Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ...what A-levels would you recommend taking for those wishing to become an actuary? I'm considering taking A-Levels in Pure Maths, Statistics, Economics & Business. Would you say that these are the best choices for actuarial careers?

Secondly, what about A-Level Accounting? How relevant is that to actuarial work? I read that A-Level accounting is "Not universally accepted, even as a third A-level". Could someone please make it a little clearer what they mean by this?

And thirdly, as you noticed I am most likely going to study A-levels in Pure Maths & Stats. Does anyone know if I'd need any Mechanics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevie G)
    ...what A-levels would you recommend taking for those wishing to become an actuary? I'm considering taking A-Levels in Pure Maths, Statistics, Economics & Business. Would you say that these are the best choices for actuarial careers?

Secondly, what about A-Level Accounting? How relevant is that to actuarial work? I read that A-Level accounting is "Not universally accepted, even as a third A-level". Could someone please make it a little clearer what they mean by this?

And thirdly, as you noticed I am most likely going to study A-levels in Pure Maths & Stats. Does anyone know if I'd need any Mechanics?
    I don't know but a level accounting is solid well in my perpective it is anyway. I think it is universally accepted not like general studies.

It depends on whether you want to go onto actuarial science degree course or get your maths degree first and then study for exams. I believe most sponsors would probably wish you to have a degree in maths as your knowlege will be both broader and deeper. Anyway having a maths degree exempts you from as much of the actuarial exams as a degree in actuarial science.
    I can't see any connection with A level accountancy and actuarial studies. There isn't even much use having accountancy a level for eventual employment as an accountant. I think the fact that a level accounting is not accepted as a third a-level for uni application is probably because it's not rigorously academic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    It depends on whether you want to go onto actuarial science degree course or get your maths degree first and then study for exams. I believe most sponsors would probably wish you to have a degree in maths as your knowlege will be both broader and deeper. Anyway having a maths degree exempts you from as much of the actuarial exams as a degree in actuarial science.
    I can't see any connection with A level accountancy and actuarial studies. There isn't even much use having accountancy a level for eventual employment as an accountant. I think the fact that a level accounting is not accepted as a third a-level for uni application is probably because it's not rigorously academic.
    Would you say that's a definite 'no' for accounting then? I would much rather only sit 4 A-Levels anyway.

And how about the choice of Maths units? Does anyone know about that?

ReputationRep:
    I doubt Mechanics will be useful to you if you want to be an actuary, as it's like Physics. Stats will be more beneficial.

Would you say that's a definite 'no' for accounting then? I would much rather only sit 4 A-Levels anyway.

And how about the choice of Maths units? Does anyone know about that?
    Accountancy a-level would, in my opinion, be a waste of an a-level as it is not required for entry to actuarial science or maths degree, nor are 4 a2's either.
    Some would say concentrate on 3 a2's and get better grades as you're less stretched syllabus wise. That's provided you also have one or 2 as's.
    As for maths units, get a good all-round range as most maths degree courses are less traditional these days (unless you go to Bath, Bristol, Cambridge or St. Andrews where their degree composition is very traditional.) Obviously statistics are an important part of an actuary's job but what you study now will not really give you an edge when it comes to practice as after many more years of study you will be up to your eyeballs in statistics!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    I doubt Mechanics will be useful to you if you want to be an actuary, as it's like Physics. Stats will be more beneficial.
    I know Stats is definitely more relevant, but I thought they may prefer a small amount of Mechanics just to broaden your Maths knowledge a little, even if it is only M1 or M2. Just a thought really, thought it might be worth asking.

ReputationRep:
    I know Stats is definitely more relevant, but I thought they may prefer a small amount of Mechanics just to broaden your Maths knowledge a little, even if it is only M1 or M2. Just a thought really, thought it might be worth asking.
    I wouldnt even do 2 sets of maths! I reckon A2 maths and AS further maths would be enough to get u into uni studying maths (the best route for actuarial careers). Then in the other subjects do ones u enjoy doing/are good at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by :P:P:P:P:P)
    I wouldnt even do 2 sets of maths! I reckon A2 maths and AS further maths would be enough to get u into uni studying maths (the best route for actuarial careers). Then in the other subjects do ones u enjoy doing/are good at.

What units would AS Further Maths consist of?

ReputationRep:

I'd recommend Maths, Further Maths, Economics.

ReputationRep:
    For Edexcel, I know that you'd do P4 and 2 applied modules (one of which would have to be an A2 module).

ReputationRep:
    Usually its P4 P5 and an applied AS level ... like D1

OR

P4 and an a2 applied and an as applied

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone here who actually thinks that to become an actuary, it's best to study actuarial science, rather than Maths? I just assumed it would be, but people here have told me otherwise, and I don't really know much about degrees yet.

If I'm going for a Maths degree, then I might have a little re-think about my A-Level subjects, though I doubt it would change much.

ReputationRep:
    If I'm going for a Maths degree, then I might have a little re-think about my A-Level subjects, though I doubt it would change much.
    Your subjects are probably fine. I know someone doing Maths and they did Maths, French and English Lit for A Level.

ReputationRep:
    So Stevie G, why exactly do you want to be an actuary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    So Stevie G, why exactly do you want to be an actuary?
    lol, nice little interviewing tone you've got there. Don't worry, it's not just for the money, I do genuinely enjoy the mathematical problem-solving side of it. Oh, and because I find pure science subjects a little dull (probably because I'm not that good at them).

ReputationRep:
    you find pure sciences a little dull? but what is maths if not a pure science?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    you find pure sciences a little dull? but what is maths if not a pure science?
    I knew it was considered a science subject, but I wasn't aware it was a pure science subject. What I meant by 'pure science' was Biology, Chemistry & Physics.

ReputationRep:
    lol, nice little interviewing tone you've got there. Don't worry, it's not just for the money, I do genuinely enjoy the mathematical problem-solving side of it. Oh, and because I find pure science subjects a little dull.
    I wanted to become an actuary for ages... i talked to someone who worked for 1 of the big firms and she said that an actuarial degree is not that much more useful than maths, because the training is on the job (you do 15 exams before you qualify- usually takes between 3 and 6 years- if you do an actuarial science degree you get exempt for a couple of these). I'd say go for plain maths- acturial work is so hard to get into and if you change your mind about it for whatever reason you have so many more options with a maths degree. Another little point, don't feel a maths degree is your only other option, apparently as long as it is maths-based it is suitable for actuarial work- so that's pretty much any core science, or maybe a joint honours (i applied for maths and psychology)... you definately don't need further maths to do maths at uni- the subject is quite different and they presume that people don't have FM (loads of places don't offer it- i don't have it + the unis i've applied to says it won't make a difference + they like the fact that someone has a broader range of subjects). hope this all helps + good luck!

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    I wanted to become an actuary for ages... i talked to someone who worked for 1 of the big firms and she said that an actuarial degree is not that much more useful than maths, because the training is on the job (you do 15 exams before you qualify- usually takes between 3 and 6 years- if you do an actuarial science degree you get exempt for a couple of these). I'd say go for plain maths- acturial work is so hard to get into and if you change your mind about it for whatever reason you have so many more options with a maths degree. Another little point, don't feel a maths degree is your only other option, apparently as long as it is maths-based it is suitable for actuarial work- so that's pretty much any core science, or maybe a joint honours (i applied for maths and psychology)... you definately don't need further maths to do maths at uni- the subject is quite different and they presume that people don't have FM (loads of places don't offer it- i don't have it + the unis i've applied to says it won't make a difference + they like the fact that someone has a broader range of subjects). hope this all helps + good luck!

lou xxx
    Thanks, lou, I hadn't really given my degree much thought at all really, just do my AS' first, then start thinking about universities at A2.

You say you wanted to become an actuary for ages. Have you changed your mind or do you still want to do it?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.