Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Christian Society watch

Announcements

(Original post by fleur-de-lis)
    Congrats on your confirmation, yo-less!
    thank you i got to stand next to a hot guy too...

ReputationRep:
    I should have known

it was a very spiritual experiance...

i'm never going to see himagain,he left the countryah well,it's something extra nice to remember the day by

ReputationRep:
    This might seem very strange, but could someone please identify the name of a hymn for me please? I'm terrible remembering both words and hymn titles!

* It's by Matt Redman.
    * The chorus starts with "Surely you are..." and ends with "I turn I trust in you"
    * The chorus chord sequence is:
    Bm F#/A G A Bm F#/A G
    Em7 F# G A Bm F#/A G
    Em9 D/F# G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princess Ana)
    Evangelical, defo

Re your friend - that would be great, if you could
    I asked my friend- he recommended the Didsbury one- it is apparently good, though not very Soul survivor kind of evangelical.

so are you guys anglicans,catholics or what?

i'm an anglican

ReputationRep:
    Anglican :angel:

ReputationRep:
    Can I join? Ta!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here know anything about The Salvation Army? That's my church, and I just wondered what everyone thought about it, I'm not sure how widely known it is?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about the Salvation Army, except their various evengelical / non-evangelical missions worldwide and their missions among the needy. Maybe you can tell us more?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I was just interested in how people viewed us, because I know a lot of people, certainly Americans, don't know that we are a church as well as a charity. In fact, we are primarily a church, and the charity comes next. It's just come to light recently because they are a very big part of the rescue process in New Orleans, and the president went on TV telling people to donate to The Salvation Army's work. When someone later told the president that we were also a church, he was very surprised!!
    Did anybody here know/not know that we are a church?

ReputationRep:
    I know the church part for sure. But the SA is more famous as a charity than as a church.

ReputationRep:
    The Salvation Army features in Guys and Dolls, which is set in the US, (FAB musical, so much fun to do!), and shows it primarily as a church. Everybody should see more musicals, then there would be less confudling

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to change the topic, but this society needs a bit of fodder!
    Apologies if this has been done before, but if you could pick any 5/6 hymns for a service, what would you have?

Mine would be:

* Upon the Throne of God Above - Vikki Cook
    * 'The Look' - Bob Kauflin
    * All I once hold dear - Graham Kendrick
    * All My Days - Stuart Townend
    * With Peace Like A River (It is well with my soul)
    * Jesus My Lord - Stuart Townend

ReputationRep:
    How about a verse for your funeral?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woostarite)
    Sorry to change the topic, but this society needs a bit of fodder!
    Apologies if this has been done before, but if you could pick any 5/6 hymns for a service, what would you have?

Mine would be:

* Upon the Throne of God Above - Vikki Cook
    * 'The Look' - Bob Kauflin
    * All I once hold dear - Graham Kendrick
    * All My Days - Stuart Townend
    * With Peace Like A River (It is well with my soul)
    * Jesus My Lord - Stuart Townend
    Just 5/6? *hunts around for the hymnal*- unless where specified, the hymns are all classic ones.

* Holy, Holy, Holy
    * Agnus Dei
    * Blessed Assurance
    * When I survey the wondrous cross
    * Beautiful One (Tim Hughes)
    * Guide me, O thou great jehovah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jayjayjay)
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleur-de-lis)
    :eek:
    That only looks bad in writing - just what would one like to have read as they pass into the next life...?

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't know.... maybe about resurruction of Christ? And perhaps something from the Corinthians... I really haven't given that much thought!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jayjayjay)
    Well it's not really a hymn, but I might have "I'm going underground" by The Jam playing.
    No not really. :rolleyes:

We sang Beautiful One yesterday morning - I think it's only the second time we've done it. It's not really that popular with the congregation, I doubt we'll do it much again.

I have another hymn to add to my list, but as usual I can't remember what it's called! If you can put me out of my misery and tell me what it is, I'll give you a cookie (and some rep!) Here it is (I know it's by Timothy Dudley-Smith)
    There's also another beauty that I forgot about called "The Look" by Bob Kauflin, but I'm being greedy now!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2011
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.