PYA4 Wednesday! - Psychology 2,3 & 5 Q&A

Watch
Stex Bomb
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Okay, heres a thread for all the psychologists (yes, you students ) who are doing questions 2,3 & 5 on wednesday..

If you've got any questions, we'll all help to answer it etc.

Heres the course!

Aggression :-
SLT - Bandura
Deindividuation - Zimbardo

Enviromental in Aggression :-
(Personally)
Temp - Anderson, Macfarlane
Crowding - MacIntyre, Cahoun
Noise - Geen + O'Neal, Evans

Altruism:-
Empathy Altruistic theory - Batson
Negative state-relief - Cialdini

Bystander:-

Cognitive/Decision model - Latané and Darley
Cost/Reward model - Piliavin

Media affects on pro and anti - Loads of various ones

Attraction:-
Walster, Murstein, Buss etc
Propiquity effect - Festinger

Formation/Maintenance:-

Social exchange theory
Filter theory
Reinforcement/Affect - Byrne
Equity theory - Walster

Love:-
Hatfield and Walster - Three factor theory
Sternberg - Triangular theory

Breakdown:-

Duck - dissolution model
Lee - breakdown model

Understudied relationships + Culture:-
Loads of little ones

Rhythms:-
Infradian, Ultradian, Circadian
Endogenous pacemakers + Exogenous zeitgebers

Sleeping:-
Evolutionary (Meddis)
Restorative (Oswald)
Sleep deprivation:-
Greenberg, Moldofsky + Scarisbrick, Agnew+Webb+Williams,
Rideout

Dreaming:-

Freud, Crick and Mitchison, Cartwright, Hobson+McCarley

From memory
username252048
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH!
I'm taking that on Wed. I was really pankicking that I didn't know enough... But I know pretty much all of what they were. yessss! Haha
Woo!
username252048
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Can you use those? I thought they were maintanace?
Although... that's going to be far easier to write about those instead of the other ones I was looking at. Cheers
Last edited by RK; 2 months ago
Kizz91
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
AAAAAAARGH!
It's too soon...I spent all day doing Personality/Gender/Adoloscence though so I should be ok on those....animals I am totally stuffed for unless it's navigation, that's the bit I understood lol...relationships I think I've forgotten by now!!

I realise only 2 is relevent but...I'm stressing lol so I thought I'd post...
MDEH8176
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Psychology exams are so bad - it's just one big memory test! If you can remember a lot of studies/names and have decent english skills then it's a B+. I got an A last year and I put it down to the fact that I basically memorised most of my notes.
LastLordofTime
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The first two ARE for maintenence o-o Lee and Duck are the two dissolution ones.

I'm doing the latter two. For Relationships I've predicted that Explanations of Love will come up, and that formation/maintenence of relationships wont, with understudied relationships being unlikely.

For Bio-rhythms, Functions of sleep and theories of dreaming are the two I've predicted to come up, with research in to biological rhythms/disrupting them being unlikely to come up.

I'm also doing the one on personality development, where I think gender development will come up.
MDEH8176
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I started predicting what will come up as well (based on past papers). I have a feeling models of bystander behaviour/human altruism and explanations of love. For determinants of animal behaviour i'm hoping intelligence in non-human animals or social learning in non-human animals will come up - unlikely i think though? I'm not doing dreams and sleep; the module was rushed through during the last few weeks before xmas. It just went over all our heads!
Stex Bomb
Rep:
?
I really don't want formation/maintenence to come up.
For me its :

1. Circadian Rhythms/Sleep
2. Aggression/Altruism
3. Love/Breakdown

So i've got 6 that I wouldnt mind

I'll check this later guys, I've gotta revise nature of dreaming and understudied relationships tonight

THEN I AM DONE WITH PSYCH REVISION, FINALLYYYYY
LastLordofTime
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=211

There's plenty of posts/threads in there that will probably help everyone.
louboutin*
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I was wondering if anyone could help me with research into biological rhythms? I know loads for Circadian like Siffre,Aschoff and Wever,Folkard etc. But my notes on ultradian don't have anything about actual studies.My teacher said to use studies from the rest of the module, but I'm not sure which and how to make them relevant?
J35sica
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
I think the relationships question will either be psychological explanations of love, breakdown or cultural differences
I hope the dreams question is on endogenous pacemakers and exogenous zeitgebers
And for evolutionary psychology I hope the Q is on evolution of intelligence or sexual selection
I hate this exam so much
Jaz8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Is anybody doing Brain & Behaviour? If so...predictions as to which question will come up...

Also, as it's the last year of the syllabus, they could just chuck anything in, forgetting the pattern... :/
Bloody hell...I hate exams :stomp:
J35sica
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by louboutin*)
I was wondering if anyone could help me with research into biological rhythms??
That question came up on the June 08 exam didn't it? I wouldn't worry about it if I were you...
xxaimeexx
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I was wondering if anyone could help me with research into biological rhythms? I know loads for Circadian like Siffre,Aschoff and Wever,Folkard etc. But my notes on ultradian don't have anything about actual studies.My teacher said to use studies from the rest of the module, but I'm not sure which and how to make them relevant?
We were told not to really focus on ultradian rhythms since there isn't a lot of information on it. I've only learnt circadian and infradian rhythms, but for ultradian it's about the different stages of sleep- as far as i can remember there isn't any research studies.
louboutin*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by xxaimeexx)
We were told not to really focus on ultradian rhythms since there isn't a lot of information on it. I've only learnt circadian and infradian rhythms, but for ultradian it's about the different stages of sleep- as far as i can remember there isn't any research studies.
Ok thanks,maybe I will try and just stick with them two. I know it's unlikely to come up but want to be prepared just in case,especially becuase its the last year who knows what they might throw in
Stex Bomb
Rep:
?
Just been revising guise.

found a really nice way to remember one particular study

Nature of dreams :

Bokert (of water) deprived participants of water and found that they dreamt of thirst and craving of water.

A02: Demand characteristics?
A02: Suggests a function and meaning of dreams! Linked with problem solving? - Cartwright

epic win
louboutin*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've just been going back over my notes on dissolution and have got myself all confused Basically I've got notes on reasons for breakdown according to Duck which are:lack of skills,lack of stimulation and maintenance difficulties. Then I've got Duck's model of dissolution and a small bit about Lee's model of dissolution. So I was looking at all the past questions and one is outline and evaluate two explanations relating to the breakdown of relationships. So what do I include?
J35sica
Report 12 years ago
I've just been going back over my notes on dissolution and have got myself all confused Basically I've got notes on reasons for breakdown according to Duck which are:lack of skills,lack of stimulation and maintenance difficulties. Then I've got Duck's model of dissolution and a small bit about Lee's model of dissolution. So I was looking at all the past questions and one is outline and evaluate two explanations relating to the breakdown of relationships. So what do I include?
I would do it like this:

1. Duck's reasons for breakdown
2. Duck's model of the process of breakdown
And then use Lee's model as an alternative explanation to evaluate Duck's model.
jadakiss
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ye as above, or i do:-

1. Explain Duck
2. Evaluate Duck. 2 Strengths 2 Limitations
3.Explain Lee
4.Evaluate Lee. 2 Strenghts 2 Limitations
5.Evaluate them in General
6. Conclude
hhhhhhhh
Report 12 years ago
Do they ever ask questions on just Human altruism? Or is it always human altruism/bystander behaviour. Because I know bystander behaviour well, but not so much altruism.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (166)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (498)
14.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (379)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (473)
13.94%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (164)
4.83%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (208)
6.13%
Loneliness (288)
8.49%
Financial worries (122)
3.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (137)
4.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (155)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (186)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (302)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (315)
9.28%

Watched Threads