Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Christian Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What kind of a Youth Group are you looking for? A Locally Church one?

Hey that's just made me think, is anyone here going to a camp thingy in Somerset called Soul Survivor?

Fruitcakex, there's a whooooole number of sections/seminars/groups who focus on Missionary work in places of poverty, for people on Gap Years especially.
    It's about 80 quid for the week me thinks. [August] Maybe you'll find something there?

Becca <3.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I was thinking of going to imagine in inverurie near aberdeen in august - but i can't make the week its on nomore - theres always next year!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard/know of TeenStreet? Organised by OM, held in Germany. It's basically a youth conference, with 3-4K participants, 13-17 year olds from across the globe. It'll be starting tomorrow, and it's the first time since I first went that I won't be going (Too old! ).

If anyone's in that age group I would highly recommend it.
    www.teenstreet.om.org - as the week goes on you'll be able to see pics / videos and clips of the "Mainhall events".

..just since we're talking about camps and things

ReputationRep:
    Gone a bit dry this thread hasn't it?

Well here's something to ponder on.

How do Christians (freshers ) cope with Freshers Week without seeming extremely narrow-minded?

ReputationRep:
    My Freshers Week was non-christian based. All my immediate friends were non-christian but it was fine. I still went out with everyone and no one batted an eyebrow if i wasn't drinking - it was still a fine week, us Christians know how to have fun

I know CU's put on their alternative freshers weeks which although sound fun, might be illadvised as there is plenty of time for getting to know people in CU, and developing friendships in halls is very important.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    go to all the christian Union freshers activities... These were often on at my uni during the day when there wasn't much else on. Go to the normal freshers nights out in the evenings. Most of my friends were non-christians - the subject of religion wasn't discussed, and they never asked me where i went on sunday mornings... I told them after a few weeks, they didn't mind.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm sure many CUs have an alternative Fresher's week, I know we are at Queen Mary. It's not as full on as the Student Union stuff but as Kirsty pointed out, there are some daytime activites! It's also a great opportunity to get out and meet some new people and fellow Christians. I would advise Christians to turn to their CU for help on finding a Church and I believe God really uses the fellowship of the CU to help keep us grounded in our faith amidst a crazy student life! God Bless xx

Why can't I believe in God? My parents are both Christians - they've kept the faith even though we've not had a particularly easy life. However much I try and even when I'm temporarily convinced that God may exist... it just fizzles. The very concept of a God just seems so illogical and presumptuous. If, as Christians claim, God can perform miracles, why is it that other religions account for similar experiences? How do you know that you're right and every other religion is wrong? Is God just a comfort blanket for those people who don't want to accept that this - the world in which we live in - is it? I'm not attacking you guys… I just need to say what I feel. I haven't been happy for a long time and I worry that I wont ever be able to experience peace or a sense of security. I worry so much about my future - where I'll end up, whether anyone will want me as a friend/partner etc. I worry about my family… I just want what's best for them. I've spoken to another member of TSR who tried to put my mind at rest. I guess I just find it frustrating that I can't know if God exists. It feels like a never-ending battle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laus)
    . . . I guess I just find it frustrating that I can't know if God exists. It feels like a never-ending battle.
    Jesus said "you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free"
    so either he got it wrong or you are getting it wrong . . .

He added:-
    "the Holy Spirit will lead you into all truth",
    so,
    "you must be born again / of the Spirit" . .

"they (the disciples) were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance" (Acts 2:4)
    and they were no longer in fear & wondering what to do next - they had the personal daily 2-way relationship with God that God wants to have with you!

The battle ends when you wave the white flag and do it God's way - start desiring what God says you need!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Laus)
    Why can't I believe in God? My parents are both Christians - they've kept the faith even though we've not had a particularly easy life. However much I try and even when I'm temporarily convinced that God may exist... it just fizzles. The very concept of a God just seems so illogical and presumptuous. If, as Christians claim, God can perform miracles, why is it that other religions account for similar experiences? How do you know that you're right and every other religion is wrong? Is God just a comfort blanket for those people who don't want to accept that this - the world in which we live in - is it? I'm not attacking you guys… I just need to say what I feel. I haven't been happy for a long time and I worry that I wont ever be able to experience peace or a sense of security. I worry so much about my future - where I'll end up, whether anyone will want me as a friend/partner etc. I worry about my family… I just want what's best for them. I've spoken to another member of TSR who tried to put my mind at rest. I guess I just find it frustrating that I can't know if God exists. It feels like a never-ending battle.
    :hugs: I'm sorry to hear that you're unhappy

I would say God is far from being a comfort blanket... yes, it can be comforting to know he exists and feel him, but Christian life is by nature hard and challenging.

Thanks NJA, Ana

I hear what you're are saying. I hate to say it but I've heard it all before. I guess this is one of the downsides to studying philosophy… it makes you think too much!

I'm not sure what I think about the Holy Spirit… I've heard people speak to tongues but I can't say I've ever been moved by it.

I just wish I knew what to do! Sorry, I can't really explain how I'm feeling. I try to be a nice, positive person but really I'm quite vulnerable and shy. I worry too much which doesn't help. I want that sense of security that many Christians have but I don't want to dedicate my life to something I'm so unsure of. After all - it's all or nothing with Christianity. You can't really choose the halfway point.

In a sense, God is a comfort blanket. Even if he/she/it doesn't make life more manageable on this planet, God promises you eternal happiness in heaven… surely that compensates for hardship and pain in this life? Do you see what I'm saying?

I read this comment in the Atheist society. It isn't particularly pleasant but it did make me think:

"I agree with you John, all religion does is cause wars, religion is for weak basterds who need to believe in a God in order to get by in life, kiss my ass bible bashers!!!!"

:eek: :mad:

I haven't altered the spelling:p:

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laus)
    I hear what you're are saying. I hate to say it but I've heard it all before. I guess this is one of the downsides to studying philosophy… it makes you think too much!
    If you have really heard it all before you will know that God always does as promised when people do as instructed.
    Philosophy means love of wisdom, wisdom will learn from what's been seen and heard.

(Original post by Laus)
    I'm not sure what I think about the Holy Spirit… I've heard people speak to tongues but I can't say I've ever been moved by it.
    Tongues alone, without proper explanation will leave you unmoved. There are those who have received the Holy Spirit but aren't really taught by him so they are a bit of a "clanging symbol", or "foolish virgin" to quote the bible.

A person that just speaks in tongues in your face is like a crying baby, one who can testify of how a whole new life has set them free from all their old problems will be more attractive to you. Such people exist and are gathering others to them.

(Original post by Laus)
    In a sense, God is a comfort blanket. Even if he/she/it doesn't make life more manageable on this planet,
    Oh but he does! The benefits of being a child of God start as soon as you are born of God.

(Original post by Laus)
    God promises you eternal happiness in heaven… surely that compensates for hardship and pain in this life? Do you see what I'm saying?
    I read this comment in the Atheist society. It isn't particularly pleasant but it did make me think:
    "I agree with you John, all religion does is cause wars, religion is for weak basterds who need to believe in a God in order to get by in life, kiss my ass bible bashers!!!!"

What do you think?
    Atheists don't understand, and many don't want to. Stalin was an atheist, he killed millions. Hitler & Mugabe may have claimed to be Christian but Jesus said:-

"My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence" (John 18:36)

"For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
    (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
    Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ (2 Cor. 10:3-5)

Religion is man's representation of God, receiving the Holy Spirit is becoming a Christian - one who has a daily 2-way Father-Child relationship with God
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I think its also important, you should not have to force yourself to love God -it should be natural. Just because you were brought up in the faith may not mean you see the light or have formed a relationship.

I think ti may help if you set aside some quiet time each day, reading the bible, praying etc. Trying to work on building a relationship, and finding your spiritual connection.

Another common mistake is just because you go to church doesn't mean you have a relationship with God or does it means you don't have to do anything else all week for your religion. A 1 day a week church is a weak church!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by ~Kirsty~)
    A 1 day a week church is a weak church!
    How the hell can you have a one day a week church? :p: I know what you mean though
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I read it on posters dotted all over the church when i was little - i didn't get it back then!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Laus)
    Normally I don't agree with NJA, but this time he's got a good point.

Be wary though - tongues is not the be all and end all of Christianity. I don't speak in tongues, I don't expect I ever will. I don't (sorry NJA) need it as a private prayer language (got one of those already ), and I know noone who interpets tongues, so the likehood of me suddenly becoming prophetic seems unlikely too. Of course, only God has the final say in the matter More to the point, they're just one of the many spiritual gifts (like NJA and I) believe in. Others believe they're bunkum.

As for the holy spirit...

<anglican>The holy spirit is indewelling within all believers. He guides and strengthens us in our daily life, within the family of the church, and helps us to become more like Jesus</anglican>

Tiongues are a very visible sign of that outpouring, but neither necessary for it (this is where NJA disagrees), nor a reliable indicator of it - people *do* speak in tongues who aren't Christian.

(Original post by Laus)
    I just wish I knew what to do! Sorry, I can't really explain how I'm feeling. I try to be a nice, positive person but really I'm quite vulnerable and shy. I worry too much which doesn't help. I want that sense of security that many Christians have but I don't want to dedicate my life to something I'm so unsure of. After all - it's all or nothing with Christianity. You can't really choose the halfway point.
    Snap (on the vulnerable and shy bit) You don't have to dedicate your life to something you're unsure of, noone will ask that of you But you can "enquire" into it, if you want to, without dedicating your life. I appreciate it would be difficult if you have Christian parents (I was the reverse... and mine watched me like a hawk to check I wasn't falling into some dangerous cult...)

It's a funny thing - some epople have really dramatic conversion experiences, and shout very loudly and dramatically about it for the rest of their lifes (and that's great, don't get me wrong)... but for most people, it;'s much more gradual than that - there was no one point at which they started believing, no road to Dasmascus, just a continum from not-believing into believing. If God blesses you with a dramatic experience, that's something to treasure, but don't get disappointed if you expect it and nothing happens

(Original post by Laus)
    In a sense, God is a comfort blanket. Even if he/she/it doesn't make life more manageable on this planet, God promises you eternal happiness in heaven… surely that compensates for hardship and pain in this life? Do you see what I'm saying?
    Yes, yes, I did know what you mean, it's just that's a cliche I reagularly find people getting the wrong idea from. Sorry

(Original post by Laus)
    Sadly, humans war so much that you can blame war on almost anything Disputes over territory have started an awful lot of wars, should we all become communists? Wait, that may not have started a war, but it did cause suffering to thousands of people.... How about capitalism? Oh dear, the same applies...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I read it on posters dotted all over the church when i was little - i didn't get it back then!
    Those bad mottos are almost worth a topic of their own.

Things like "CH__CH - what's missing? U R!".

My church had "You are now entering a place of worship" displayed by the exit for some time, which I always thought was rather effective
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I agree with Ana about tongues - my last church in edinburgh, the priest was really into the tongues side of things (he included it in the Alpha course he ran) however, i don't think i will ever speak or interpret tongues. I don't find it an essential part of the christian life. Everyone has their own way of speaking and receiving messages from and to God. My home parish priest barely touches on the subject.

And Laus: My parents are both very christian too, yet i didn't really start looking deeper into my faith until last year really. I just assumed having been brought up in the faith, i knew it all and there was nothing else to discover, but how wrong was i? Give it time - everybody has doubts at some time or another.

Btw Ana: Are you anglican? (Every christian i know seems to be methodist or catholic!)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Btw Ana: Are you anglican? (Every christian i know seems to be methodist or catholic!)
    ;yes;

Church of England, more specifically
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Me too! lol! Well i have to endure episcopal church of scotland in Edinburgh..but its not that bad really!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2011
Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.