TSR Christian Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Redpanda91)
I can't afford one :p: Hehe it's true, the EMA people mucked up so I'm broke =/ But I did have an umbrella. I think I would've needed waterproof trousers to avoid getting wet altogether!
Poke your head though a big shiny bin-liner and wrap up a smaller bag for your head.

Cheap & easy . . and about time they made a come-back.
username42053
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've also posted this in the 'D&D Religion's "Ask a Christian" Thread' but I thought I would here too as this is a Christian Society:

Hi,

This may sound a tad weird. All my family are atheists (though you could say my sister is agnostic) and I was until maybe a year or two ago. Then I became agnostic I'd say. I've always been very open to religion, and although I didn't believe in God a while back, I never sneered at other people's beliefs or anything.

Though recently, past month or so, I seem to be (hard to explain) drawn to becoming a Christian. I kind of feel I'm meant to be one. It's very, very strange.

I took out a book from the library on philosophy, and one section was on God. I remember reading it and thinking, yup there is no God. I had a talk with my Christian friend about it, and discovered she was a much stronger Christian than I thought. Super interesting conversation though - whatever I said, she said she knew in her heart of hearts that God existed. I decided to look into Christianity some more and I borrowed some books off her Mum, who's also a Christian.

Things seem to be happening now, and although I doubt God is giving me signs, signs just keep appearing. I won't delve into them all now, but one thing really hit me. My half sister came round the other day, who's 29 and has a family, and I showed her a book I recently bought: Dear God. Letters from children to God, lovely book. Anyway, I found out she was Christian which I never knew before. I said, but if God is all loving, all powerful and all knowing, wouldn't he know we'd do bad things. Her reply was something like "Yes, but there is evil and God had faith in us". That bit hit me and I thought, God had faith in us so we must have faith in Him.

I know this sounds really weird but I now seem to, erm want?, to become a Christian. I'm trying to ask:
a) Has this happened to anyone else?
b) How can I, not become one, but learn more?

I mean I have some books (Basic Christianity, What do Christians Believe?, Need to Know: Christianity, The Case for Christ etc). I need to start at the basics as I know little to be honest. Sounds silly but there's a Children's Bible where I work, which has all the stories of both Testaments apparently. Sounds silly but should I read that? I don't want to read the Bible without not knowing much about Christianity as a whole. Also, a lady recommended something called an Alpha Course at a Church?

This must sound strange, and it's kind of surreal to me too but any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

edit: Post #1327 by NathanL on how to read the Bible, is that for 'beginners' like me? Not all of it makes sense and I've yet to get a Bible. In the other thread I posted in, you'll see I say that there seems to be many different versions of the English Bible and I'm a tad confused. One on Amazon is a King James version. I posted a link too that someone posted on Amazon.
NathanL
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by franpgb)
edit: Post #1327 by NathanL on how to read the Bible, is that for 'beginners' like me? Not all of it makes sense and I've yet to get a Bible. In the other thread I posted in, you'll see I say that there seems to be many different versions of the English Bible and I'm a tad confused. One on Amazon is a King James version. I posted a link too that someone posted on Amazon.
Hi Fran, I've replied on the "Ask a Christian" thread, but, whilst I would definitely say what I wrote in post 1327 could apply to believers, I suggest you start out small for now. What I was advising there was more of a good technique of reading the bible regularly and properly, a helpful, continuous structure of reading. What you're after - an introduction to the christian faith through the scriptures - may require a slightly less 'intensive' approach. As I said, what I wrote in the "Ask a Christian" thread should suffice. The Gospels are where to start. There is no commitment in reading them, or in going to church, or in praying.

But again, what I would say is that the core part of the Christian walk is walking with Christ or away from Him. If you feel drawn to Him then I'd encourage you to follow that conviction through. Do so with prayer and reading and with Christians who can help you, but do so indeed - there's nothing that can compare
NathanL
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You may also be interested in the following video, set out in two parts (Part 1; and Part 2) - myself and a friend made it two years ago for a carol service. Seeing as it's approaching the season, and seeing as we made it precisely for people like you, you might wanna take a look
Redpanda91
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by franpgb)
Questions and queries about Christianity
Hiya, I was a bit like you earlier this year I went to church with a friend I was staying with, being agnostic at the time, and found that everything the Pastor said related to what was going on in my life at that moment. It made me question, I thought "maybe there is a God after all!" and it took me another month before I re-joined the youth club at my local church. We were doing a Christianity Explored course in the break, I came in half way through but it was so eye-opening to me, it's like God was giving me all these little signs =) I became a Christian, I suppose, about three days before my 17th birthday this year. Something dawned on me and I really felt His presence there. Becoming a Christian is something I never thought would happen to me, growing up in an unreligious family and surrounded by atheist friends, but sometimes things happen out of the blue that draw you to Him.
I would recommend, for learning more about religion, that you read the 100 minute Bible, click the link below:
http://www.the100-minutepress.com/
It helped me when I first started going to church because I realised people would discuss stories in the Old Testament and I'd have no idea what they were on about, i felt really behind with everything so a friend bought me the one on the left. It helps especially if you're looking to learn more in general The Alpha course is something I'm pretty familiar with, it's run at a church near me, they run sessions in the evening where they discuss Bible things and get more knowledgable! And basically you can go on a weekend away, you haven't got to be a Christian, just interested in general. I think they do activities and have discussions and stuff so a lot of learning but in a fun way! And you meet loads of new cool people ^^ But yeah it should be running at a church near you if you pop in and ask or something, they can set you up doing one!
If I think of anything else I'll edit the message, I hope that was helpful in some way!
username42053
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by NathanL)
Hi Fran, I've replied on the "Ask a Christian" thread, but, whilst I would definitely say what I wrote in post 1327 could apply to believers, I suggest you start out small for now. What I was advising there was more of a good technique of reading the bible regularly and properly, a helpful, continuous structure of reading. What you're after - an introduction to the christian faith through the scriptures - may require a slightly less 'intensive' approach. As I said, what I wrote in the "Ask a Christian" thread should suffice. The Gospels are where to start. There is no commitment in reading them, or in going to church, or in praying.

But again, what I would say is that the core part of the Christian walk is walking with Christ or away from Him. If you feel drawn to Him then I'd encourage you to follow that conviction through. Do so with prayer and reading and with Christians who can help you, but do so indeed - there's nothing that can compare
So maybe when I'm less 'new' I'll use your technique then Ok thanks, it's all exciting too.

(Original post by NathanL)
You may also be interested in the following video, set out in two parts (Part 1; and Part 2) - myself and a friend made it two years ago for a carol service. Seeing as it's approaching the season, and seeing as we made it precisely for people like you, you might wanna take a look
I will definitely, thanks for those links. It is nearly Christmas isn't it? I'll be able to celebrate it now as a Christian it seems.

(Original post by Redpanda91)
Hiya, I was a bit like you earlier this year I went to church with a friend I was staying with, being agnostic at the time, and found that everything the Pastor said related to what was going on in my life at that moment. It made me question, I thought "maybe there is a God after all!" and it took me another month before I re-joined the youth club at my local church. We were doing a Christianity Explored course in the break, I came in half way through but it was so eye-opening to me, it's like God was giving me all these little signs =) I became a Christian, I suppose, about three days before my 17th birthday this year. Something dawned on me and I really felt His presence there. Becoming a Christian is something I never thought would happen to me, growing up in an unreligious family and surrounded by atheist friends, but sometimes things happen out of the blue that draw you to Him.
I would recommend, for learning more about religion, that you read the 100 minute Bible, click the link below:
http://www.the100-minutepress.com/
It helped me when I first started going to church because I realised people would discuss stories in the Old Testament and I'd have no idea what they were on about, i felt really behind with everything so a friend bought me the one on the left. It helps especially if you're looking to learn more in general The Alpha course is something I'm pretty familiar with, it's run at a church near me, they run sessions in the evening where they discuss Bible things and get more knowledgable! And basically you can go on a weekend away, you haven't got to be a Christian, just interested in general. I think they do activities and have discussions and stuff so a lot of learning but in a fun way! And you meet loads of new cool people ^^ But yeah it should be running at a church near you if you pop in and ask or something, they can set you up doing one!
If I think of anything else I'll edit the message, I hope that was helpful in some way!
Yes, very similar with me it seems. Cor He's good at drawing people in isn't He!

Ah thanks for that link. That looks good actually to help me get started, and at £4 you can't really go that wrong.

I'm looking forward to this Alpha course. Although I work in the day, fortunately it starts at 7:30pm. I think it says you can still turn up but it's quite scary, so we'll see. Actually, I've just sent them an email now

No, very helpful, thank you. Reassuring to hear people have gone through, sort of, what I'm going through now.
Alsop
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey, I'll join
tassacharlotte
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
can i join?

i recently had a heated debate with a group of stubborn scientists on the existence of G-d. they didn't understand, and they didnt want too. and to make matters worse, i think they thought that it was weird how another scientist and mathematician as themselves could have such a strong belief and faith in Him.

it got so heated that i almost started crying

xx
*Dreamer*
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tassacharlotte)
can i join?

i recently had a heated debate with a group of stubborn scientists on the existence of G-d. they didn't understand, and they didnt want too. and to make matters worse, i think they thought that it was weird how another scientist and mathematician as themselves could have such a strong belief and faith in Him.

it got so heated that i almost started crying

xx
Aww...don't let it get to you! It's true, some people just can't accept that there is a God, because they view the world 100% literally. Well I don't think it is weird that a scientist can believe in God because I wanna study medicine .
tassacharlotte
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *Dreamer*)
Aww...don't let it get to you! It's true, some people just can't accept that there is a God, because they view the world 100% literally. Well I don't think it is weird that a scientist can believe in God because I wanna study medicine .
cool thanx - actually that is exactly what i wanted to hear, because the conversation took place when i was at Medlink. everyone who i was talking with wanted to be a Dr, but still couldnt deal with the concept of having faith not pure knowledge

xx
*Dreamer*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tassacharlotte)
cool thanx - actually that is exactly what i wanted to hear, because the conversation took place when i was at Medlink. everyone who i was talking with wanted to be a Dr, but still couldnt deal with the concept of having faith not pure knowledge

xx
Ah...I've heard of Medlink.. I heard that its a waste of money? But I guess if somebody knew everything, life would be a bit boring...Faith brings excitement and an anticipation of what is going to happen next in life. Anyways, before I start babbling, I encourage you to be strong. God bless...x
tassacharlotte
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ah...I've heard of Medlink.. I heard that its a waste of money? But I guess if somebody knew everything, life would be a bit boring...Faith brings excitement and an anticipation of what is going to happen next in life. Anyways, before I start babbling, I encourage you to be strong. God bless...x
someone lied to you

anyway thanx for the word =]
x
A Shining Light
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm also a scientist that is a Christian (well a final year Medical Biochemistry student). I tend to avoid debates about science & God coz I don't handle debates v well at all. I'm fine talking to someone who's genuinely interested in knowing about what I believe but I don't cope well if someone starts attacking my beliefs. I think debates & words alone are not rly gonna be much persuasion to stubborn non-Christians. This verse springs to mind (1 Corinthians 2 v 4+5):

My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power.
I think some ppl are simply not gonna believe unless they experience God for themselves. I certainly would not still be a Christian if I hadn't experienced God for myself. I simply cannot deny God's existence & His character coz He's been so faithful to me over years even tho I've fallen away from Him so many times.
*Dreamer*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hey guys, i was wondering how to explain to people why the bible is real. what historical evidence is there? Thanks..xxx
tassacharlotte
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you dont ask for much do ya?
:p:
jmj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hey guys, i was wondering how to explain to people why the bible is real. what historical evidence is there? Thanks..xxx
Hey,

I recommend Amy Orr Ewing's 'Why Trust the Bible?' Also, look at this

Hope I've been helpful!
God Bless
RK
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I was looking for somewhere to discuss things with other Christians on here and came across this society which seemed to have been forgotten.

That would never do, so I've made myself a leader of the society, approved the join requests and thought I'd start posting in here to revive the society.

The society has grown frm 83 to 191 members today. If you want to join the society please follow this link to join.

Let's see if we can get things active in here again
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RK)
I was looking for somewhere to discuss things with other Christians on here and came across this society which seemed to have been forgotten.

That would never do, so I've made myself a leader of the society, approved the join requests and thought I'd start posting in here to revive the society.

The society has grown frm 83 to 191 members today. If you want to join the society please follow this link to join.

Let's see if we can get things active in here again
great!

I have always felt that a place to discuss this sort of thing (without debating) was lacking
d123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Excellent

Anyone going to Greenbelt festival this year?
Redpanda91
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My friend has been reading a book recently called "If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat" and she was telling us all about it this morning, how it's just reminded her that if we don't actually go out of our comfort zones and get into conversations about Jesus, then we'll never see anyone saved. Everyone has to go out of their comfort zones sometimes, I know I personally hate praying aloud, but I did for the first time yesterday, just to a friend, and although I was a bit shaky, it wasn't so bad
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (90)
20%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (181)
40.22%
Nope, not that interesting (179)
39.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed