TSR Christian Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
grumballcake
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Looking at the score, the melody looks a little high for the average congregation. Are you going to transpose it down? I mean, top G#?

I would be willing to write some lyrics, if you were interested. I wouldn't want to tread on your toes though, if you were planning your own.
Woostarite
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The key isn't fixed, although it's supposed to be an octave down - I just wrote it up thinking I would avoid ledger lines. An octave down it's perfect for me because the lowest note is B (and I can sing down to G).
But then it's too low for the females unless it's sung an octave up, so it's probably a lousy key.

And yes, I would be very much pleased if you wanted to do the words
It's a fairly modernish sounding him, so something akin to Keith Getty lyrics would be great (i.e. the guy who writes for Stuart Townend).
Jayjayjay
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Cool
*admiration*
Woostarite
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Grumballcake, have you been writing the lyrics or not? (that wasn't supported to sound impatient )
It's just I've found someone at my church who does this sort of thing professionally (as in, has written lyrics for numerous published hymns).
Jayjayjay
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
So 2+2=4, you are well on your way then =0)
grumballcake
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Woostarite)
Grumballcake, have you been writing the lyrics or not?
I have, but they still need polishing. The tune you published on the score isn't quite the melody you play, so I had to re-enter the score manually first, or the lyrics wouldn't scan properly. It's that the first note doesn't seem to be a single crotchet, but a dotted crotchet followed by a quaver. Anyway, I've attached a first pass at the modified tune & lyrics. Now it's in software, it's also easy to transpose.

Of course, I couldn't hope to compare with a professional at this, so I'm not going to be massively offended if you go elsewhere.
Attached files
Woostarite
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Kevin, those lyrics are great! And you even notated it all.

Sorry about the ambiguity, you're right about the first two bars (i.e. with the dotted rhythm) but two minor changes needed (which don't screw up the lyric synchronisation). The G# in bar 3 needs to drop down to a minum B, which may or may not be the same word as the G# (i.e. may be held on).
Secondly, there really needs to be that crotchet C# (i.e. the quaver C# in my scanned score) before the last line for more fluidity. Ah, and the F# towards the end should be a G# - my fault because I drew a large blog which looked like it could be either!
Ah, and is it easy to transpose to F# major?

Most of the lyrics are great (I particularly like the last verse which is perfect if an 'and' is put onto the beginning of the last line to get that C#) but there are a few lines that either don't quite marry with the rhythm, or don't quite work aswell as other lines.
An example includes the first verse, where you've used the word 'and' on the top note.
If you were to work on the lyrics, then I think the first half of the first verse, and bits of the second and third verse could use some tweaking.

I've been given the phone number of this lyrics guy, so I may as well see what he has to say. Because of this guy's various contacts, there's actually a possibility that the hymn could be published in a hymn book, so using this guy would particularly help me in the road to that.
But your lyrics are ace though - I wouldn't want them to go to waste, and I very much appreciate the work you've done.
grumballcake
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ah, and is it easy to transpose to F# major?
Yes - very easy.
there are a few lines that either don't quite marry with the rhythm, or don't quite work as well as other lines.
Yes, I agree. I only showed what I had so that you'd know I'd done something. It takes a while to get a tune into your head and to feel all the lyrics and I haven't really spent that long on it. I'd want to sing it a few times to check breathing etc. too. Often writers don't think enough about congregations when they're devising lyrics - all the words have to fall naturally with the music, so that people can sing it without panicking. modern tunes often fail miserably in this respect because they're words which the singer could manage, but no-one else can ever guess where the pauses are.
so using this guy would particularly help me in the road to that.
Absolutely. See what he has to say - connections are everything in business. I may do some work on it in the meantime, but I'll probably wait until you know what you're going to do.
Woostarite
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
How about this for a fishy?
Attached files
fleur-de-lis
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Looks nice.
Woostarite, concerning your future song writing, have you talked to Martyn Layzell? i.e if you like the Soul Survivor kind of worship.
And Grumball, those lyrics are awesome :congrats:
Jayjayjay
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Love the fishy - simple and woo!

(Fleur de lis is very pretty!!)
fleur-de-lis
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Thanks jayjayjay :girl:
How's life treating you? are you also expecting the results soon?
Woostarite
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The poor things must be ripping their hair out.
It's tomorrow.
andyj72
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
can i join? how do these societies work? can someone pm me. thanx
LauraS
Report 13 years ago
Can I join too please?
Btw anyone off to/at Oxford? Got in this week (BNC for law, still can't believe it!) and will want to find a church... I know I'm getting kinda ahead of myself, and have read the stuff on the OUICCU website, but an inside opinion would be nice
Woostarite
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
There are two 'main' chuches at Oxford which the majority go to.

St Ebbes - Anglican Evangelistic. Quite conservative (as opposed to charismatic, but still plenty of modern lively hymns). Reputation for teaching (Vaughan Roberts is an internationally demanded speaker). Supports OICCU.

St Aldates - Anglican Evangelistic, but big on the worship side and quite charismatic. Less of a reputation for teaching. Withdrew support for OICCU last year.

Other popular churches include a Vineyard church, New Road Baptist and Woodstock Road. I personally go to St Ebbes.
Well done on your successful entry.
fleur-de-lis
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hi LauraS, an early welcome to Oxford! Woostarite has given a good picture of the two main churches- but Oxford has so many churches, so probably you give those a try incl.
1. ChCh Cathedral (anglican, formal, but liberal teaching)

2. The Univ Church (as above)
3. St Mary Magdalen (anglocatholic)
4. college chapels
5. OCC in Botley (non denominational, charismatic)
6. The Vineyard in Summertown

and Catholic churches, like St Aloysius & Catholic Chaplaincy.

I go to St Aldates, which is very lively, with Soul Survivor kind of worship (for at least 45 mins), led by Martyn Layzell. The leadership is really strong (8-10) and so the sermon actually depends on who the preacher is- Charlie Cleverly's is more for strong Christians with a good knowledge of Bible & theology; the Hicksons focus on total strangers to faith; Simon Ponsonby- for the average Christian. Past rectors includes David MacInnes & Michael Green. The term time has Risky Living, Sunday Lunch & CCC for students (off term- Reunite).

I have been to St Ebbe's too, which is evangelical but not as informal as St Al. The order of service is quite structured. And there are many evangelisation programmes for non Christians, as well as students. They recently gave good support for the Meeting Point- International Cafe for foreign language students. St Ebbe's & St Al have one joint service on Good Friday- which was quite good. I wasn't aware of St Aldates withdrawing support for OICCU :confused:
Woostarite
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oops, forgot OCC! It's probably the most popular behind Ebbes and Aldates.

As for Aldate's relationship with OICCU, their official stance is that they do not 'endorse' it (they don't discourage people from joining either) since they don't feel a student body should provide any pastoral support. Our college CU is purely Ebbes at the moment with the two OCC people coming to our CU breakfast - but I know it's more an even mix at other CUs. I know Trinity CU for example is about half and half.
LauraS
Report 13 years ago
Thanks folks
Sounds like CU stuff can get a lil' political, sure I'll get my head round it all when I'm there tho - seems like ages away. Scary reading list arrived, which may make the time pass faster, or may put me off turning up at all!
fleur-de-lis
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oops, forgot OCC! It's probably the most popular behind Ebbes and Aldates.

As for Aldate's relationship with OICCU, their official stance is that they do not 'endorse' it (they don't discourage people from joining either) since they don't feel a student body should provide any pastoral support. Our college CU is purely Ebbes at the moment with the two OCC people coming to our CU breakfast - but I know it's more an even mix at other CUs. I know Trinity CU for example is about half and half.
By having the Central at Christopher's Room, they give the impression that they endorse OICCU. But i know that quite a few from St Al are active in OICCU. Our CU (which I seldom attend as I am quite far away) is a mixture of Ebbes, OCC, St Andrews and new christians. I have met some from Worcester at St Al too. I hate all this politics
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (144)
18.56%
No (471)
60.7%
Not really bothered about them (161)
20.75%

Watched Threads