TSR Christian Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
UAC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The reason different races emerged is simple. Mankind emerged from Africa (the surrounding area of River Kishon) over 5000 years ago (Jewish calender). The new earth (post-deluge) was first inhabited by Noah and his immediate descendants, However, the sons of Noah were said to be divided in their lands (Gen 10:5). This seperated the progenitors (our early Fathers) into different areas of the Globe -

It is very long to mention all the families of the Sons of Noah but briefly - Traditionally, Tarshish, the son of Javan is identified with Spain & Cush, Son of Ham, is identified with Egypt/Ethiopia.

These names, whilst they represent actual men who lived on Earth also represents their descendants and thus the nation which they begat. This is the fundemental understanding one needs to have before one can fully understand the Word according to Ezekiel or Jeremiah.

Bless.
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by UAC)
. . .The new earth (post-deluge) was first inhabited by Noah and his immediate descendants, However, the sons of Noah were said to be divided in their lands (Gen 10:5). This seperated the progenitors (our early Fathers) into different areas of the Globe - . . .
Hi UAC, I believed in a global flood and Adam the first man for 3 years until I saw some subtle points that I couldn't argue with.

The idea that Noah's descendants re-populated the whole world is refuted byGen. 10v2, 5:-

The sons of Japheth; . . . By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.

i.e. they went to areas already inhabited by nations of gentiles.

Genesis 6:1-3 about the sons of God mixing with the daughters of men . .
I used to think that the former were godly Adamites, the latter were ungodly ones, but clearly the former are not godly, they are ungodly Adamites . . . so the latter would be non-Adamites.

(if the latter were also Adamites, they too would be sons of God).

Similarly the people who Cain feared in Gen. 4:14.
I used to say "they must be Adamites" as unrelated people would not want to avenge Able's death on Cain, but, Captain Cook was attacked (and killed) by Aboriginals when he want down-under.

The flood:
Genesis 1 says how the waters once covered the earth.
In all honesty, I believe Ps.104:7-9 refers to creation not the flood:-

"Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever.
Thou coveredst it with the deep as with a garment: the waters stood above the mountains.
At thy rebuke they fled; at the voice of thy thunder they hasted away.
They go up by the mountains; they go down by the valleys unto the place which thou hast founded for them.
Thou hast set a bound that they may not pass over; that they turn not again to cover the earth."

Job.38:8-11 & Proverbs 8:27-29 back this up.

I know the language in Genesis speaks of "the whole earth" and "under the whole heaven" but if you consider how these phrases and used elsewhere you se it can't really mean the whole globe. (see here)
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Was just wondering what everyone's favourite christian song/hymn is?

A few that I really like are above all, here I am to worship, be thou my vision and indescribable.
User182034
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RK)
We have more new members!

Good to see you all in here and welcome

Do you have anything to add to the discussions we've been having or got anything else we can discuss?
Hi and thanks I'll have a look at the discussions and see what I have to say about them. I must say it's nice to find out TSR isn't just atheist central :woo:
UAC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by NJA)
Hi UAC, I believed in a global flood and Adam the first man for 3 years until I saw some subtle points that I couldn't argue with.

The idea that Noah's descendants re-populated the whole world is refuted byGen. 10v2, 5:-

The sons of Japheth; . . . By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.

i.e. they went to areas already inhabited by nations of gentiles.

Firstly to address your initial point concerning the Flood and Adam what you must understand is that you seem to be using the scripture to try to disprove the knowledge which you originally recieved from the scripture itself. Let me try to help you understand, NJA.

Now, the CJB states the translation of Gen 10:5 as "From these the islands of the nations were divided into their lands, each according to its language, according to their families, in their nations"

Interpret this as meaning that the Sons of Shem, Ham and Japeth fled and eloped in these northern and easternmost lands, most likely through conflict and waywardness in serving God. Which lands are we speaking of - the Caucus mountains (Russia), Aboriginal (Australasia), Native Indians (North Armerica) etc.

If you refer to Ezekiel 38:1-4 you will see that Ezekiel is told of the LORD's intentions toward the greatest of the Gentiles (Magog - traditionally known as the region of the Caucus Mountains). Magog is the firstborn of Japeth and the chief princes of Meschech and Tubal are the lesser nations of Asia Minor (Born to Japeth after Magog). These nations are unfortunately still the enemies of God (Gentiles) - mainly because the man who bore the name of the land was an enemy of God (Nations are named after the proginator) - even though they are descendants of Noah.

Secondly, if you don't mind me asking, what made you think that these Islands were already inhabited by Gentiles before the Sons of Noah fled to them? I agree that Cain was afraid of those outside of the Garden of Eden and I also agree that there is the possibility that Goliath's ancenstors may have survived the Deluge by hanging onto Noah's Ark but nevertheless I must enquire into how you emerged with this theory.

P.S. Consider that just as the names of great men are used to symbolise entire Nations in scripture, so too may the names of Cain and Abel as well as Adam represent entire nations of people as well as the actual persons. This may answer the query of who Cain and Abel reproduced with.
Redpanda91
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey everyone, I was just wondering... well it's quite a sensitive issue, but I was wondering if the "no sex before marriage" rule applies to anything else, i.e. is there anything else Christian's shouldn't do before marriage, sexually? Sorry that's such an awkward question, but I'm quite fed up of feeling like I'm sinning every time things go further than kissing ...
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by UAC)
Now, the CJB states the translation of Gen 10:5 as "From these the islands of the nations were divided into their lands, each according to its language, according to their families, in their nations"

. . . what made you think that these Islands were already inhabited by Gentiles before the Sons of Noah fled to them?. . .
It says every one after his language, I wouldn't expect members of the same family to have different languages, although what happened at Babel could explain that, so yes, maybe they did disperse to these previously un-inhabited Islands.

This verse also doesn't fit too well with my use of Genesis 10:-
"(God) hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation" (Acts 17:24)

So he gave nations their habitation, rather than giving it to the sons of Noah to rule over them.

However, I have also read accounts of large Chinese civilisations before during and immediately after the flood.
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Redpanda91)
Hey everyone, I was just wondering... well it's quite a sensitive issue, but I was wondering if the "no sex before marriage" rule applies to anything else, i.e. is there anything else Christian's shouldn't do before marriage, sexually? Sorry that's such an awkward question, but I'm quite fed up of feeling like I'm sinning every time things go further than kissing ...
Personally since becoming a Christian I haven't done anything more than kissing

However that is more because I think it is easier for me to abstain completely than do something but not others. Some of my friends who are Christians do just kiss, some will engage in other sexual behaviour but not sex and some will have sex. I think it probably depends on the person.

I have read things on TSR which have said that they don't think that oral sex before marriage is against what it says in the bible but I am not sure how accurate that is.

I think that your best bet is to pray on it really. Ask god and reflect on what you feel comfortable with and then try and decide from there were you are going to personally draw your boundary.
Redpanda91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
Personally since becoming a Christian I haven't done anything more than kissing

However that is more because I think it is easier for me to abstain completely than do something but not others. Some of my friends who are Christians do just kiss, some will engage in other sexual behaviour but not sex and some will have sex. I think it probably depends on the person.

I have read things on TSR which have said that they don't think that oral sex before marriage is against what it says in the bible but I am not sure how accurate that is.

I think that your best bet is to pray on it really. Ask god and reflect on what you feel comfortable with and then try and decide from there were you are going to personally draw your boundary.
Thanks for the reply I personally don't feel comfortable taking things much further than kissing at the moment, so I need to control when things get too far to avoid getting uncomfortable I guess. I will pray about it and ask him to pray as well
d123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

A few that I really like are above all, here I am to worship, be thou my vision and indescribable.
I'll answer this tomorrow when I've thought about it some more, just quoting it now so that I remember!

Another question for everyone - do you know of any good Christian bands you can recommend?
RK
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago

This one I really like:

I think I told you how we'd not sung it at church for ages. We did a week last Sunday PM (when you didn't come)

Hmmm, I seem to be having trouble getting the video to show up. Try it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-08YZF87OBQ

It's Mighty to Save by Hillsong.
Redpanda91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There are too many to choose from! I really like "Oh to see the dawn" - tis a Getty and Townend song, if anyone knows it?

I love Above All, and The Potter's Hand (Beautiful Lord, Wonderful Saviour)

And also "There is a Higher Throne" which I sung and played for the first time yesterday at my friend's baptism
d123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RK)
This one I really like:

I think I told you how we'd not sung it at church for ages. We did a week last Sunday PM (when you didn't come)

Hmmm, I seem to be having trouble getting the video to show up. Try it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-08YZF87OBQ

It's Mighty to Save by Hillsong.
I love that song!

Has anyone heard of a Christian band called Sounds of Salvation? I think they're from Reading. I've seen them live 7 or 8 times
Redpanda91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ahh Mighty to Save, that's a good one. We sung it about 4 times in 5 weeks when I first joined the music group though, so now everytime we do it I say "but we always sing that one!" :p:
sparklysparkles
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hello

I quite like some of Delirious?'s songs, also Rebecca St James and some of David Crowder Band, though they're more for listening to rather than singing in church etc, I've found... ironically at Frenzy last year I though D? and DCB were far too loud so didn't actually listen to them much!
philjw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Redpanda91)
Thanks for the reply I personally don't feel comfortable taking things much further than kissing at the moment, so I need to control when things get too far to avoid getting uncomfortable I guess. I will pray about it and ask him to pray as well
I found this book really helpful (I know there are a lot of pretty awful Christian books on sex/relationships, but this one is actually good and not a rulebook) - "Pure" by Linda and Phil Marshall (Leicester: IVP, 2005).
I think the important thing is to think about attitudes to sex in the context of the gospel. We are sinners who have been saved by grace, to live to the glory of God. We shouldn't let feelings of guilt tear us away from God or make us think we are "less Christian" if we make mistakes; but then neither should we think that sexual purity doesn't matter. Instead we should try and think how we best honour and glorify the God who made us and redeemed us in how we conduct our relationships. Sorry if this is a bit vague, but I think it is much more helpful to think these issues through in a gospel context than it is for me to give a bunch of rules ("No further than kissing" "Three legs on the floor at all times" etc etc)
Redpanda91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by philjw)
I found this book really helpful (I know there are a lot of pretty awful Christian books on sex/relationships, but this one is actually good and not a rulebook) - "Pure" by Linda and Phil Marshall (Leicester: IVP, 2005).
I think the important thing is to think about attitudes to sex in the context of the gospel. We are sinners who have been saved by grace, to live to the glory of God. We shouldn't let feelings of guilt tear us away from God or make us think we are "less Christian" if we make mistakes; but then neither should we think that sexual purity doesn't matter. Instead we should try and think how we best honour and glorify the God who made us and redeemed us in how we conduct our relationships. Sorry if this is a bit vague, but I think it is much more helpful to think these issues through in a gospel context than it is for me to give a bunch of rules ("No further than kissing" "Three legs on the floor at all times" etc etc)
Thanks, I'll look into that book some more. To be honest, if I think about it deep down then I know that God wouldn't want me to do certain things, and so even if I'm in doubt a little bit it's probably best not to do it! Easier said than done, but yeah, thankyou
animals
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hello, can I join?
RK
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by animals)
Hello, can I join?
You can do so here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/socs...=join&socid=51

philjw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

I love those three. My favourite hymn is still "Praise, my soul, the King of heaven" - chose it for my baptism and intend on having it at my wedding!
A new song (or at least, new to me) that we've been singing a lot at my church recently is "Loved before the dawn of time" - I really like it. Speaking of new songs, "When I was lost (There is a new song)" is another one I like.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (257)
26.88%
No (699)
73.12%

Watched Threads