Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Christian Society watch

Announcements

Yo, before I catch up on these long posts, I had an idea on the bus (it's pretty wild, I know ), but what if the Bible, just as Jesus was fully God and fully man, is fully about us and fully about Jesus.

That sounds really weird.

:hmmm:

Never mind.

It's just that I have only ever really seen the Bible as instructions (sort of) on how to become like Jesus but I've never seen the Bible interpreted in the way the person in that video did. :erm:

I thought Messianism started with Isaiah? :dontknow:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    Yo, before I catch up on these long posts, I had an idea on the bus (it's pretty wild, I know ), but what if the Bible, just as Jesus was fully God and fully man, is fully about us and fully about Jesus.

That sounds really weird.

:hmmm:

Never mind.

It's just that I have only ever really seen the Bible as instructions (sort of) on how to become like Jesus but I've never seen the Bible interpreted in the way the person in that video did. :erm:
    Doesn't sound weird to me at all :p: sounds like exactly what I was trying to get at.

ReputationRep:
    I thought Messianism started with Isaiah? :dontknow:
    Messiah means "anointed one" and for a long time in Israel's history the concept referred only to a current or future human king. The writer of Isaiah 9:2-7 or of 11:1-9 was likely to have had a current king in mind, rather than Jesus. Of course, as Christians we will see that their full significance is understood in light of Jesus Christ, but both perspectives can be meaningful. : )
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by sparklysparkles)
    Oh, that's cool I've never been around anyone that's experienced healing before... CofS has several good points, but being very open and emotive isn't one of them tbh!
    I've been at momentum, a student branch of soul survivor, and wow is it about letting the spirit work. (and so so open about letting things happen. anything seems to go really!)

I've been asleep since I got back but wanted to have a quick read through of all the postings before I left again. I shall have lots of things to add to and thing about when I get properly back!

Greenbelt here I come!

(Original post by Magnum Opus)
    x
    Thanks Wasn't sure if you'd got the message or not, internet was a wee bit of a mare..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowbex)
    Don't worry.. I don't have a home church either. It sucks, but atm considering things don't appear to be going horribly horribly wrong, I think I'm ok. I do have momentum from sat and I am doing some online christian things.

I miss bristol

this is my church. its a mission driven church and very studenty. Bristol has a couple of big churches though, and tbh the CU really isn't bad at all compared to some of the stuff I hear about some CU's.

How are you? Thanks for the bible recommendations btw, I think I'll have a wee look at momentum. I need to take a bible with me. Ach!

xx
    Had no idea you were going to Momentum!

Anyone else gone to get their dose of pentecostalism at Soul Survivor or Momentum recently? I had a great time working on fringe team at Week C!

ReputationRep:
    PS well done anyone who got results! I don't have the energy to go through 5 pages of this now but I'm hoping you all did well and have had a good couple of weeks. (Let me know if anything important happened)!

And if you are starting uni and thinking about churches... try:
    http://www.fusion.uk.com/missiontools/studentlinkuporg
    :-)

(Original post by Calumcalum)
    Anyone else gone to get their dose of pentecostalism at Soul Survivor or Momentum recently? I had a great time working on fringe team at Week C!
    Loads of young people :ninja: at my church went to Soul Survivor. I think some went in the first week, some in the second week and a few people in the third week...

How many weeks were there? :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    Loads of young people :ninja: at my church went to Soul Survivor. I think some went in the first week, some in the second week and a few people in the third week...

How many weeks were there? :unsure:
    Ermmm Week A is up north, then they have Weeks B and C down South and then Momentum (for students and 20-30 somethings) down south as well :-)

Ermmm Week A is up north, then they have Weeks B and C down South and then Momentum (for students and 20-30 somethings) down south as well :-)
    Whoa

I have no idea who went where then. :o:

What's the fringe team?

ReputationRep:
    Whoa

I have no idea who went where then. :o:

What's the fringe team?
    Doesn't matter! Fringe is the team who go around looking for people who aren't really engaged with the spiritual stuff (mainly the main meetings) or who just look lonely or could do with a chat, and we also have a cafe for people to drop in and play games or whatever (and a 'hotspot' session which is basically religious Q&A which was good fun!). Are you not counted as young anymore then?

Doesn't matter! Fringe is the team who go around looking for people who aren't really engaged with the spiritual stuff (mainly the main meetings) or who just look lonely or could do with a chat, and we also have a cafe for people to drop in and play games or whatever (and a 'hotspot' session which is basically religious Q&A which was good fun!). Are you not counted as young anymore then?
    Sounds good

Oh, yes!

But I never really know what to call the people in my age group :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good

Oh, yes!

But I never really know what to call the people in my age group :dontknow:
    I'd try to help but I don't know how old you are. :woo:

I'd try to help but I don't know how old you are. :woo:
    19 :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 too. I tend to think of myself as a... umm actually I don't know! :p: I guess "Young adult" but that makes me think of the library books that are for 13 year olds..

Oh wait, I'm a "student"! That's what I'm called

:idea:

Well, there are quite a few people of student age in the "youth group" (again, I don't know what to call it!) at church, but most of the people are still in school.

Hence the confusion. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, I'm 19 in 3 days :p: Try out Momentum next year if you can handle Pentecostalism!

P.S. The most common words I use to refer to myself are 'prick' and 'Bible-basher'. I doubt you'd appreciate any of them... just hold on to teenager while you still can!

Ahhh, I'm 19 in 3 days :p: Try out Momentum next year if you can handle Pentecostalism!

P.S. The most common words I use to refer to myself are 'prick' and 'Bible-basher'. I doubt you'd appreciate any of them... just hold on to teenager while you still can!
    Loads of people recommended Soul Survivor to me when they came back from their week, but I'm likely to be doing an internship next summer (and maybe even the summer after that) so it's looking unlikely :bawling:

Oh, I should be able to handle it. :sexface:

:rofl2:
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Loads of people recommended Soul Survivor to me when they came back from their week, but I'm likely to be doing an internship next summer (and maybe even the summer after that) so it's looking unlikely :bawling:

Oh, I should be able to handle it. :sexface:

:rofl2:
    come to momentum pols! I had a great time! I'm still buzzing and off to Greenbelt tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowbex)
    come to momentum pols! I had a great time! I'm still buzzing and off to Greenbelt tomorrow!
    Aw, have a lovely time! : ) I'm very jealous, wish I was going but I don't know anyone who can this year. No late night twist for me...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2011
Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.