Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, just quickly discuss my problem.
    I basically cannot be taken seriously, for example this term in particular at uni, I have done a few presentations and chipped in with participation - but when i say something, anything, some people smile, if not try to conceal a giggle. It is downright worrying, and my brother in the last year has sneekily videod me when i wasn't aware because he thinks im funny - thats a bit worrying. But yes when i look at the videos, i do sound funny and my hand actions and facial expressions do appear to be sarcastic and taking the píss ina dry sort of way.

The trouble is i think i come across as really dry wit, taking the píss in a way - perhaps come across as sarcastic - i'm not overly happy about this, fine people laugh and thats a good thing, but people are laughing at me, not with me - i'm not cracking any jokes. Its a slight worry because im being misunderstood. I wonder what my reports will be - trouble is maybe i come across as too serious, and then people diss that because they think im really taking the you know what. I hope i don't get bad reports, i have contributed well in seminars, but people may get the wrong end of the stick.

Anyone else have this problem?

ReputationRep:
    Im sort of at least happy i do make people laugh, but its not intentional - i've always thought im qutie a boring person but i look so expressive, it does take the píss a little - maybe i should tone my expressions down.

But if ppl have similar thing like this, please share your experiences...it does annoy me though - i get quite patronised at times because of my personality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard)
    I basically cannot be taken seriously, for example this term in particular at uni, I have done a few presentations and chipped in with participation - but when i say something, anything, some people smile, if not try to conceal a giggle. It is downright worrying, and my brother in the last year has sneekily videod me when i wasn't aware because he thinks im funny - thats a bit worrying. But yes when i look at the videos, i do sound funny and my hand actions and facial expressions do appear to be sarcastic and taking the píss ina dry sort of way.

The trouble is i think i come across as really dry wit, taking the píss in a way - perhaps come across as sarcastic - i'm not overly happy about this, fine people laugh and thats a good thing, but people are laughing at me, not with me - i'm not cracking any jokes. Its a slight worry because im being misunderstood. I wonder what my reports will be - trouble is maybe i come across as too serious, and then people diss that because they think im really taking the you know what. I hope i don't get bad reports, i have contributed well in seminars, but people may get the wrong end of the stick.

Anyone else have this problem?
    my sis has the same problem, everone always thinks she's having a laugh and is always being sarcastic! I don't think you can do anything if you get a bad report to be honest..you're in a tight spot but I think sooner or later people will figure out you're being natural and that's just how you are, they'll soon stop laughing..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard)
    Maybe this is a blessing. The ability to make people laugh can earn you a lot of money if you perfect it. Go with the force Luke.

ReputationRep:
    Luke? Whos luke? I had someone on a previous post mention that i was luke but really im not - or is this a referral to Luke Skywalker? Or whatever his name is? Im not into sci-fi, but have a few friends that are.

Its just one of those things to be honest - i began to think "**** i have a problem". 1st year of uni (last year), did a 5 minute presentation in politics - and i was interrupted about half way through with a girl almost píssing herself at the far end of the room....i had a few nerves that day, but still thought i did ok, she had a look on her saying "is he for real" - again, i think she thought i was taking the piss or just generally very odd!

Having said that, another politics class later in the year, i píssed myself at another bloke, again he wasn't trying to be funny - im sort of relieved in a way because you're making someone laugh at the end of the day and maybe im not as boring as i thought i was.

I won't change myself, but i tried toning it down this morning in class, but ppl were still smirking. Another instance, couple of ppl were looking at the student house me and my friends have, one girl asked "Whats the landlord like?", at which i replied "you have to push". Again, she thought i was kidding and started laughing, but she was the only one of us laughing. Ummm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Maybe this is a blessing. The ability to make people laugh can earn you a lot of money if you perfect it. Go with the force Luke.
    It always comes round to money with you Howie

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.