighbours, sheesh, only a week away. I cannot wait for the Christmas dinner...
    Dad has two steak pies, and a chicken in the fridge too, so I know that they have to be eaten somewhere between now and then. This week is going to be a good week.

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Grey mushy sludge is NASTY :sadnod:
    Update on my great-uncle Joe, who had the suspected stroke a few weeks ago: he's out of intensive care! Praise the Lord! :woo: :jebus: :woo:
    Wonderful news, TLG. Glad he's getting better. <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    I got to thinking how I would like to offer some monetary help for them to provide our brothers and sisters with a semblance of the customs surrounding the joyous time of Christ's birth...but I am on meagre means. I prayed over this and received inspiration and help from God to make my decision. It came into my mind that by involving my loved ones in this sacrifice, they too would be helping the least of our brothers/sisters and gaining grace themselves.

It has a triple whammy effect!
    Wow :awesome:

They looked better IRL :yep:
    Ye well, I can't see them IRL
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Hmm...7/10 because you made an effort, I guess...

I'm just back from handing out Christmas cards to all the neighbours, sheesh, only a week away. I cannot wait for the Christmas dinner...
    Dad has two steak pies, and a chicken in the fridge too, so I know that they have to be eaten somewhere between now and then. This week is going to be a good week.

Wonderful news, TLG. Glad he's getting better. &lt;3
    I was vaguely distracted while painting them as watching movie...

Wow :awesome:

Ye well, I can't see them IRL
    Indeed you can't cos I've painted new ones on to match dress last night

ReputationRep:
    I was vaguely distracted while painting them as watching movie...

noo you painted over them?! They were so cute

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking more because as good as my eyesight is, I can't see all the way up to Glasgow! Although your point certainly has merit...
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Josiea)
    noo you painted over them?! They were so cute
    But they didn't match my dress for the even last night

I was thinking more because as good as my eyesight is, I can't see all the way up to Glasgow! Although your point certainly has merit...
    Well you should improve your eyesight.

ReputationRep:

that looks very nice you could've put some tinsel on though and then its a Christmas theme so the nails match perfectly

ReputationRep:

Well you should improve your eyesight.
    :fan:

I know. It's totally out of order that I can't see across a whole country!
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Josiea)
    that looks very nice you could've put some tinsel on though and then its a Christmas theme so the nails match perfectly
    Ha ha not sure tinsel would have suited the black tie event...SO MANY KILTS :drool:

:fan:

I know. It's totally out of order that I can't see across a whole country!

It is out of order (says the person who needs glasses to see everything)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Well aren't you pretty! :yep: Though I am also disappointed that the lovely Christmas nails have gone

Thanks, Hype en Ecosse :hugs:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Well aren't you pretty! :yep: Though I am also disappointed that the lovely Christmas nails have gone

Thanks, Hype en Ecosse :hugs:
    Aww thanks hun

ReputationRep:

It is out of order (says the person who needs glasses to see everything)
    Haha. I do wish I could see immensely far, but at the same time I think being able to see that much could easily feel more like a curse...

ReputationRep:
    I'm disappointed about the nails, but that dress is pretty beautiful! (Err, and the person wearing it ofc...)

EDIT: I swear I clicked Edit on my last post.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Haha. I do wish I could see immensely far, but at the same time I think being able to see that much could easily feel more like a curse...
    I'm disappointed about the nails, but that dress is pretty beautiful! (Err, and the person wearing it ofc...)

EDIT: I swear I clicked Edit on my last post.
    It could indeed be a curse :yep: aww thanks hun £2 primark dress in sale...BARGAIN! Could barely breathe in it though.

ReputationRep:
    It could indeed be a curse :yep: aww thanks hun £2 primark dress in sale...BARGAIN! Could barely breathe in it though.
    £2?! No way!

So anyway, couldn't be bothered to try the brandy snaps today, I'll make them tomorrow...
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    £2?! No way!

So anyway, couldn't be bothered to try the brandy snaps today, I'll make them tomorrow...
    I know! Absolute bargain! I've worn it for two posh events with ceilidhs now so like £1 per wear at the minute :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I know! Absolute bargain! I've worn it for two posh events with ceilidhs now so like £1 per wear at the minute :awesome:
    That's astonishingly good value, even for Primark. I really need a new set of shirts. And a pair of shoes, the only smart shoes I have are falling apart! Not so good for wearing to work on the days where I'm meeting with the MoD / Army etc...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2011
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.