TSR Christian Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
Redpanda91
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by philjw)
I love those three. My favourite hymn is still "Praise, my soul, the King of heaven" - chose it for my baptism and intend on having it at my wedding!
A new song (or at least, new to me) that we've been singing a lot at my church recently is "Loved before the dawn of time" - I really like it. Speaking of new songs, "When I was lost (There is a new song)" is another one I like.
Ahh I like "When I was lost", one of the only ones I can decently play on the guitar and sing. Pity we don't do it much, I think my friend finds it difficult to play on the keyboard or something. Ah well

Currently listening to the new Keith and Kristyn Getty album, Awaken the Dawn, I saw them live in concert in Chessington back in June, went with a couple of friends. It was so good! I love their music. Probably their most famous song is "In Christ Alone" which is one of my favourites
philjw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Redpanda91)
Ahh I like "When I was lost", one of the only ones I can decently play on the guitar and sing. Pity we don't do it much, I think my friend finds it difficult to play on the keyboard or something. Ah well

Currently listening to the new Keith and Kristyn Getty album, Awaken the Dawn, I saw them live in concert in Chessington back in June, went with a couple of friends. It was so good! I love their music. Probably their most famous song is "In Christ Alone" which is one of my favourites
I saw the Gettys at New Word Alive back in April, which was great. "In Christ Alone" is justifiably famous - I think it's one of the songs that sum up the gospel really well, and there's a lot of really important truth in the lyrics.
googlegel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yay! A must society! Can I join?
animals
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RK)
You can do so here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/socs...=join&socid=51

Thanks
animals
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
Was just wondering what everyone's favourite christian song/hymn is?

A few that I really like are above all, here I am to worship, be thou my vision and indescribable.
Indescribable and How Great is our God both by Chris Tomlin
RK
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by animals)
Indescribable and How Great is our God both by Chris Tomlin
Don't think I've heard How Great is Our God before, but I've just listend to it and I like it

Indescribale is one we've sung a few times recently. It's certainly growing more on me as I hear it more. Very nice lyrics
CrazyChris
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Good shouts on the songs! I like them all, though have not heard 'When I was Lost' so will have a search soon!

I think my favourite song at the moment is a piece called 'He Sought Me' arranged by Damien Wileman, published for The Salvation Army's music dept.
Lyrics in the spoiler, you can listen to it on youtube.
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by He Sought Me)
My Saviour sought and found me
Far from the narrow way
He made my blinded eyes to see
Oh what a wonderful day

[Chorus]
He sought and found me
He sought and found me
When I was wandering far away
He found me
What a wonderful day

He lifted sin's great burden
* He took my deep dismay
And graciously he pardoned me
Oh what a wonderful day

[Chorus]
He sought and found me
He sought and found me
He found me
What a wonderful day

My sin was red like crimson
He washed it all away
He filled my heart with melody
Oh what a wonderful day

[Chorus]
He sought and found me
He sought and found me
He found me

He sought and found me
He sought and found me
He found me
What a wonderful day

That said, when i pick my guitar up [which happens so many times as I keep it right by my desk] i often bash out pieces such as:
Wonderful so Wonderful (Beautiful One), (Tim Hughes)
Indescribable (Chris Tomlin)
Everlasting God (Brenton Brown/ Chris Tomlin)
How Great Is Our God (Chris Tomlin)
Blessed Be Your Name (Matt Redman)

eh, i could go on just listing!
Redpanda91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There's a piece I like called "Draw me close to you".. I love the lyrics. When I'm singing up at the front of church with the microphone, this is one of the only songs I can completely get lost in and not be worrying at all about how I sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB1yDv9_N1k - Dunno how to change the name of the link to "Draw me close to you" but anyway, there tis
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There's a piece I like called "Draw me close to you".. I love the lyrics. When I'm singing up at the front of church with the microphone, this is one of the only songs I can completely get lost in and not be worrying at all about how I sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB1yDv9_N1k - Dunno how to change the name of the link to "Draw me close to you" but anyway, there tis
I love that song!

Very brave to stand in front of everyone and sing! I don't think that I could ever do that!
d123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Anyone going to see Delirious? on their final tour? I'm hopefully going to the Birmingham gig in November if I can find anyone to go with!
CrazyChris
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by d123)
Anyone going to see Delirious? on their final tour? I'm hopefully going to the Birmingham gig in November if I can find anyone to go with!
As of yet, no...
Though, closer to the time, if you still have nobody, get hold of me, I'll consider going with you.

Edit: Ok. So me saying that may seem just a tiny bit odd; some random stranger offering to go along! Meh, oh well!
d123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by CrazyChris)
As of yet, no...
Though, closer to the time, if you still have nobody, get hold of me, I'll consider going with you.

Edit: Ok. So me saying that may seem just a tiny bit odd; some random stranger offering to go along! Meh, oh well!
Haha, no, it doesn't sound too odd.

I notice you live in Plymouth, I used to live there ages ago, until I was about 7
CrazyChris
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by d123)
Haha, no, it doesn't sound too odd.

I notice you live in Plymouth, I used to live there ages ago, until I was about 7
Cool. I'll hopefully be in Cardiff in... less than 6 weeks time. That's scary!
I have a brother currently living in Bromsgrove, not too far outside Birmingham, and he goes to Aston Uni.

Plymouth's a nice place, the only problem I find with it is that it's a bit far out... many events think that Bristol is the furthest South-West they can go; 2 hours to Bristol doesn't sound like much, but that's a 4 hour round trip to see, e.g. Delirious? play [And even longer for Birmingham!]
d123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Cool. I'll hopefully be in Cardiff in... less than 6 weeks time. That's scary!
I have a brother currently living in Bromsgrove, not too far outside Birmingham, and he goes to Aston Uni.

Plymouth's a nice place, the only problem I find with it is that it's a bit far out... many events think that Bristol is the furthest South-West they can go; 2 hours to Bristol doesn't sound like much, but that's a 4 hour round trip to see, e.g. Delirious? play [And even longer for Birmingham!]
What are you going to study at Cardiff?

Yeah I remember when I lived down in the South-west (in Plymouth till I was 7, and then just outside Newton Abbot until I was 13) no bands ever came anywhere near! Haven't been back to Plymouth in a long time, but I've got fond memories of it Where abouts in Plymouth are you from - you never know, we might have actually known each other! Unlikely though.
CrazyChris
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by d123)
What are you going to study at Cardiff?

Yeah I remember when I lived down in the South-west (in Plymouth till I was 7, and then just outside Newton Abbot until I was 13) no bands ever came anywhere near! Haven't been back to Plymouth in a long time, but I've got fond memories of it Where abouts in Plymouth are you from - you never know, we might have actually known each other! Unlikely though.
Hopefully Accounting and Finance, to go on to sort out the governements finances once and for all upon completion of my degree :P

At the time you lived in Plymouth, I lived in Scott Avenue, St Budeaux (I now live in Morice Town/Devonport/Stoke/Keyham, whatever you want to call it!) and went to Plaistow Hill primary (and then St Budeaux Foundation)
It is unlikely, though there may be a few mutual friends/acquantinancea out there!
How about you?
d123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hopefully Accounting and Finance, to go on to sort out the governements finances once and for all upon completion of my degree :P

At the time you lived in Plymouth, I lived in Scott Avenue, St Budeaux (I now live in Morice Town/Devonport/Stoke/Keyham, whatever you want to call it!) and went to Plaistow Hill primary (and then St Budeaux Foundation)
It is unlikely, though there may be a few mutual friends/acquantinancea out there!
How about you?
I lived in Southway for until I was 1, and then Efford for the rest of the time, went to Highfield Primary. Churchwise it was St Pauls Efford, and I can't remember the name of the one in Southway. I was talking to my parents yesterday about random people I remember, it's weird because I've lost contact with everyone but there's quite a few people from primary school I still remember.
CrazyChris
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by d123)
I lived in Southway for until I was 1, and then Efford for the rest of the time, went to Highfield Primary. Churchwise it was St Pauls Efford, and I can't remember the name of the one in Southway. I was talking to my parents yesterday about random people I remember, it's weird because I've lost contact with everyone but there's quite a few people from primary school I still remember.
Cool. It's a shame you've lost contact with everyone, but back in those days the current billions of ways to stay in touch wasn't really existant. It was, but many less had the technology. (Except snail mail/phone calls!)

I don't recognise the school immedaitely, though I may know some who went to the school: I went to Devonport High (for boys!) [grammar school] so people came from alsorts of primary schools rather than a simple community-based catchment area!
animals
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Never heard that song before. Just listened to it and really like it
animals
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

How about you?
I lived in Devonport (I think) but moved away when I was 1 (hence the reason I can't remember the town name, but was definatley Plymouth though).
Redpanda91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
I love that song!

Very brave to stand in front of everyone and sing! I don't think that I could ever do that!
I just sing with my friend Kirstie at the front and lead the congregation, it's not like I'm doing it on my own Although I have sung a couple of duets before, that's scary!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.51%
No (556)
60.9%
Not really bothered about them (188)
20.59%

Watched Threads