The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ana

On another topic... does anyone have any tips for remembering to read the bible regularly? I know it's important, and I really really want to, but I just can't find an appropriate time of the day to work it into :s-smilie:

Laus

RE reading your bible - it's something I'd like to start doing... I thought about trying to read something first thing in the morning. Just an idea - I know you're probably more grounded in your faith... but as I'm searching I wouldn't mind reading my bible to see what a difference it will make. Do you fancy doing some sort of bible reading plan? I can't promise I'll stick to it though!!

Hey Guys :smile:
Ohhh this problemo's aaaall too familiar to me. The whole discipline thing? Yeah I really struggle with that!

Anyway, I found trying to "regularly" pray/read my bible in the evenings, to be a bit non-existant really. You always find something "more important" to do, or you're just "too tired". So I changed it to the morning. It sets you off better for you day, makes you a tad more awake, and ready to face whatever may be thrown at you. :smile:

That said, I still have a huge improvement yet to make! :redface:

Also, as to what to read, I'd go for New Testiment; stuff like Phillipians, Ephesians, James etc. Letters from Paul n all that mumbo jumbo. It's so practical, encouraging, and really positive. It will make a difference, and will help everyday life to be more.. approachable shall we say, and even, enjoyable! :smile:

Take Care. Oh and let me know how you get on!

Becca <3.
In terms of what to read, i sometimes follow one of the scripture union 3 monthly daily reading/prayer guide things - The one i started with was called Closer to God - you can probably find similar things on the internet. Well mine costs £2.99 every 3 months - not too bad.

It sort of gives a little explanation about the reading, reflection and links in a prayer, so i find it a lot easier to get closer to god with than just random reading. Its inspiring really! Plus theres a page for every day, so i soon get into the habit of daily bible reading.
Reply 1062
I use Word4U Today, which is really good for young adults and has references to chapters/verses of relevance to the day's devotional.

It's not easy to fit it in in the evenings though, I find, but I try my best to do it and I keep it by me bed so I don't have an excuse.
Reply 1063

I find I have a Father-son relationship with God and I wouldn't want or need someone else's devotional to lead me in that.
Jesus said the Holy Spirit would lead into all truth and since I received Him (as detailed in Acts) I ditched the daily devotional books.
Reply 1064
But it helps me have a relationship.

If I didn't read them, I would be doing nothing at all.
I think its a personal thing - i find it helps me focus - and get closer to God. Everybody is different - theres not just one way to be a christian.
Reply 1066
~Kirsty~
I think its a personal thing - i find it helps me focus - and get closer to God. Everybody is different - theres not just one way to be a christian.

There's a Bible verse (don't have time to look up the reference, can someone do that for me?) that says "Him we proclaim, warning and teaching all, that we may present them mature in Christ", and another one "Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation" (the milk being Scripture), and a following verse about then moving on to eat meat as progress on our journey that I can't remember exactly :redface:.

As new Christians, we have to take baby steps along our journey in faith, read the Bible regularly, and learn from other Christians. Doing biblke study or devotionals is a good way of helping with that :smile: You don't do any Bible study, NJA?
^^ I agree.

The thing is, I'm a busy person as it is, and if I didn't properly seperate some "God-time", there wouldn't be a "Me-and-God-relationship" at all. Plus the Bible's rich in encouraging, uplifting teachings; so why not take advantage?

NJA; I'm intrigued. I'm absolutely not implying you're wrong in how you practice your Christianity.. I'm just wondering how you manage to have your intimate relationship with God, when there's no daily study/speaking? [Or have I misunderstood?! :s-smilie:] Again, not an insult, merely a question. :smile:

Also somebody said up there "The Word 4 U 2day" was good. I'll second that. It's a little booklet with half a page or so of kinda .. a small sermany/topic per day. Lasts three months and is freeeee. Works for me. :biggrin:

Something else that works for me, is having someone to reiterate whatever I've learned/read/need help or prayer with. She's a good friend of mine, and we [try to] come back to eachother on the net or something, at the end of each week. It gives you something to aim for, reminds you you're not alone, and it's great to discuss things at the end of it all. Just another suggestion. :smile:

Becca <3.
Well i've just signed up for the word 4 u today... so i'm going to give it a try! :smile: (won't say no to a freebie!)
Reply 1069
NJA
I find I have a Father-son relationship with God and I wouldn't want or need someone else's devotional to lead me in that.
Jesus said the Holy Spirit would lead into all truth and since I received Him (as detailed in Acts) I ditched the daily devotional books.

NJA, correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like you go out of your way to emphasise that your way is right and everyone else is wrong. God doesn't love you anymore because of the way you choose to practice your faith. We are all equal in his eyes… or so I've been told.

What you're saying isn't wrong in itself but neither is it necessary. I agree that the Bible is the book which Christians should turn to - above all other literature… but I also trust that daily devotionals/books that advise you what passage to turn to etc. can help you to learn more about the Bible and to understand its message with greater clarity. For some Christians, a devotional reading is an integral part of their faith. Take Spurgeon, for example - he has touched lives with daily devotionals. The Word 4 U today (the youth and the 'adult' version) has brought thousands to the Christian faith. Devotionals inspire Christians to delve into the Bible and to take their relationship with God that much further. I appreciate your opinion… I'm just offering you mine. Please don't PM me, I'd much rather we talk in here:smile:.
Reply 1070
~Kirsty~
Well i've just signed up for the word 4 u today... so i'm going to give it a try! :smile: (won't say no to a freebie!)

Nice one. I signed up for the word 4 u today aaaaages ago. I have quite a few unopened envelopes... but that's entirely my fault:redface:
I didn't realise it was a free one - well it'll save me £12 a year if i find it better than the other one i use. :smile:
~Kirsty~
I didn't realise it was a free one - well it'll save me £12 a year if i find it better than the other one i use. :smile:

Heh Heh. You go girl! :wink:

Becca <3.
Reply 1073
I notice the word 4 u today is availble as a podcast... that could work for me, cos I always take my PDA to uni, and it has a copy of the bible on it :smile:

Oh, and a slight tangent, but a copy of Night Prayer that I bought came today :smile: I'm going to try and stick to it... perhaps if it works then I can slip in some bible study as well before it :smile:
linka1
I use Word4U Today, which is really good for young adults and has references to chapters/verses of relevance to the day's devotional.

It's not easy to fit it in in the evenings though, I find, but I try my best to do it and I keep it by me bed so I don't have an excuse.

Word4U Today is so good!!! I find it so applicable to daily living.

I sometimes forget though :frown::frown::frown:!!
Reply 1075
Laus
NJA, correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like you go out of your way to emphasise that your way is right and everyone else is wrong.

I'm just saying thatGod wants his children to get daily thoughts direct from Him, not go via a pre-packaged menu set by someone else.

1Jo:2:27: But the anointing which you have received of him abides in you, and you need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teaches you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it has taught you, you shall abide in him

Of course we can all read and even benefit from the thoughts of others, there are teachers in the church, but to be fully fledged, not just "babes" we need to develop confidence that we are personally hearing from God and being led of Him.
Reply 1076
I hear you - loud and clear:smile:. Of course our daily thoughts should come directly from God... but there's nothing wrong with a little booklet or Bible planner to help you out. You can just say what you think to get your point across. ‘Ye’ and ‘abideth’ talk is all good and well but it would be nice to talk to you... rather than just listen to you 'preach'.

Ana, are you still up for some sort of Bible study. I still haven't started:redface: :rolleyes:
Reply 1077
Laus
Ana, are you still up for some sort of Bible study. I still haven't started:redface: :rolleyes:

Yes, I am :smile: And I haven't either :redface:

(In fact I'm not even sure I've unpacked my Bible yet since I moved in a week ago... that's quite embarrassing :redface:)
Reply 1078
At the mo I have to mermorise Bible verses :s-smilie: (I know) for Youth Group stuff. As it is so similar to studying, I don't mind it, and I understand the meaning behind it a lot more and I now have a favourite verse. I have yet to grasp why I am doing it though, and how much closer it can bring me to God.

Bible is so hard to get into, but if you set time aside for it regularly, it helps a lot.
Reply 1079
linka1
. . . Bible is so hard to get into, . . ..
This is exactly what I found, it all seemed so distant and not happening in my life, until I received the infilling of the Holy Spirit and the verses jumped out at me when I read, I had the life it described.
I didn't need a study aid to explain it to me, I was already experiencing it!

Here are some verses to memorise:-

"Except a man be born again, he cannot see (know, understand) the kingdom of God . . . The spirit breathes where it wills, and you hear the sound thereof, but cannot tell whence it comes, and whither it goes: so is every one that is born of the Spirit" (John 3:3, 8)

"And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance . . .
Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear . . .
the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call." (Acts 2:4, 33, 39)

- That means you and me!

Latest

Trending

Trending