Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    the refferendam when will it come? whats the real reason for tony blair fobbing off the country with pointless excuses i say bring it on , i think he is scared people will say NO!

(Original post by Eámanë)
    the refferendam when will it come? whats the real reason for tony blair fobbing off the country with pointless excuses i say bring it on , i think he is scared people will say NO!
    A referendum is premature until this country has satisfied the criteria for entering the 'euro'.
    When we are in a position to satisfy that criteria then I am sure that like the countries who have adopted the euro we shall have our referendum.
    Incidentally, I think it wil be great to travel to other countries in the EU without the necessity of changing our crrency into euro - it will save a lot of money on losses due to commission and exchange rates.
    P.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    A referendum is premature until this country has satisfied the criteria for entering the 'euro'.
    When we are in a position to satisfy that criteria then I am sure that like the countries who have adopted the euro we shall have our referendum.
    Incidentally, I think it wil be great to travel to other countries in the EU without the necessity of changing our crrency into euro - it will save a lot of money on losses due to commission and exchange rates.
    P.
    and thats the grand reason!?! so you dont have to nip down to the Post Office?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    P.
    the criteria, we will probably never fufill it, well with gordon Brown there anyway.

(Original post by vienna95)
    Not the grand nor only reason but certainly something in it's favour.
    I know you are quarrelsome but I thought sarcasm was below your wit!
    P.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnregisteredP)
    Not the grand nor only reason but certainly something in it's favour.
    I know you are quarrelsome but I thought sarcasm was below your wit!
    P.
    where is the sarcasm there?

Sarcasm! In your quote, is it not? Stop being so silly.
    P.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnregisteredP)
    Sarcasm! In your quote, is it not? Stop being so silly.
    P.
    *sighs*

ReputationRep:
    *sighs*
    From a neutral point of view, there was sarcasm in your post.
    You are coming across as quite arrogant Vienna, it is not your style.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    From a neutral point of view, there was sarcasm in your post.
    You are coming across as quite arrogant Vienna, it is not your style.
    "I think it wil be great to travel to other countries in the EU without the necessity of changing our crrency into euro"...

do you blame me?

ReputationRep:
    ill be voting 'no' to the euro for the foreseeable future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotnanoo)
    why?
    economic and political reasons. cant be arsed to type them out, sorry. check out http://www.no-euro.com/ for all conceivable reasons why not.

ReputationRep:
    economic and political reasons. cant be arsed to type them out, sorry. check out http://www.no-euro.com/ for all conceivable reasons why not.
    Hahahaha. Ok.

ReputationRep:
    It's alright i'm lazy aswell but just started to get interested in this topic about the Euro, thanks anyways Edders

ReputationRep:
    A site that is close to my heart;

Yes to the Euro

ReputationRep:
    heres 10 reasons why according to that website:

1 The British economy is different to the Eurozone and needs different policies. We do more of our trade (57 percent) with countries outside the Eurozone, and we receive large amounts of our investment from the US. The Bank of England currently sets interest rates according to the needs of the British economy. Inside the euro we would have to accept a single interest rate set by the European Central Bank in Frankfurt which would usually be wrong for us.

2 We don’t need to join the euro to trade with Europe. Since the launch of the euro, the value of British trade with the EU has risen by 25 percent.

3 The last time we linked our currencies with Europe, in the Exchange Rate Mechanism (1990-92), was a disaster. Unemployment doubled and we lost 100,000 businesses. We don’t want to make the same mistake.

4 A European currency needs a European tax to make it work – this means higher taxes. Although some taxes in the Eurozone are lower, like on cigarettes and alcohol, overall taxes are a sixth higher.

5 The British economy is doing well outside the euro. Unemployment in the Eurozone is nearly double the British rate. We have the lowest inflation in the EU and we receive the most foreign investment in the EU – more than France and Germany combined.

6 We do more of our trade in dollars than euros. If we joined the euro, which has been highly volatile against the dollar, it would destabilise British trade.

7 The major euro economies have bankrupt state pension systems. Joining the euro would be like opening up a joint bank account with people going bust.

8 The Government should be doing what it was elected to do – sorting out our public services – not wasting time and taxpayers’ money on the euro. In February 2002, the Government was warned by the European Commission that if we were inside the euro, we would have had to cut spending on public services by £10 billion to comply with the spending rules of the euro.

9 Joining the euro means more than a single currency – it means Economic and Monetary Union. In the Eurozone it is openly admitted that the aim of EMU is political union. A single currency is the first step towards a single state.

10 Now, we can vote out politicians if they perform badly. Inside the euro, economic decisions would be made by unelected officials in Brussels and Frankfurt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    A site that is close to my heart;

Yes to the Euro
    We should join the Euro.. but I'm not too sure about having a referendum on it because a lot of people don't understand the reasons why we should.. they probably vote no based on the fact that the notes look like monopoly money.. :rolleyes:

No referendum until the people can make an INFORMED decision. Most of the population know so little about the European community it's embarassing!

ReputationRep:
    Agreed.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.